• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 1 - Wallabies vs All Blacks, ANZ Stadium, Sydney, 8:05pm

Who wins?

• Walabies

Votes: 19 38.8%
  • All Blacks

Votes: 29 59.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Matt Todd & Kane Hames added to AB squad as injury cover for Sam Cane (still on concussion watch) & Joe Moody (neck, hasn't played since May):

Forwards: Dane Coles, Nathan Harris, Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Owen Franks, Kane Hames, Joe Moody, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Brodie Retallick, Patrick Tuipulotu, Samuel Whitelock, Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Kieran Read, Ardie Savea, Liam Squire and Matt Todd.

Backs: Tawera Kerr-Barlow, TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Cruden, Lima Sopoaga, Ryan Crotty, Malakai Fekitoa, Anton Lienert-Brown, George Moala, Israel Dagg, Waisake Naholo, Julian Savea and Ben Smith.

Dane Coles still not 100% but they obviously feel there's enough cover already (or that the next cab(s) off the rank aren't quite up to it).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...de-injury-cover-for-all-blacks-trip-to-sydney

@The torpedo I see what you're trying to do there but no way do AB's beat your blokes by 30 in Sydney. Nek week in Auckland, possibly, but not this week. AB's by >12 would be my guess.

EDIT: that should read "Nek week in Wellywood..... AB's by <12..."

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Matt Todd & Kane Hames added to AB squad as injury cover for Sam Cane (still on concussion watch) & Joe Moody (neck, hasn't played since May):

Forwards: Dane Coles, Nathan Harris, Codie Taylor, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina, Owen Franks, Kane Hames, Joe Moody, Ofa Tu'ungafasi, Brodie Retallick, Patrick Tuipulotu, Samuel Whitelock, Sam Cane, Jerome Kaino, Kieran Read, Ardie Savea, Liam Squire and Matt Todd.

Backs: Tawera Kerr-Barlow, TJ Perenara, Aaron Smith, Beauden Barrett, Aaron Cruden, Lima Sopoaga, Ryan Crotty, Malakai Fekitoa, Anton Lienert-Brown, George Moala, Israel Dagg, Waisake Naholo, Julian Savea and Ben Smith.

Dane Coles still not 100% but they obviously feel there's enough cover already (or that the next cab(s) off the rank aren't quite up to it).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...de-injury-cover-for-all-blacks-trip-to-sydney

@The torpedo I see what you're trying to do there but no way do AB's beat your blokes by 30 in Sydney. Nek week in Auckland, possibly, but not this week. AB's by >12 would be my guess.

It is a bit of both TBH (mocker and genuinely think that's the margin)

I would say this side for the ABs:

1. Wyatt Crockett
  2. Dane Coles
  3. Owen Franks
  4. Brodie Retallick
  5. Sam Whitelock
  6. Jerome Kaino
  7. Sam Cane (Ardie Savea if Cane out)
  8. Kieran Read (c)
  9. Aaron Smith
  10. Aaron Cruden
  11. Julian Savea
  12. Rayn Crotty
  13. George Moala
  14. Ben Smith
  15. Israel Dagg
  16. Nathan Harris
  17. Joe Moody (Ofa if unfit)
  18. Charlie Faumuina
  19. Patrick Tuipulotu
  20. Ardie Savea (Matt Todd if Sam Cane unfit)
  21. TJ Perenara
  22. Lima Sopoaga
  23. Beauden Barrett
vs this for the Wallabies:

1. James Slipper
  2. Stephen Moore
  3. Sekope Kepu
  4. Kane Douglas
  5. Rob Simmons
  6. Scott Fardy
  7. Michael Hooper
  8. David Pocock
  9. Will Genia
  10. Bernard Foley
  11. Drew Mitchell
  12. Matt Giteau
  13. Tevita Kuridrani
  14. Two Dads
  15. Israel Folau
  16. Taf
  17. Scott Sio
  18. Tom Robertson
  19. Adam Coleman
  20. Sean McMahon
  21. Nick Phipps
  22. Quade Cooper/Matt To'omua
  23. Dane Haylett-Petty/Rob Horne/Samu Kerevi

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some highlights from Gregor Paul's epic trolling masterpiece...........

