• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Best All Black team and opposition named 1984-2008

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chriscullen

The well respected and new edition NZ Rugby Almanack is out and in my hands. It is the 75th edition and the authors named a best All Black team of the past 25 yrs 1984-2008. Also anmed was an opposition XV to oppose them. A lot of aussies were included.Teams as follows :
The 1984-2008 team: Christian Cullen, John Kirwan, Frank Bunce, Jeff Wilson, Warwick Taylor, Daniel Carter, Justin Marshall, Wayne Shelford, Richie McCaw, Michael Jones, Ian Jones, Gary Whetton, Carl Hayman, Sean Fitzpatrick, Olo Brown. Reserves: Andy Dalton, Steve McDowell, Ali Williams, Zinzan Brooke, Graeme Bachop, Andrew Mehrtens, Doug Howlett.

Its opposition: Matthew Burke, Philippe Saint-Andre, Philippe Sella, Tim Horan, David Campese, Jonathon Davies, Nick Farr-Jones, Toutai Kefu, Laurent Cabannes, John Eales, Mark Andrews, Simon Poidevein, Enrique Rodriguez, Phil Kearns, Jason Leonard. Reserves: John Smit, Os du Randt, Martin Johnson, George Gregan, Stephen Larkham, Andrew Slack.

The major talking point was lomu missing out.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The major talking point was lomu missing out.

I bet the most dominate player at two world cups, more so 95 than 99 but still easily the most devastating ball runner in the history of rugby.

11 Aussies in the world team, although when picked by kiwis it would be expected as we to tend to lift for the All Blacks unlike most NH sides.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have a hard time accepting that Kefu could get in over Cornelsen... especially given the bearded wonder played at a time when Aussie rugby was regularly whipped.

In any case, Lomu missed out because he was the most dominant BALL RUNNER in his position, but pants on defence. Kirwan and Wilson were easily better, just not as spectacular to watch.

R

Red Beard

I agree with the Lomu decision. Awesome with ball in hand but offered very little else in terms of workrate off the ball and could never be accused of possessing one of the great rugby brains of all time.

Naming two tighthead props in the lineup doesnt give the selectors much credibility either in my book.

F

formeropenside

NTA said:
Have a hard time accepting that Kefu could get in over Cornelsen... especially given the bearded wonder played at a time when Aussie rugby was regularly whipped.

In any case, Lomu missed out because he was the most dominant BALL RUNNER in his position, but pants on defence. Kirwan and Wilson were easily better, just not as spectacular to watch.

I dont know that Cornelson was playing in 84. But its pretty quiet on the early years in that period.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'd have Dean Richards over Toutai.

I'd have Tim Gavin over Toutai.

I'd be very close to having Wycliffe Palu over Toutai.

I was never a big fan of Wilson. I have a feeling he was at his peak around 96/97 when I was in the US and didn't see much rugby, but I could never see what the big deal with him was.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
No-one better than Meg Marshall? How about a HB who could pass?

I'm a huge fan of Goldie. I would pick him ahead of Campo on the same grounds as being picked ahead of Lomu.

And Davies over Larkham? No thanks.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Scarfman said:
No-one better than Meg Marshall? How about a HB who could pass?

I'm a huge fan of Goldie. I would pick him ahead of Campo on the same grounds as being picked ahead of Lomu.

And Davies over Larkham? No thanks.
You are kidding about Campo? Sure he had flaws, but he score a lot of tries, and often when we really needed them. Like Cullen, he was a game breaker. At his peak I would pick him every time.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
my aussie team for the same period:

15 Matthew Burke; 14 Ben Tune; 13 Stirling Mortlock; 12 Tim Horan; 11 David Campese; 10 Michael Lynagh*; 9 Nick Farr-Jones; 8 Tim Gavin; 7 George Smith; 6 Willie Ofahangaue; 5 John Eales; 4 Steve Cutler; 3 Ewen McKenzie; 2 Phil Kearns; 1 Topo Rodrigez

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The first person to be selected in any "best of" team for the last 30 years is Mark Ella. You obviously didn't see him play, Noddy.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
my teams are always for 1984 onwards, starting with the grandslam.

If I was going to pick someone on the basis of a solitary 4 games then Nigel Kasulke or Dominic MacQuire would be my outside centre.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Matthew Burke, Philippe Saint-Andre, Philippe Sella, Tim Horan, David Campese, Jonathon Davies, Nick Farr-Jones, Toutai Kefu, Laurent Cabannes, John Eales, Mark Andrews, Simon Poidevein, Enrique Rodriguez, Phil Kearns, Jason Leonard. Reserves: John Smit, Os du Randt, Martin Johnson, George Gregan, Stephen Larkham, Andrew Slack.

No Richard Hill?

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Noddy said:
my aussie team for the same period:

15 Matthew Burke; 14 Ben Tune; 13 Stirling Mortlock; 12 Tim Horan; 11 David Campese; 10 Michael Lynagh*; 9 Nick Farr-Jones; 8 Tim Gavin; 7 George Smith; 6 Willie Ofahangaue; 5 John Eales; 4 Steve Cutler; 3 Ewen McKenzie; 2 Phil Kearns; 1 Topo Rodrigez

Excellent team. I think the most influential 6 of the last 25 years was not Willie O. but Owen F. We've only just managed to replace him in the last year or so.

I'm also keen on squeezing Joe Roff in there. Tune (at his best) was better, but didn't play many games at that level due to injuries.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Red Beard said:
Naming two tighthead props in the lineup doesnt give the selectors much credibility either in my book.

Good call.

Graeme Bachop was terrific and very underrated and deserves the starting spot ahead of Marshall.

Would have thought Tana Umaga would at least get a bench spot.

Mark Andrews' spot is well deserved. I would have him over Eales any day of the week.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Noddy said:

I was never a big fan of Wilson. I have a feeling he was at his peak around 96/97 when I was in the US and didn't see much rugby, but I could never see what the big deal with him was.

Tim Gavin ? Gimme a break. Willie O has to be the most overrated player in history. If it was against the Kiwis, surely you'd nominate Sam Scott-Young ?

Wilson was superb, a flawless winger.

Why no love for Dan Herbert ?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
naza said:
Noddy said:

Tim Gavin ? Gimme a break. Willie O has to be the most overrated player in history. If it was against the Kiwis, surely you'd nominate Sam Scott-Young ?

If you want someone to snort, show the whites of their eyes and blow steam out their ears, maybe. If you want a performer on the park, no way. Willie O was dynamite in the early nineties and not as good when he broke back into rep footy in the late nineties after his knee injury. Dont let that influence your memories.

I'm very surprised they picked Poidevin over G Smith. G Smith has been close to par with McGod for most of their careers and McGod would have walked into that team.

I'm not a huge fan of Toutai, but during that period, I'm not sure we had any better 8s than him although Palu has the potential to be better if he can become more consistent and more technical at the back of the scrum.

There are a couple of Frenchies who were unlucky to miss out.

Status
Not open for further replies.