• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Berrick Barnes

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Halangahu aswell ? Are these boys coming back to the Uni line up if so I don't see Bernard Foley playing Finals football which would be a real shame.

Bernard Foley derserves his spot at the moment. i can see hangers coming back in to fullback for barnes and carter slotting in. It would be terrible to think Foley wouldnt be running the team he has been fantastic the last couple of weeks.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Berrick would know that he needs his name in be in the frame now to be any chance of making the RWC squad, so the timing is right to be pro-active.

Not sure who I would prefer out of Barnes or Giteau if the decision needs to be made. Giteau runs sideways too much and Barnes kicks the ball away too much.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
does barnes kick to much?
i think thats more a misconception than reality.
the tahs got that wrap this year but berrick didnt actually play that much nor was he the main problem. The poor execution of the kicks was more of a problem than the volume and again, it wasnt Berrick doing it non stop. The guy is great backup for the 10/12 channel and has a combination with quade, he deserves a spot if fit.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Just a thought - does anyone else think that someone like Pat McCabe may be a better fit in the current Wallabies than Barnes?

I am not arguing that McCabe is a better player, and I know it is very early days with him at 12, but it seems to me we mainly need someone to straighten the attack, run holes and defend strongly. McCabe seems to fit this bill. Barnes is fine in defence, and I am not arguing he can't run a hole, but is more a ball playing/second kicker in attack and I am not sure that is what the Wallabies need with the likes of O'Conner & Beale floating around the field.

I wouldn't be disappointed to see Barnes force his way into 12, and certainly think he will be a big plus in the WC squad. I just wonder if the overall backline is better balanced with a hard, straight runner like McCabe.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree TSR and so I see Giteau/Barnes competing for a bench spot.

Not sure about Barnes' combination with Quade Waju.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
i agree, even last year coopers leadership seemed to be off a little and i would have defended Barnes inclusion to the end just for the sure hand he lends to others and his ability to organise, this year not so much. That said i still think he should be in a wallaby 22, he offers to much to not be.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I think Barnes should be there. Covers 10 and 12 plus he has played a lot with Quade so that is a bonus. He should make the 30 man squad and would go very close to the best 22.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Berrick would know that he needs his name in be in the frame now to be any chance of making the RWC squad, so the timing is right to be pro-active.

Not sure who I would prefer out of Barnes or Giteau if the decision needs to be made. Giteau runs sideways too much and Barnes kicks the ball away too much.

You sometimes need a guy who kicks. You never need a guy who crabs.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Barnes would be valuable in the 22 or the 30.

He is still the 2nd best 10 in the country.

He also has a long enough pass for us to at least approximate our usual style of play in Cooper's absence, which also makes him perfect if Cooper needs a rest. With Gits or Beale we'd necessarily revert to a narrower game.

H

H...

Would like to have Berrick in the 22. Him and burgess as the replacement backs (and Turner if they go with 3).

I'd rather not see him in the 15, as if he gets a head knock in the semi, we have to have a relatively inexperienced player play in the Final. Those same guys (McCabe or Ant) can use the next 6 tests to gain very valuable playing time.

I know I know, anyone can get injured but the concussion patient is at much greater risk, I would think.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Barnes would be valuable in the 22 or the 30.

He is still the 2nd best 10 in the country.

I dont agree that he his. He is certainly one of the most experienced but personally I think an inexperienced JOC (James O'Connor) would be pretty damn good also.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I dont agree that he his. He is certainly one of the most experienced but personally I think an inexperienced JOC (James O'Connor) would be pretty damn good also.

JOC (James O'Connor) is a 12, longterm he is a 12, please please dont let him become another matt giteau and think he runs a team, he is not a leader he is a fantastic player in a team and should be part of a backline not in charge of one. He has more responsability than he should at the force due to the lack of quality backline options, his best asset is his footwork, having him in closer will cause him to become a distributor and not a runner and this will take away from his game not ad to it.

H

H...

JOC (James O'Connor) is a 12, longterm he is a 12, please please dont let him become another matt giteau and think he runs a team, he is not a leader he is a fantastic player in a team and should be part of a backline not in charge of one. He has more responsability than he should at the force due to the lack of quality backline options, his best asset is his footwork, having him in closer will cause him to become a distributor and not a runner and this will take away from his game not ad to it.

Then perhaps he should be a 13.

He's not big enough to play 12, at least not yet.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Agree completely. JOC (James O'Connor) might be our second best halfback as well, but he sure as hell ain't gonna play there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom