• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Big Bash 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
http://www.bigbash.com.au/

The first Big Bash was interesting and i thought maybe this year i would get a membership for my local team.

5 game GA membership is $70 how good is that.5 games may only work out in Melbourne and Sydney with the cross town derby ticket included.
Anyone else following this??
go the Stars!!

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Had loads of fun last year following the Scorchers, the games were selling out regularly. Will be watching again this year, might even look at a 5 game pass if they are that cheap.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
I was in Perth in early Jan and could not get tickets to the Scorchers game that was on whilst I was there. They were the best team for BBL1.
Scorchers don't seem to have general admission membership option.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was a Sydney Sixers member last year and have renewed again.

It is good fun.

The membership is great value even if you end up missing a game. Last year I went to the three SCG games but missed the Sixers vs Thunder game at ANZ Stadium.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
There was some great cricket in round one. The motorbikes at the Melbourne derby were a pain in the backside. Finch scoring a tonne was awesome to watch, he has been in great form for Vic. maybe a call up for Aus?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is the big bash (or T20 in general) pure gladitorial entertainment or a sport?

Chris Gayle was a SandGroper Last Year IIRC, now playing for Sydney Thunder.

Murili has become a Mexican Renegade.

NZ "Batsman" Clubber McCullum has been a NSW "star" for the last few years.

Great to have the "best of the best" but is it too much of a good thing, and can we keep up the enthusiasm?

I kinda long for the good old days when the Windies were a superstar team to be feared and admired. You only got to see them when they were touring as part of the National Team sent out here to do battle against the best cricketers that Australia could muster to represent us as our National Team. They maintained a mystique and aura that the constant exposure nowdays has reduced to the level of a "brand".

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
I can't see a> Big Bash lasting more than a few years and b> T20 staying as popular as it currently is. I think the fans of cricket are boring of it and the fans of Quicket wont begin to go to the longer forms of the game.

It's all about the money and last night @ Sydney the crowd was only just over 5000 in the 4th over of the first innings. 5000 people paying $20 - $50 a seat would not have even paid Chris Gayle's match payment.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
That can't really be sustainable can it?

Unless ARU's own Tom Waterhouse and his mates are involved. All they need is footage and gullible punters. For them Spectators are Meh.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Big Bash will continue to do well because it rates well on Foxtel and some games are being pushed towards FTA next year I believe. Crowds are definitely down this year though.

T20 is here to stay and it will be at the expense of 50 over cricket which has become a pretty stale format. I thought ODI cricket was more exciting in the 80s and 90s when teams were less good at it and 220-230 was a winning score. Now teams have refined it so much you get the middle 25-30 overs where everyone just taps singles around the place and it is boring and monotonous. As the average team scores have gone up it has become less and less interesting.

Hugh Jarse - in terms of players moving around, Chris Gayle played for WA prior to the city named franchises starting up last year where he became a Sydney Thunder player.

Brendon McCullum played for the Brisbane Heat last year. Nathan McCullum played for the Sydney Sixers last year.

I like that players move around a bit and play for teams they don't ordinarily play for. It has created some good match ups you wouldn't normally get to see.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I loved the Big Bash last year. I think it was th return of some of the Oldies such as Warnie. This year I can't get into it. I find it boring.
I watched the Hobart test today and I found that much more interesting.

jermano

Ted Fahey (11)
Day/Night test matches are the way!! That way after work a gentleman can watch a few hours of a civilized sport over a full strength beer at the venue.

Status
Not open for further replies.