• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Boys heading o/seas to play

Status
Not open for further replies.

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
What's the deal with the ARU allowing so many boys to head off to play and study elsewhere because all they want to look at is the "elite" boys who have been on their radar since the age of 12. Wake up Australia, we are going to lose some great boys to the likes of the USA, Japan and France because these countries are willing to foster the talent that these boys have and the skills that they've developed themselves all because the ARU threw them on to the rubbish heap and chose not to look at them after a certain age. These countries will also offer a first class education to them, most of them on massive scholarships. Why do we have Scouts physically recruiting our boys from the GPS comp and through the QRU? (Qld person here). What is going on Australia???

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I think he is referencing a letter I assume a whole bunch of Jnr rugby players in Qld received.

It must have gone to any kid who played Jnr rep rugby last year. From the QRU on behalf of some mob called NSR who facilitate scholarship opportunities in the USA.

QRU are hosting a "invite only" skills analysis session to ascertain ability etc.

NSR obviously get some sort of finders fee. Assume the QRU get a commission as well?

We'll go through the motions with our son (only 14) because a scholarship to a Uni in the us has some interest. But we don't expect much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CatchnPass

Vay Wilson (31)
Having had a quick look into this previously, US college rugby scholarships rarely offer more than a token contribution to tuition fees, esp at the more prestigious/ better known ones. Rugby is essentially a club sport played by the UNIs. You are right not to expect too much and beware up front fees or success fees that are not very clearly dependent on the facilitator landing a scholarship of at least $X at a decent college. Best of luck to your boy.

rugbysthewinner

Peter Burge (5)
Exactly what I was referring to. The QRU seem to be using this NSR assessment day to sniff out anyone they might have missed to join their "elite" pathway.

I believe ALL boys from 15's to Colts have been invited to attend the assessment. We also will be attending for our son, to gauge the opportunities that may be out there. I have heard of similar scouts from Japan as well.

DaSchmooze

Syd Malcolm (24)
Exactly what I was referring to. The QRU seem to be using this NSR assessment day to sniff out anyone they might have missed to join their "elite" pathway.

I believe ALL boys from 15's to Colts have been invited to attend the assessment. We also will be attending for our son, to gauge the opportunities that may be out there. I have heard of similar scouts from Japan as well.

If NSR is running it, then it won't be worth attending. The College's they typically work with fall into two categories - NAIA or NJCAA. The only scholarships remotely worth looking into are from NCAA Div 1 or Div 2 schools. The Colleges NSR work with are poorly rated both educationally and with their sporting credentials. Not only that, NSR will charge you a significant sum of money to complete a task that you would quite easily be able to do yourself.

Your sons would receive a significantly better education staying at home attending Australian Universities with much better rugby programs.

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
For those interested in pursuing Rugby opportunities in the USA, here is a link to all Colleges that offer scholarships to International students that are linked to USA Rugby.

https://www.usarugby.org/scholarships/

CnP is on the mark re financial support. Rugby in the USA is very different to Basketball, Rowing and Swimming which are often seen as pathways for Australian students to enter the US college system.

If you are seriously interested, your child will still need to sit SAT exams etc so there is a fair bit of forward planning involved.

I cant comment on feedback provided on NSR but my observations are that whenever kid, scholarships and talent identification are mentioned, someone is making $$$$s and usually at the expense of parents....

Troy Dickson

Herbert Moran (7)
NSW Waratahs 7s - Boys - White (No2) Team

Ben DUCKWORTH - Kings
Jack WALSH - St Augustine College
Jonny MITSIAS - Marcellin College
Matt DUTAILLIS - Riverview
Max SWANENBERG - St Josephs College, Hunters Hill
Mike PAVLAKIS - Knox
Nick DOLLY - Marian Catholic College
Percy DUNCAN - Narrabri High School
Ryley ANGLES-CORK - St Josephs College, Hunter Hill
Said HALBOUNI - Endeavour Sports High School
Tom GLASCOTT - Riverview
Will MORLEY - Narrabri High School

Is this the same Nick DOLLY that has been selected for England u18's?

Academy Hooker Nic Dolly Talks About Week Training With First Team

http://www.salesharks.com/news/4894.php#.WOylGKIlGUk

England U18 squad to face Wales U18:
15. Ben Loader (London Irish - Wellington College), 14. Elliott Obatoyinbo (Saracens - Harrow School), 13. Tom Seabrook (Gloucester Rugby - Dean Close), 12. Fraser Strachan (Northampton Saints - Bedford School), 11. Max Coyle (Harlequins -Reigate Grammar School), 10. Kieran Wilkinson (Sale Sharks - Kirkham Grammar School) , 9. Will Porter (Wasps - Merchant Taylors School), 1. Nick Rigby (Worcester Warriors - Malvern College), 2. Will Capon (Bristol Rugby - Bristol Grammar School), 3. Kieran Verden (Bath Rugby - Beechen Cliff School), 4. Ted Hill (Worcester Warriors - Worcester College), 5. James Scott (Worcester Warriors - Malvern College), 6. Josh Basham (London Irish - Wellington College), 7. Charlie Wright (Exeter Chiefs - Exeter College), 8. Sam Moore (Sale Sharks - Sedbergh School).

Replacements:
16. Nic Dolly (Sale Sharks), 17. Tom Rowland (Bristol Rugby - Bristol Grammar School), 18. Joe Heyes (Leicester Tigers - Wyggeston & QEI College), 19. Joe Tunney (Wasps - Dr Challoners Grammar School), 20. Sean Reffell (Saracens - Harrow School), 21. Ollie Fox (Yorkshire Carnegie - New College Pontefract) , 22. Cameron Redpath (Sale Sharks - Sedbergh School), 23. Nick David (Worcester Warriors - Warwick School).

Armchair Selector

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Wow what a great opportunity for the young man. I am sure he would have been a big prospect for Eastwood in the years ahead.

Given the resourcing and development in a cashed up and functional UK development system this is a fantastic result for Nick and yet again a sad indictment on the Australian state of play.

If the ARU was a Public Company, the CEO would have been sacked and the Board replaced by now. How much worse does it have to get before something changes?

How pissed off would you be as a Force or Rebels supporter right now let alone a Sponsor? (Rant over)

BAR

Chris McKivat (8)
For those interested in pursuing Rugby opportunities in the USA, here is a link to all Colleges that offer scholarships to International students that are linked to USA Rugby...

Sports scholarships to USA colleges are a significant opportunity for Australian athletes and I amazed at the number of Australian athletes that I have personal knowledge of taking up the opportunity. However, for now it appears that most (if not all) rugby scholarships in the USA are currently partial scholarships, making it somewhat less attractive an option but, the significant growth of Rugby in the USA may well see this change - and will potentially become another leakage point for our players...

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
The collapse of the Pro League, in January this year, after the inaugural season was / is a drawback , in that , conceptually better players could have been aligned to a pro franchise and able to receive payments to direct toward their tuition costs - and not been in breach of NCAA Rules - given that Rugby ( Men's Rugby at least ) is not an NCAA Sport

If anyone has a 7's playing Daughter - different ball game. Women's Rugby is NCAA aligned and the Scholarship door is wide open.

As to why Women's Rugby is NCAA aligned and Men's Rugby is not it is all about diversity in NCAA Women's Sport and squaring up the participation ledger.

The keys to the longer and short term Student /Athlete opportunities in Men's Rugby in the USA might come down to a few things :

1. Growing viewing numbers in their Television Audience - note that the Penn Mutual College 7's tournament ( as of last season I think ) is now broadcast on NBC Sports Network that gives a national exposure

2. Whilst it stays non NCAA ....the opportunity for College Programs to tap Rugby loving boosters to privately sponsor players and in so doing bring a better competitive advantage to those programs that can ID the right type of talent

3. In combination with , or separate to , Point 2 above , the opportunity for limited work visas co-ordinated by the College /Club booster to help offset tuition - board costs.

4. The ability for Rugby and other College Sporting Programs to work collaboratively in recruiting two sport athletes .....IE: American Football and Rugby . Rowing and 7's....essentially using the Scholarship base off one sport to provide mutual benefit to 2 x sports . I note that Rugby / 7's runs counter to the American Football season

I acknowledge they are all difficult and not without their issues , however , if young players were serious about the possibility of the pathway it might behoove them to understand and build toward the staples of athletic testing that is run for all American Football High School Recruits ( 40 yard dash , standing broad jump , vertical leap , 3 cone agility drill , 100kg bench )

Or if they were a Rower , build toward your Single Scull and your 2KM Erg times . If you are at least 6'2 +, a B Level or better type student, and can pull around 6.20m or better on a 2KM Erg - you'll likely attract plenty of interest - especially considering schoolboy rowing in Australia seems to have a jump on high school rowing in the States

Garry Owens

Alan Cameron (40)
There will be more Nic Dolly's in the future as well

BSHS's Josh Fenner ( 2016 ) is currently tied to the Leicester Tigers Academy

If memory serves TGS's Matt Wiltshire ( 2016 ) linked to the Chiefs program

The current state of affairs in Australian Rugby will have an impact ( yet to be properly determined ) for maturing U20 / Senior players over the next 3 to 5 years

This may see many more young men in that 18 to 22 year old bracket pursuing ( and being increasingly pursued off the current no to low base ) educational , rugby and lifestyle opportunities elsewhere

Status
Not open for further replies.