• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Boer battles !

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Round 1 we have our usual brutal derbys and only one Aus opponent. This local derbies sort of make or break some of our teams and the top of S14 one sure on my homeground of Newlands, the coastal clash between the Stormers & Sharks, Coke Park a cat fight between the Lions & Xheetahs and the Bull Ring we have the Brutes vs Reds.

Just a reminder that we have the Lions so the derbies will be like trial matches and sure will end up in bloddy battles and some players will get injured.

Stormers vs Sharks.
Newlands already nearly sold out for this one and 40,000 plus will pack the stadium. We have hot weather just now and sure you can expect a hot match between these two. Our Stormers faithfull havent forget a year ago when we had the Guppies on their knees and Willie Doos send off Schalkie with a yellow when he try to stop Muller hitting Mujatsi in the mouth. We owe them one and the Stormers have pick the best team for this one in my books. The Sharks will be the favourates as CC champs but at the end of the day papernames will count for nothing when they run on the field. Think we will take them on their strong point, which is the scrums and is sure the Atormers players are just as gatvol as the supporters to hear this Light 5 shite. The same T5 had been great in 2008 and we do have the Bok forward coach plus Rassie the get them in peak condition. The lineouts we will have the upperhand with Bekker and in the loosie department its very close but with Schalk in your team , tht just may help us. Watch out for the exciting Duanne Vermeulen on debut. Backline its very close but with the inner lot like Januarie, Grant & Jean vs Kockette, Pienaar & Steyn a royal battle. Steyn wont pass and Jean will be our keyplayer. The outside backs the Tjarks maybe on paper but the Stormers sure will try and play it quick and wide. I am going with my heart here and think the Stormers will roll them over.

Catfight:
Both teams look ready but the Lions have a good look this year. With experiense players like Willemse, Mentz, Mossie, Petoors back they sure will be the surprise packet in S14 for 2009. The Cheetahs strongpoint is that loosies but with Baywatch with the Lions that may even out. Lions will take this one at home.

Brutes vs Reds:
Dont know much about the Reds but do know the Brutes will be a huge game in the Ring. They were so silent in the warm ups and trust me that make them very difficult opponents. With Matfield back and that talented youngsters loosies and a new face in the backline. No easy game, trust me. If the Reds win this one I'd be surprise and will give them all my respect.

Hope we see some pack stadiums for round 1 !

Sterkte en mag die beste en regte spanne wen.

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
I too am picking the stormers in a slight upset. Home crowd should be a big bonus and there is something about the Stormers backs that I really like. I think Grant is a very capable S14 player and am not sure Pienaar Steyn is a great combo for a tough local derby match.

Our Stormers faithfull havent forget a year ago when we had the Guppies on their knees and Willie Doos send off Schalkie with a yellow when he try to stop Muller hitting Mujatsi in the mouth.

The rest of the rugby world hasnt forgotten Shalkies reaction to this decision. Whether it was the right decision or not his reaction was poor. :fishing

What can we expect from Vermeulen? Is he a player worth picking in fantasy sides?

PB - what can you tell us about some of the lesser known Saffer locks. I have always picked players like the Anton Van Zyl in my side because they are cheap but actually know very little about them.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Along with the Chiefs v Crusaders I think this will be one of the best games of the round.

I'm going with the homeground advantage & will tip the Stormers by 7 or less.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
the gambler said:
What can we expect from Vermeulen? Is he a player worth picking in fantasy sides?

PB - what can you tell us about some of the lesser known Saffer locks. I have always picked players like the Anton Van Zyl in my side because they are cheap but actually know very little about them.
Vermeulen - I wont be surprise to see him in Bok colours in the near future. Playing with Schalk will sure help him a lot getting there. A good pick for your fantasy league.

Young locks: Gerhard Mostert and Anton van Zyl is good picks as locks, also the two Cheetah locks. Other SA Youngsters that maybe good value are Gert Mullet, Lions Fatty, Stegman/potgieter, Brute loosies, Andries Fourie Stormers hooker. Fourie is a excellent ball carrier and just may earn you a lot of points.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I've gone the Stormers on Superbru - I note I'm the only one in the TYS pool so far that is!!!
They better not disappoint, PB!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
disco said:
Along with the Chiefs v Crusaders I think this will be one of the best games of the round.

