• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Boks named for Lions First Test - Brussow starts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Springboks - 15 Frans Steyn, 14 JP Pietersen, 13 Adi Jacobs, 12 Jean de Villiers, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Ruan Pienaar, 9 Fourie du Preez, 8 Pierre Spies, 7 Juan Smith, 6 Heinrich Brussow, 5 Victor Matfield, 4 Bakkies Botha, 3 John Smit (c), 2 Bismarck du Plessis, 1 Beast Mtawarira.
Subs: 16 Deon Carstens, 17 Gurthro Steenkamp, 18 Andries Bekker, 19 Danie Rossouw, 20 Ricky Januarie, 21 Morne Steyn, 22 Jaque Fourie.

Apologies for duplicating - we have a lions thread.

Just thought I'd point out that after all the hoohah over Burger, Brussow starts. Yeaaaahhhhhh!!

Morney Steyn on the bench. Frans Steyn at 15. Only thing I'm not all that happy about is that Adi starts ahead of Fourie at 13 but I'll take it.

Paarl can you confirm this - it's on keo.co.za but I don't see it anywhere else yet?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Grandmaster Flash said:
Hey Blue how do you think Spies is going to go against the Lions pack? Haven't seen him much against non-SH teams.

It's going to be interesting. Spies has somewhat disappeared in the heavy traffic in the past and in fact that was his big problem two to three years ago (remember he is a rebooted winger). I was one who thought the illness that kept him out of the RWC was a blessing in disguise becuase he was too loose and didn't put his body on the line enough.

His skills at ruck time are improving (it's something I have kept a very close eye on in the Super 14). In the past he was never seen at the ruck but he is starting to look for work and has built incredible upper body strength.

He won't go running through them at will but I'd back him to make some inroads.

Having said all that his biggest area of improvement has been his cover tackling which was sensational late in the S14.

The Red bastards will hit him hard early on so we'll see how he responds.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Jeez thats a strong forward pack. The backrow makeup is a perfect mix of hardworkers and ballrunners, and the second row is all class.

Interesting Schalk didn't even make the bench- he would be one hell of an impact player on his day.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
barbarian said:
Jeez thats a strong forward pack. The backrow makeup is a perfect mix of hardworkers and ballrunners, and the second row is all class.

Interesting Schalk didn't even make the bench- he would be one hell of an impact player on his day.

Injured Barbarian. Same injury that he picked up in S14. At least that's the news right now.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Yeah - Brussow in for Burger.

The Boks haven't had a regular fetcher since Krige; so let's see how he goes. I thought he was the best fetcher in the S14, but for giving up excessive penalties.

I thought Jacque Fourie played better in the S14 than Jacobs but Jacobs has done a good job for PdV in test matches; so fair enough.

Will be interesting to see how John Smit does at THP. Watch this space.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Great team and surprosed he pick Brussouw. No to worried about AD but would also perferred Mossie. Anyway my boggest worry is match sharpness but I am sure they will take care with practises with the Emergency Bokke. Anyway it will be high voltage full blow out stuff from the Bokke.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Maybe Smit but not Steyn. He is going to be great, you Aussies should know what he can do with droppies from the back. 15 should fit him like a glove and if Jones are playing 10 it will be a losing battle for the Lions if they go in a kickaton. Jones lose the battle by a mile against de Waal.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Paarl - its all well and good to knock over the odd droppy, but he lacks consistency and commitment. He spends too much time strutting around thinking he's the man instead of proving it.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
He usually have those problem when in the Shark jersey but seems to be the opposite in green & gold. Lets hope it stay that way.

B

Bluebull2007

What a great place to put my 1st post here! Go BROSSOUW!

I have to agree with NTA, I think Morne Steyn is better than Frans atm. I dont want to see Frans attempting 50m droppies, because he misses most of them!

Generally this is what I think of the selection as far as what will be happening to the lions:

Attachments

• post-65-1178829852.jpg
    post-65-1178829852.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 135

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
BB where did you get that photo of Oom Paul Kruger coloured in blue and horns. Sure have to be "Kerk Plein" in Pretoria, bliksem that place sure bring back sweet memories of army days.

Think Brussouw will be a big trump card in the test.

Regarding Morne, think its a big ask to start your debut these days in 10. Look what happen to Gaffie & Houghart. Let him play from the bench and ease him init. Ruaan have a few tests behind him.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Sounds like a cracker of a game, must acquire immediately.

Match reports in this thread please.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/...st-lions/2009/06/21/1244918245197.html?page=2

Springboks hold on against Lions

Pienaar added his second penalty after a Steyn miss, again after Vickery was flagged for collapsing a scrum in front of the posts under pressure from Mtawarira.

When Tommy Bowe was caught in possession a minute later, Pienaar was again unerring with his boot from close to touch, but then failed to capitalise on another Vickery penalty, to make the half-time score 19-7.

A 30-metre rolling Bok maul seemed likely to set the scene for the second period, with Vickery replaced by Adam Jones after five minutes.

Pienaar shunned a kick at goal for the corner, setting up a catch-and-drive from the line-out, Brussow crossing under a mass of bodies for a try Pienaar converted.

With two more Tests to come at altitude in Pretoria and Johannesburg, this game in the Indian Ocean seaport city was seen as perhaps the Lions' best chance at an early scalp.

And the Lions, with Roberts increasingly to the fore, made sure of a thrilling climax with two late converted tries.

With 12 minutes remaining, Croft crossed for his second, again after an O'Driscoll pass played him into space close to the line.

Replacement Morne Steyn then produced a try-saving tackle on Monye, dislodging the ball as the winger was about to dot down.

But the pressure paid off for the Lions with Phillips crossing for a third try converted by Jones.

When Jones kicked to the corner with two minutes to play, the Boks pinched the line-out and cleared their lines for a vital win.

SOUTH AFRICA 26 (John Smit, Heinrich Brussow tires; Ruan Pienaar 2 cons 3 pens, Francois Steyn pen) bt BRITISH LIONS 21 (Tom Croft 2, Mike Phillips tries; Stephen Jones 3 cons)

Referee: Bryce Lawrence (RSA)
Attendance: 48,718

Status
Not open for further replies.