Rugby: All Blacks prepare for niggle

It's probably not such a bad thing that World Rugby wasn't interested in delving too deeply into what happened the last time the All Blacks played the Wallabies.

All the governing body cared about was that the two sides had put on an epic World Cup final that brought a superb tournament to an appropriate close. There was no need, reckoned World Rugby, to be asking whether David Pocock had, in fact, stamped on Richie McCaw's head.

They were not interested in reviewing how many times Sekope Kepu had late-tackled All Blacks or how many times Michael Hooper had held back jerseys at rucks.

They had also been braced to be played off the ball by the Wallabies in the final, having endured a fair bit of it in their other two games against Australia last year.

That has extended, though, to what can only be described as developing a culture of niggle as part of the masterplan to intimidate and frustrate teams, particularly the All Blacks.

In the test in Sydney last year - the first the Wallabies had played against their old foe under Cheika - Australia were good value for their victory and upset the All Blacks more than they possibly imagined they could by working them hard off the ball.

They blocked All Blacks runners trying to make their way to the breakdown. They held down players after they had made a tackle and sometimes pulled jerseys as All Blacks were trying to break free to make it to the next phase.

When McCaw suggested midway through the game that either the officials managed the situation or the All Blacks would, the response from Barnes was to say: "Are you threatening me?"

Left with a choice to make, the All Blacks decided not to take matters into their own hands, concluding that was precisely what the Wallabies were hoping would happen.

The Wallabies played their underhand card throughout the June series against England - the worst aspect being Hooper trying to throw sand from the churned Melbourne field into English players' eyes.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?

G

galumay

Thats par for the course for the NZ Herald, a rubbish paper the equal of our rubbish rags. Ownership is a common theme!

I reckon the AB's by 8 at least, like WoB says, they will probably save the flogging for Wellington!

Looking at the likely squad for the Wobblies, I do wonder if it were not time to bite the bullet and instead of dragging back all those players from Europe, just blood whatever limited talent we have and see if they can be developed at test level.

I guess there are pressures in terms of sponsors, administrators, media, the public and others that make it difficult for the coaching and selection staff to go too 'left field'. In the age of instant gratification, long term planning and development is made nigh on impossible - there would be baying for Cheika's head long before a long term strategy to develop Australian Rugby bore fruit. (probably will be by the couch coaches after this game!)

If the AB's bring Savea into 7 then they will be even more dominant than at the RWC I reckon.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
^^^^^ I agree with most of this Galumy, but I wouldn't personally be after Cheika's head if the side went down while blooding some younger players with potential. On the other hand, I'll be at the head of the queue if he goes with the Europe-based players and still cops a beating (as is most likely against the ABs).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I am dissappointed with all this stuff so negative about European players - you need a mix of experience with the new blood coming through

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
These would be the best uses of the NZ Herald:

burning-newspaper.png

5-speech_detail2.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Some highlights from Gregor Paul's epic trolling masterpiece.....

He probably thinks it's payback for the "Richie McGrub" thing last year.........

I've been thinking about the Wobblies talking about kicking more & wondering do they plan on (A) kicking long & for touch to pressure our lineout (bad move IMO as your lineout's now as pants as your scrum ever was); (B) long & not out to rush our back three (likely to be Dagg, Smith & Savea or Naholo so good luck with that); or (C) short & in behind whichever of Savea or Naholo starts? Option (C) at least has a chance of working, they both turn like an oil tanker, but what if we counter by having Dagg drift to that wing & take the ball going forward? Could all be a Jaws-size red herring, IMO. Can't wait to find out, tho!

tragic

John Solomon (38)
He probably thinks it's payback for the "Richie McGrub" thing last year...

