• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

BLK Goooone

Status
Not open for further replies.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
BLK have found themselves in this position due to the Fiji cyclone, their manufacturing plant was significantly damaged, stock destroyed etc. The company were then faced with significant delays and ultimately the killer blow of repaying deposits when they were unable to deliver, forcing customers to head to other suppliers.

Added to the fact that they whist behind in production (May) they continued to increase orders, sign up more customers, commit to supplying more product even thought they were way behind even with the factory operating 24/7....

Another clue that things went going well: Q&A from the warehouse clearance event in June after it was postponed for a week - (note the [increased] stock value!) - there will be more stock on hand since we have further deliveries scheduled to come in this week, increasing our holdings to approximately $10 million (AUD).

Prices for the warehouse sale will start at 60% off, with discontinued ranges up to 70% off.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
BLK have found themselves in this position due to the Fiji cyclone, their manufacturing plant was significantly damaged, stock destroyed etc. The company were then faced with significant delays and ultimately the killer blow of repaying deposits when they were unable to deliver, forcing customers to head to other suppliers.

Interesting to compare the BLK scenario with Swickers Kingaroy Bacon factory in Queensland, destroyed by fire recently, and back operating in a processing facility in Ipswich eight days later, without any of the 120 jobs lost!
That's the risk you take when you move your manufacturing facility to a poor, cyclone-prone country, with limited infrastructure.
I assume the BLK headquarters is still located here, on the Gold Coast?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
I just read that BLK has manufacturing facilities in China. Surely it wouldn't be too hard to increase output by introducing 3 x 8-hour shifts, (or more likely 2 x 12-hour shifts), to make up for Fiji being off-line.
As others have suggested here, I think it's more than just the Fiji cyclone that's troubling BLK.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As others have suggested here, I think it's more than just the Fiji cyclone that's troubling BLK.

That Courier Mail article I linked above goes into a bit of detail about the problems that existed prior to the cyclone.

Seems like the business was in trouble and the cyclone was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Interesting to compare the BLK scenario with Swickers Kingaroy Bacon factory in Queensland, destroyed by fire recently, and back operating in a processing facility in Ipswich eight days later, without any of the 120 jobs lost!
That's the risk you take when you move your manufacturing facility to a poor, cyclone-prone country, with limited infrastructure.
I assume the BLK headquarters is still located here, on the Gold Coast?

Didn't realise that Kingaroy was cyclone-prone. Wise idea to move their premises to a less cyclone-prone area in Ipswich.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Didn't realise that Kingaroy was cyclone-prone. Wise idea to move their premises to a less cyclone-prone area in Ipswich.

Ah, Mr Jarse, you never fail to deliver!!

BTW, there's nothing poor about Kingaroy (and I still have a tea-towel signed by Sir Joh), and Ipswich, and last time I rotated my globe, neither appeared as a country!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
That Courier Mail article I linked above goes into a bit of detail about the problems that existed prior to the cyclone.

Seems like the business was in trouble and the cyclone was the straw that broke the camel's back.

BH81, that Courier Mail link, (like so many others on GAGR), only gives me headlines and ads, plus the offer to subscribe to get more details!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH81, that Courier Mail link, (like so many others on GAGR), only gives me headlines and ads, plus the offer to subscribe to get more details!!

If you google "courier mail blk collapse elite clubs optimistic" it should be the first result and let you read the article in full when you click on it.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
If you google "courier mail blk collapse elite clubs optimistic" it should be the first result and let you read the article in full when you click on it.

Thank you kind sir! BTW, no one replied to my question re our French-test team announcement timing. What's the word down your way?

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
I believe a huge part of the problem was working in a global economy, but not understanding the economy.
Growth, Contracts, Cycles, Expectations and pricing.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
From what I hear the receivers are looking to sell the BLK brand as it is the best asset of the company. Apparently quite a few interested parties so a good chance BLK will be around. Don't think they'll be signing with any more pro teams though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
631022f0afbef8566afde8c924eb7f0f.jpg

Looks like Reds have been scrambling to get some gear into the shops and there's a few lines of this "AshTabula" stuff in Amart now but it doesnt look as high quality as the BLK gear.

I wonder how theyre going with actaully getting the 2017 jerseys etc.

T

TOCC

Problem is that BLK didn't produce all the clothing themselves, they obviously did the jerseys but they contracted out for some of the other items like bags, hats, etc..

These firms that they contracted out to are some of the ones they owe a significant amount of cash too, so won't be releasing or producing new stock for BLK.

I'd imagine if the Reds had another merchandiser willing to come to the party then they would probably have already dumped BLK, but this close to the beginning of the season leaves the QRU and other Australian Siper Rugby teams with little bargaining power.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

The Reds marketing team strike again! Every year they come up with some marketing gold. Last year it was all about Goro.

Now this is master stroke!

CUTE CUTE CUTE! Talk about appealing to other demographics!

I will be interesting to see the Reds 2017 take the field in their onesies!

I think the summer PJ's might be the go for the Brissy 10's due to the heat.

Capture.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.