• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Best Referees In The World

HKTiger

Allen Oxlade (6)
........ The one thing that I wish could happen is that refs have scrum experience, yet most front rowers dont get around the field well enough to go into reffing.

Yeah gotta agree (though I wanted to disagree :) ). Have taken up reffing. My scrums are good. But getting around the park is a challenge. I'm a former tighthead. It's funny you tell them before the game "you've seen and done most of it" and the 2 front rows behave.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
It is my understanding that the IRB will take 10 referees to RWC. Interestingly 10 referees hae been selected for this year's 6 Nations. They are B.Lawrence, Walsh (NZ), Rollaind, Clancy (Ire), Kaplan, Joubert (SA), Barnes, Pearson (Eng), Owens (Wal) & Poite (Fra). Unless there is a stuff-up, there is a big chance that these will be the RWC referees. Missing is Dickinson (Aus), M.Lawrence, Jonker (SA), Berdos (Fra), Lewis (Ire). [Chris White has retired]

A few thoughts on some of these referees:

B.Lawrence - His strength is in man management rather than accuracy. I thought his neutrality was seriously under question in the last 3 rounds of S14 as 3 Kiwi sides beat 3 Aussie sides.
Walsh - As good as anyone on his day but 2 or 3 poor performances this year in S14 including the Holies debacle. Many referees struggle with the battle between confidence and arrogance given how tough you need to be to be an elite referee and this is a big issue for Walsh. Did his year off hurt him?
Rollaind - Not my favourite but has tremendoud composure. He is the best prepared and the most professional and has referee-ed a world cup final. His strengths are his playing experience. He hasn't adjusted well to the new interpretations and referees the attacking team too much.
Clancy - just doesn't look confident for mine.
Kaplan - arguably the best referee over the last decade. His positioning is so unorthodox but he still manages to get it right as much as anyone. Also has tremendous composure. He had a very poor 2010 and needs to bounce back.
Joubert - Great S14 in 2010 and was rewarded with the Final. I thought he had a very poor game in Melbourne in Tri-N with several critical errors where tries should have been disallowed and a complete over-reaction in sending off Mitchell. I think he is the most process orientated of the these referees but can lack some feel for the game at times. Very young given his experience and very fit.
Barnes - has become a great referee. IMO he is the new No 1. His performance in the Tri-N was great.

Dickinson - I believe he is the most capable referee in the world when the going gets tough. Would compete for best referee of the last decade. He is consistently in the top 3 refs for Super rugby. He should be at RWC as there are games that he is perfect for. He is probably the best scrum referee despite POB's 2009 agenda to get rid of him.
Mark Lawrence - can be good but inconsistent.
Jonker - hardly any game knoweldge whatsoever. This issue has caught up with him.
Lewis - not a bad referee in his day but a good 5 years past it.

I wouldn't read too much into SA rankings re Joubert/Lawrence given that there would be no country with more sporting politics than SA.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
This might appear glib and for those younger than 40/50 just wouldn't get it, but Dr. Roger Vanderfield stands head and shoulders above them all. ...none of the modern day refs come close in terms of errors, player management and application of the laws.

If we old bastards are going to revisit the mists of times past I'll nominate Bob Burnett from Brisbane as one of the best refs I've seen. Bob always had a smile on his dial, which somehow convinced those on the paddock this is a game, to be played for fun. Bob missed nothing, always kept up with the play and was rarely involved in a controversial decision. Bob's games always flowed well and were delights to watch.

Vanderfield was good, very good, but a bit too stiff and autocratic for me.

R

Rothschild

If we old bastards are going to revisit the mists of times past I'll nominate Bob Burnett from Brisbane as one of the best refs I've seen. Bob always had a smile on his dial, which somehow convinced those on the paddock this is a game, to be played for fun. Bob missed nothing, always kept up with the play and was rarely involved in a controversial decision. Bob's games always flowed well and were delights to watch.
Vanderfield was good, very good, but a bit too stiff and autocratic for me.

For local suburban games Chegwym was really solid in his rulings, a bit pedantic at times but you always knew if you transgressed he would ping you.

My least favourite, head and shoulders Kevin Crowe.

lets see if tha starts a discussion of its own

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think Walsh is an excellent ref. I like the way he gives the teams a bit of a commentary. I suspect that he needs to give clearer guidelines to captains regarding how they approach him, and when. The Hoiles incident would probably have been better handled by the issuing of a yellow card for the second dissent incident (it may have even helped the Brumbies' cause).

There was an Argentinian referee during the u20 World Cup who I was very impressed with. I'm pretty sure he reffed the SA - England match. His positioning was great, his game management was great, his decisions looked good to me - I seem to recall I had some issue with his use of the video ref...maybe I was pleased that he didn't bother with it unnecessarily, or maybe I was frustrated that he did consult without need...anyway, a good propect I think.

