• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bledisloe 2 2023 @ Dunedin 12:35PM Sat 5 Aug

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
Except none of the ones ahead of him are noted scummager's either. AAA got injured by being monstered at scrum time
Who's to say Alan only got monstered as he sustained the injury before the scrum went pow?

In any event, I thought Zane who's a 22 year old who just finished his first season as a starter held up on. The face we have a 22 year old being forced to play speaks volumes about our lack of depth.

Perhaps Hoskins will be on call during the RWC?

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Who's to say Alan only got monstered as he sustained the injury before the scrum went pow?

In any event, I thought Zane who's a 22 year old who just finished his first season as a starter held up on. The face we have a 22 year old being forced to play speaks volumes about our lack of depth.

Perhaps Hoskins will be on call during the RWC?
He wasn't exactly going forward before the injury

Don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at Zane, he did his best. It's more a problem with lack of coaching for young tight heads. You cant blame them if they are never taught right from the start

AAA only converted to tight head in the first place due to the lack of options there. It's not a new problem

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought our scrum held up until Angus Bell left the field and then was a bit of a disaster.

To me he's shown to be close to our most valuable player after only two games back. One game where he was pretty clearly our MOTM and the second where he was rated by most as being among our best three players after a long injury layoff.

Scrummaging used to be the only question mark over him and now it looks like he's very solid there and exceptional around the park.

The ascendancy we had on the loose head side looked to be protecting our weaker tight head side significantly.

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
One thing that really shits me is how pre-meditated all the substitutions are and all coaches do it. I feel like we could be in world cup final up by 3 points with 20 to go with Tait and Gordon playing outstanding and he would still sub them out because that is what they planned before the game. Same as McReight on the weekend, if it is working and he is still performing leave him on.

Angus Bell also strikes me as a guy who could play 80 mins which is unusual for a prop. If he is still carrying hard and scrummaging well then I would rather he stayed on than bring on an inferior player. Not saying now as he is coming back from injury but if it was a crunch world cup game. I get the concept of "finishers" but they need to actually perform better than the player they are replacing

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
Missed the game but just watched 12 min highlights. the AB's in 2nd half seemed to be getting amazingly quick bd ball. Was this true for most of the 2nd half or just bits? Looked to me that we won the bd battle in the first half and lost it in the 2nd. Did the rot start when McRight left?

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Missed the game but just watched 12 min highlights. the AB's in 2nd half seemed to be getting amazingly quick bd ball. Was this true for most of the 2nd half or just bits? Looked to me that we won the bd battle in the first half and lost it in the 2nd. Did the rot start when McRight left?
I said during the game that taking McReight off was a mistake. The breakdown went to shit, the front row subs (both theirs and ours) meant the scrum also went to shit. Those factors and the ball Quade dropped (which was as much Whites shit pass) cost us the game. I’m sure Eddie would have noticed all this.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
One thing that really shits me is how pre-meditated all the substitutions are and all coaches do it. I feel like we could be in world cup final up by 3 points with 20 to go with Tait and Gordon playing outstanding and he would still sub them out because that is what they planned before the game. Same as McReight on the weekend, if it is working and he is still performing leave him on.

Angus Bell also strikes me as a guy who could play 80 mins which is unusual for a prop. If he is still carrying hard and scrummaging well then I would rather he stayed on than bring on an inferior player. Not saying now as he is coming back from injury but if it was a crunch world cup game. I get the concept of "finishers" but they need to actually perform better than the player they are replacing

It comes down to longer term injury management. In certain circumstances you're going to leave them on, but mostly you're going to give them enough minutes without introducing fatigue that can be detrimental.

dillyboy

Nev Cottrell (35)
It comes down to longer term injury management. In certain circumstances you're going to leave them on, but mostly you're going to give them enough minutes without introducing fatigue that can be detrimental.
Yep,

Whilst they were subbed this game as long term player management I don't see them getting subbed if it's close and we're in the WC final .....

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member

The rot started after half time, when it feels like the ABs refocussed and got on top physically.

And we lost our way a bit with ball in hand - a few ill-advised one-out runs which left us isolated, a couple of missed cleanouts. This was a collective failure, not down to one player particularly.

I don't think taking McReight off really had much to do with it. His presence wouldn't have prevented the turnovers. Blaming the subs in general is too simplistic.

stillmissit

Chilla Wilson (44)
The rot started after half time, when it feels like the ABs refocussed and got on top physically.

And we lost our way a bit with ball in hand - a few ill-advised one-out runs which left us isolated, a couple of missed cleanouts. This was a collective failure, not down to one player particularly.

I don't think taking McReight off really had much to do with it. His presence wouldn't have prevented the turnovers. Blaming the subs in general is too simplistic.
It looked to me like the AB's noticed we were flagging and upped the speed as they knew we couldn't stay with them. Their breakdown was barely contested and they got that 'lightning' fast ball that is talked about these days.
McRight might have helped but he couldn't stop it on his own.