• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brisbane Tests

Status
Not open for further replies.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I went to Brisbane for the test on the weekend and had never attended a football game of any code there prior.

I have to say (and i hate admitting this to our Queensland cousins) it was one of the best places i have attended (with the exception of Twickenham). There could have been a bit more singing but in terms of after the match and atmosphere it was the best.

I believe the only way that this could be rivalled is if there was an 'after the game' option at Homebush that's similar.

Those who have been to Twickenham will know what im talking about, they keep bars open in the venue. Have music continuing. Why can't we have an option like this in Sydney?

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
Did you venture up Caxton street or walk up to the Paddo Tavern?

Thats the after game option here in Brisbane!

I got kicked out of Suncorp about 15 minutes after full time at an NRL game last year. I think they should keep the bars open for at least 30 minutes after the game to slow down the exit of supporters and ease the congestion for public transport.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've never been to Suncorp. Planning to travel to all the British Lions tests next year so I'll get an opportunity then.

I went to the Bledisloe in Melbourne a few years ago that we won. A packed MCG was a pretty incredible atmosphere. The only problem was that there was far more black than gold in the crowd.

MrTimms

Ken Catchpole (46)
Staff member
I went to the Bledisloe in Melbourne a few years ago that we won. A packed MCG was a pretty incredible atmosphere. The only problem was that there was far more black than gold in the crowd.

That happens everywhere here. After being to the Bledisloe in Auckland, I really don't think Australia really understands what a home crowd can be.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given that we won, and the four people I was at the game with were all Kiwis, it probably made the whole experience better.

Particularly after one of them heckled me that the ABs were going to win by 50 when Tony Woodcock scored in the first couple of minutes.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I must say that Suncorp is a sensational Stadium BUT it's run by a bunch of Nazi fun killers. I am sick of hearing how I am not allowed on the ground or they will fine me $8K, How I should drink responsible and I should dob anyone who isn't in, that I can't stop on the thoroughfare and chat to a friend because Suncorp is a seating only stadium, how I can't tell the drunken slob 5 seats down to sit the f*#k down because I can't see the game in my $150 seat because I'm causing trouble.
They need to back off and get out of my face a bit. They really are the worst thing about going there. And don't even get me started on $7.60 for Bundy! and $6.60 for a gold

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
When they say you can text the stadium if there is any abusive or anti-social behaviour where you're sitting, send a message saying "Yeh I have a kiwi sitting next to me"

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've never been to Suncorp. Planning to travel to all the British Lions tests next year so I'll get an opportunity then.

Best not to book anything yet...it's the year after next...

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
I've had the same tickets since the New stadium opened. From when the reds where in the 10 year rebuilding stage ;) where I had no one sitting around me watching the cooper goof ups, to attending the Super grand final win and the last tir nation game with a win.....

Love this stadium the best in the country hands down,,,,

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I would love to catch a game at brisbane. It looked amazing saturday night. Great looking stadium. i've been to an ANZ game and comparing the views and the atmosphere there with what we get at AAMI park down here in melbs....ouch! they'd be better off playing the games in sydney at the SCG. capacity 46,000...about the same size field as ANZ and at least the SCG is right in town.

Given the gold coast is getting the argentina game next year, Sydney an NZ game, presumably Perth an SA game (all for the four nations) what games are Brissy and Melbourne going to get?
or if brissy gets the Saffa game, what will Perth and Melbourne get?
anyone have any word on the inbound tours for next year?

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
Interesting the texting antisocial behaviour thing... I texted them saying that all the kiwi's chanting all blacks are being antisocial, remove them all please.

Also RE fun police, agree with this point big time. The ushers are very annoying, I have had a couple of incidents in the past were I've wanted to sit in one spot for a school curtain raiser, (i.e. with school), and then move up to my seats for the actual game and they wouldnt have a word of it. Fuckin annoying, I will bloody move at the end of this game! The food is overpriced too but those are minor complaints, much rather have these than that round piece of shit in sydney

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
I must say that Suncorp is a sensational Stadium BUT it's run by a bunch of Nazi fun killers. I am sick of hearing how I am not allowed on the ground or they will fine me $8K, How I should drink responsible and I should dob anyone who isn't in, that I can't stop on the thoroughfare and chat to a friend because Suncorp is a seating only stadium, how I can't tell the drunken slob 5 seats down to sit the f*#k down because I can't see the game in my $150 seat because I'm causing trouble.
They need to back off and get out of my face a bit. They really are the worst thing about going there. And don't even get me started on $7.60 for Bundy! and $6.60 for a gold

Here is my 2 cent's on this.

I have to tell you after spending $160 on a ticket there could be a better way of handling this.

I think Twickenham (along with sporting codes in North America) have the balance right.

I unfortunatley got to the point with the people sitting next to me that if they had drinks in the aisle i wasn't letting them past me until there was a breakdown in play. Why should i miss the game for you?

At Twickenham and games of Hockey etc i have been to if you leave your seat you are not able to return until there is a breakdown in play. There is enough of them in Rugby. It would be good as people would be more considerate of when they get up out of their seats etc.

What i did like about Twickenham (i was working there at the time) is that they shut the bars just before the anthems to ensure everyone is in their seat. After seeing that, i think we lack a bit of decorum (spelling) in that department.

But i agree with that earlier point. Why not leave the bar open to ease transport after the game?

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
...I can't stop on the thoroughfare and chat to a friend because Suncorp is a seating only stadium, how I can't tell the drunken slob 5 seats down to sit the f*#k down because I can't see the game in my $150 seat because I'm causing trouble.
They need to back off and get out of my face a bit. ...

Sounds like stadium designers in Australia are still in the same phase they were when they built the Olympic Stadium - that an ideal stadium is one where you can get the maximum number of people into their seat quickly before the game, disperse them ASAP after the game, and...that's it. Any sort of positive experience other than sitting in your seat and watching the game is irrelevant.

Newer baseball stadiums in the US show the way to go, I think - they want their crowds to turn up for 80 or so boring games of baseball per year, so they make it an enjoyable experience: places to catch up before and after the game, good food (and choices), good drink, other entertainment, etc. A pity - it'll probably be a while now before any new stadiums will be built in major cities here.

EVERYFWDTHINKTHEYREA6OR7

Syd Malcolm (24)
Exactly. What about selling can's and bringin them up so people are not getting in the way of each other.

I mean i love a fair few beers at the footy. Buy 4 and drink them from there. It might be more because Qlders like their rum and feel the need to drink them a million miles an hour.

But seriously like i say i like a fair few beers but did you go there to drink or watch the footy? If it's both of those, be considerate of those who paid to see the game!

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I really enjoy AAMI Park. Throughout the game the back walk way is opened outside. You can walk straight from your seats outside. No need for a pass out or anything as it is all blocked off from the public.
at half time you can take your drinks outside and chat until the 2nd half begins. It's great. The problem is the bars shut down early so you have a bit of a trek to get anywhere afterwards for game. Not a huge walk, but if you could pour outside into a pub in the olympic park it would be great

but look at me i have digressed onto melbourne stadiums in a brisbane thread!

MCG does it great if you're in the MCC. you can stick around in the bars till well after the game is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.