W

wal

Yeah gotta agree (though I wanted to disagree :) ). Have taken up reffing. My scrums are good. But getting around the park is a challenge. I'm a former tighthead. It's funny you tell them before the game "you've seen and done most of it" and the 2 front rows behave.

I am also a former tighthead and and more than happy and able to do junior games, but years worth of injuries mean I dont get around the field as well as i would like. I have done a few senior games, but lower grades where the front rowers tend to be older guys with plently of experience, very few scrums go down. Of course they do everything they can to upset the opposition though!!!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Interesting thread Lee, and well argued opinions on the current whistleblowers.
Any thoughts on how Paddy O'Brien handled the job before taking on the higher role?

Is there a hierarchy of scrum penalties, eg if a prop is boring while flanker is detached, which one should be blown?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
It should probably just be the first offence. If they are at the same time i guess it will be whoever the ref wants to ping, which will probably be who is committing a more blatant or deliberate fowl.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
My least favourite, head and shoulders Kevin Crowe.

lets see if that starts a discussion of its own

Don't go there. Please.

Any thoughts on how Paddy O'Brien handled the job before taking on the higher role?

Is there a hierarchy of scrum penalties, eg if a prop is boring while flanker is detached, which one should be blown?

If it's Mark Lawrence he wouldn't see the unbinding of the flanker so the prop would be penalised. Getting away from the Sydney Bledisloe though, it probably goes down to the referee's guess.

Basically, I don't know.

On POB: he had some shockers including a game in the 1999 RWC France v Fiji when some of his decisions were so odd one thought he had been on the turps. But by and large I liked him as a ref; there was nothing more intimidating for players than Paddy in a bad mood. He wouldn't take any crap from captains either; so it's a wonder that he hasn't issued instructions to counter the naggers.

He didn't care about protocols either. I remember his asking the TMO if the tryscorer in an NPC game had knocked the ball on about 15 metres out.

Not a bad idea - such procedure is authorised in the Top14

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
A good young referee is Angus Gardener. I've seen him ref a few games in the Shute Shield and I think he has the right approach to the job; he ref's as though his job is to monitor the game and make sure it flows within the boundaries of the laws of the game, not like he is supposed to enforce the rules on every single act of the game. He also communicates well with the players, like Wayne Barnes (and Craig Joubert, to a lesser extent though) does: strict but clear. Also, importantly, both he and Barnes communicate directly to the players as well as through the respective Captains. It's so much easier to tell directly 7. Black to roll away than to call over his captain and say "Tell him to roll away!".

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
A good young referee is Angus Gardener. I've seen him ref a few games in the Shute Shield and I think he has the right approach to the job; he ref's as though his job is to monitor the game and make sure it flows within the boundaries of the laws of the game, not like he is supposed to enforce the rules on every single act of the game. He also communicates well with the players, like Wayne Barnes (and Craig Joubert, to a lesser extent though) does: strict but clear. Also, importantly, both he and Barnes communicate directly to the players as well as through the respective Captains. It's so much easier to tell directly 7. Black to roll away than to call over his captain and say "Tell him to roll away!".

Your statement is redundant as, allegedly, neither approach actually works for Sivin Black.:fishing

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
OHMYGOD what did you say about Richie?>!?!?!!!?! He's the best most favourite amazingest most handsome man ever to grace a rugby ball with his carress and you should be thankful he even shows up on your unworthy tv screen. Oh, and he never ever never ever ever ever has even thought about cheating in his 4785 test career for the mighty lords of all that is good in this world, the ALL BLACKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Add a bit of NTA and his Fijian rum and that's close to the best and worst thread of all time.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Annyway... back on topic.

Barnes is the best going decison wise, I reckon. But I hate the way he talks to the players. It's very Walsh like. He's one of those ref's where they need to turn the mic right down because it's good to hear what he says, but for some reason he always comes across loud, brash and is if it's his game. I get all Majorly Raged when referee's refer to the game as theirs, u know "stop slowing down my game", pisses me right off (not say Barnes, Walsh do this - but they come across like this).

I like all the saffers, Dickinson is pretty good, but saying he's the best of the last 10 years is completely laughable. Although my fave of the last 10 years is probably Chris White which I'm sure others find just as laughable. I like the old version of Rolland, the new one is sometimes a bit whistle happy.

Don't like to see Bryce Lawrence reffing, mainly because I know he has such a bad rep, nobody really gives him a fair go anymore, and a slight cultural cringe when I here his voice. Sorry, digressing a bit, but LG started the thread.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'd like the Saffa refs too if I were a Kiwi!

Agree with the rest of what you say though MR. The "my game" bullshit gives the game away