• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

British & Irish Lions tour of New Zealand (2017)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Not ignorance. Trying to be funny. Didn't work. We have blonds too in my family. Vanuatuan heritage.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Fair enough mate, I wasn't trying to be too critical!! I didn't mean ignorance in any insulting manner.

Phil

Chris McKivat (8)
Actually
Waikato is his NPC team.

Ngati Tuwharetoa/Ngati Tahinga are the two tribes he is part of.
Actually,BH,I think Waikato is where the tribes come from but I was more interested in how just mentioning some Maori tribes actually confirmed his heritage?It would make more sense to say his great grandfather on his mother's side was Maori,or the like.Having seen a few more things about how meticulous they are about checking,I am not doubting his Maori connection and would love to see him run riot against the Lions.Bit of a change from what he does to our Super teams!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Actually

Actually,BH,I think Waikato is where the tribes come from but I was more interested in how just mentioning some Maori tribes actually confirmed his heritage?It would make more sense to say his great grandfather on his mother's side was Maori,or the like.Having seen a few more things about how meticulous they are about checking,I am not doubting his Maori connection and would love to see him run riot against the Lions.Bit of a change from what he does to our Super teams!

I realise the tribes he is associated with are both in the north island around Taupo but the team listing I saw had their provincial teams which is what Waikato is here.

The point is that he has Maori heritage. If he has Maori ancestry then potentially there are 13 hundred years of ancestors who were Maori.

I get what you are saying but I don't think it works to name a relative that qualifies them. This is different to the parent or grandparent rule for international qualification.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyone trying to bluff their way into MAB on the basis that their Aunty married a Maori would get laughed out've the team room. Unless you can recite your ancestry (whakapapa) & the marae you, your parents and/ or grandparents belong to, and can prove it, you've got no standing & therefore no show regardless of how good a player you might happen to be.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Gatland has named his Lions side to face the Maori:

1. Mako Vunipola (England)
2. Jamie George (England)
3. Tadhg Furlong (Ireland)
4. Maro Itoje (England)
5. George Kruis (England)
6. Peter O'Mahony (C) (Ireland)
7. Sean O'Brien (Ireland)
8. Taulupe Faletau (Wales)
9. Conor Murray (Ireland)
10. Johnny Sexton (Ireland)
11. George North (Wales)
12. Ben Te'o (England)
13. Jonathan Davies (Wales)
14. Anthony Watson (England)
15. Leigh Halfpenny (Wales)

16. Ken Owens (Wales)
17. Jack McGrath (Ireland)
18. Kyle Sinckler (England)
19. Iain Henderson (Ireland)
20. Sam Warburton (Wales)
21. Greig Laidlaw (Scotland)
22. Owen Farrell (England)
23. Elliot Daly (England)

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Lions Tour Diary Day 14.

Mummy, it's me Tarquin here again. Thank you ever so much for mailing me over the replacement cravats. My billet hosts Hemi & Rangi just ate my last one.

The camp is rippling with excitement today as we are going to unveil a new strip in our match this Saturday against the native people. The jersey has specially designed neck padding to protect against the blaggards and their potential neck-focused attack savagery.

I have attached a sneak preview of the jersey below, as modelled by Jonathon Sexton of House Percy. To further heighten the delicious anticipation I shall leave a big gap now and you can scroll down to see the jersey's technologically-groundbreaking new design and style:

640798a7fe1594410f72df09821721c5.jpg

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
And the Maori team:

1. Kane Hames
2. Ash Dixon (C)
3. Ben May
4. Joe Wheeler
5. Tom Franklin
6. Akira Ioane
7. Elliot Dixon
8. Liam Messam
9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10. Damian McKenzie
11. Rieko Ioane
12. Charlie Ngatai
13. Matt Proctor
14. Nehe Milner-Skudder
15. James Lowe

16. Hikawera Elliot
17. Chris Eves
18. Marcel Renata
19. Leighton Price
20. Kara Pryor
21. Bryn Hall
22. Ihaia West
23. Rob Thompson

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Workman like pack/tight five but, as you say, a backline that's definitely aiming for the 2003 Blues level of balls-to-the-wall, all-out-attack, defence-is-for-the-weak blitzkrieg-ing jailbreak rugby.

Weather is looking clear, too.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
That Maori backline is certainly not going the conservative route. Wow.

They might make the Lions backline look like they're playing touch.

Then again, that Maori backline may actually be playing touch given their combined defensive expertise.

Could be a basketball score come Saturday which is probably consistent with the Polynesian b-ball the Maori team will unroll.

So, to summarise, Saturday will be the world's first ever game of touch basketball (perhaps I should take today's meds).

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Suspect the Lions will have a real crack at knocking DMac off his game, by the same reasoning DMac maybe playing to show AB coaches etc his ability as that the position they apparently like for him.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And the Maori team:

1. Kane Hames
2. Ash Dixon (C)
3. Ben May
4. Joe Wheeler
5. Tom Franklin
6. Akira Ioane
7. Elliot Dixon
8. Liam Messam
9. Tawera Kerr-Barlow
10. Damian McKenzie
11. Rieko Ioane
12. Charlie Ngatai
13. Matt Proctor
14. Nehe Milner-Skudder
15. James Lowe

16. Hikawera Elliot
17. Chris Eves
18. Marcel Renata
19. Leighton Price
20. Kara Pryor
21. Bryn Hall
22. Ihaia West
23. Rob Thompson

Do you actually need to have Maori ancestry to be picked for this side?