I'm going with the homeground advantage & will tip the Stormers by 7 or less.
Myself think the Canes vs Tahs clash will also be a top one.

Usually are lot is slow out of the blocks. Myself think it all had to do with the warm up matches. We tend to use that to try the borderline squad players and see the way they go with combinations while the Kiwis and Aus pick their strongest players for this matches.

This year it may differ because we have this Lion tour coming up and our top players had a slow start to 2008 after winning the WC in 2007.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
cyclopath said:
I've gone the Stormers on Superbru - I note I'm the only one in the TYS pool so far that is!!!
They better not disappoint, PB!
Cyc hope they wont. Will be tough but I'll put my faith in Rassie's hands. Think he know what he want to do. Just hoping the passes will stick. They even cut Schalkies hair to get him ready for the Haai fight. 8)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Noddy said:
Any sign of the Sharks team as yet?
Not yet but promise I'll put it up as quick as possible. The reason I think is they have a few injuries and is waiting to see the way they go.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
the gambler said:
The rest of the rugby world hasnt forgotten Shalkies reaction to this decision. Whether it was the right decision or not his reaction was poor. :fishing
Sure you lot wont but Doos wont set foot on Newlands. Saw he is the falgman in the Ring and hope you aint a Reds supporter. :lmao:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sharks 22:
15. Stefan Terblanche, 14. Odwa Ndungane, 13. Adrian Jacobs, 12. Francois Steyn, 11. JP Pietersen, 10. Ruan Pienaar, 9. Rory Kockott, 8. Ryan Kankowski, 7. Jean Deysel, 6. Keegan Daniel, 5. Johann Muller (Captain), 4. Steven Sykes, 3. Jannie du Plessis, 2. John Smit, 1. Deon Carstens

Replacements:
16. Bismarck du Plessis, 17. Melusi Mthethwa, 18. Alistair Hargreaves, 19. Jacques Botes, 20. Ross Cronje, 21. Riaan Swanepoel, 22. Luzuko Vulindlu

Look like they do have a bit of injuries. Beast out and they have to get a debutant Luzuko fatty as backup. Ross Cronje& Hargreave also wet between the ears.

Think the extra two weeks Rassie had with his players for conditioning will help him big time in this one.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Noddy said:
Shall be interesting if we see any Andrew Johns influence.

How will you tell? Just curious.

His involvement will be very helpful and I understand he'll hook up with them when they travel down here.

Anyhow I tip the Sharks by 7. Sorry Paarl.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Sorry for giving you the tip to go for the Stormers but on yesterday evidense not many would have beat them on Newlands. Jeans injury cost us this one and they took about 30 minutes to recharge after he went off.

Myself pretty please from what I saw from all our teams and hope they can keep it up. Much ledd kicking, some good backline movements and BIG on defense.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
PaarlBok said:
the gambler said:
Sure you lot wont but Doos wont set foot on Newlands. Saw he is the falgman in the Ring and hope you aint a Reds supporter. :lmao:
This morning some of the Reds supporters may agree with me. That yellow from Doos from the sideline a joke. Cant accuse me for not warning you lot. :lmao:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Round 2 next and a lot of friday matches. We have one local derby and one Kiwi, Blues and one Aus, Reds opponent. Think round 2 will give a better indication where our teams are at the moment.
Stormers vs Reds. The Reds surprise me lin round 1 and will be better in round 2. The problem they will have to deal against the Stormers is that they will face the opposite of round 1 , Bulls. Think the Stormers will tighten their play up for this one and will try and cut lose when the oppertunity is right.Myself thought they palyed themself to a standstill in the first half against the Sharks and should paste their play this time. Jean look a cetrain for this match and Sereli still maybe out and it look like Watson will start this time. Make sense not to start him against SA oppo with all the politics.
Bulls vs Blues With Matfield out and the Bulls threathen with the Reds backline they sure will have to get their defense in tact for this one. Dont know if the Blues coaching staff have it right but against the Brutes only one way to play. The have the personel to put one over the Brutes with a running style. I'd say the Blues are the favourates here.
Sharks vs Lions On paper the Lions have no change against the Sharks. But know our local teams so well , for some reason the Guppies always struggle against the Lions. This time wont differ and myseld rate the Lions scrum as the best in SA. That should be their platform to launch a Shark attack. Lineouts, backs, everything, even the homeground favours the Tjarks.

Status
Not open for further replies.