I've been thinking about the Wobblies talking about kicking more & wondering do they plan on (A) kicking long & for touch to pressure our lineout (bad move IMO as your lineout's now as pants as your scrum ever was); (B) long & not out to rush our back three (likely to be Dagg, Smith & Savea or Naholo so good luck with that); or (C) short & in behind whichever of Savea or Naholo starts? Option (C) at least has a chance of working, they both turn like an oil tanker, but what if we counter by having Dagg drift to that wing & take the ball going forward? Could all be a Jaws-size red herring, IMO. Can't wait to find out, tho!

I would say a little bit of (C) with a lot more of (A).
Our lineouts actually pretty good with Simmons/Douglas/Fardy.
I presume you're confusing losing a lock early in the game (without a backup on the bench) with a weakness.
The problem was injury plus selection tactics (or lack of them)
Our lineout will be fine if Cheiks learnt from his mistakes.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
It's been fine when skeletons not on the field and we have 3 jumpers. Especially when Simmons has been on the field.
It's been pants when we've had Skelton at lock and relied on 2 jumpers.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Obviously it's been weaker when Skelton has been on the field, but it's also been fairly pants when we're fielding our top side................

The only game against a top tier team recently where we displayed some lineout dominance was actually when Simmons was out injured dropped.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would say a little bit of (C) with a lot more of (A).
Our lineouts actually pretty good with Simmons/Douglas/Fardy.
I presume you're confusing losing a lock early in the game (without a backup on the bench) with a weakness.
The problem was injury plus selection tactics (or lack of them)
Our lineout will be fine if Cheiks learnt from his mistakes.

Sorry, three years of reading posts on here riffing on variations of "our lineout is shit", "why is our lineout shit?" & "why our lineout is shit" lead me to think that maybe 'twas a bit of a problem area for you. My bad :)

Obviously it's been weaker when Skelton has been on the field, but it's also been fairly pants when we're fielding our top side......

The only game against a top tier team recently where we displayed some lineout dominance was actually when Simmons was out injured.

Injured or dropped?

Anyhoo, now we've got some hookers who can actually throw the damn thing straight we win 90%+ of our own ball & recently we've been stealing a reasonable amount of opposition ball, mostly through Read & Kaino who just happen to be the blokes who'll be marking your poorer lineout options. Just sayin.

tragic

John Solomon (38)

I'm much more worried about our ability to execute our kicks than I am about our set piece (unless Cheika goes with the Skelton fail again)
My suspicion is we'll try for (A) and end up with (B) which will be an epic fail as you point out

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
HaHa. Did anyone see Matt Bourkes 15 in the SMH.
4-8: Douglas, Skelton, McMahon (6),Pocock (8),Hooper (7).
What an awesome lineout that would be.
The blokes a genius.

This was his full side (for anyone wondering):

1. Sio
  2. Moore
  3. Kepu
  4. Skelton
  5. Douglas
  6. McMahon
  7. Hooper
  8. Pocock
  9. Genia
  10. Giteau
  11. Mitchell
  12. Kerevi
  13. Folau
  14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
  15. DHP
That is 4 Tahs, 3 Brumbies, 2 Reds, 1 Rebel, 1 Force & 4 Foreign (1 ex-red, 1-ex brumby & force, 1 ex-red, force & tah & 1 ex-brumby & tah)

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
This was his full side (for anyone wondering):

1. Sio
  2. Moore
  3. Kepu
  4. Skelton
  5. Douglas
  6. McMahon
  7. Hooper
  8. Pocock
  9. Genia
  10. Giteau
  11. Mitchell
  12. Kerevi
  13. Folau
  14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
  15. DHP
That is 4 Tahs, 3 Brumbies, 2 Reds, 1 Rebel, 1 Force & 4 Foreign (1 ex-red, 1-ex brumby & force, 1 ex-red, force & tah & 1 ex-brumby & tah)
I'm actually flabbergasted! We are obviously not worried about the lineout at all.
The backline is interesting. Is Giteau better at ten than when he left Australia?

Status
Not open for further replies.