• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I wonder how much of that is people interested in the RWC subscribing and then unsubscribing later. Will be interesting to see if this is a trend of just seasonal.

One element of these subscription services is that they are much easier to opt in and out of for all parties because there isn't any hardware required (unlike a Foxtel connection) so they don't need long term contracts (and essentially can't force them on the consumers either).

For something that is in its infancy though, you would think that Kayo should be steadily increasing their customers even if there was a season reduction as speculated above.

Its just a sample of one, but I was in Kayo for the RWC, out of it till last week and now back in for Super. Although the cricket has been interesting plus a few other sports, I'll be out again as soon as Super is over. Getting in and out is dead easy.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Sure. But that doesn't contradict what I'm saying, even the last sentence.
Compiles and produces. How many in the production chain do you say are exclusively in-house Fox staff?

Promise last on this: my point re Foxtel vs Optus unit production and output costs was not ever "oh, there's a lot of in-house Fox Sports resources", my point was this: "when you procure a largest-in-country truckload of common sports production facilities, technologies, people, uplifts (whether by outsource or insource) you will get a pile of bulk buying synergies and cost per unit of output savings vs, say, an Optus trying to do the same thing with just one sport alone that it originates for TV and IP and esp where it has no past experience in doing that".

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Fox are cutting back content left, right and centre.

Their downsized sports production suppliers need the work.

There's no roadblock for Optus (or their like) on that count, should they take the wheel.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
The decline of foxtel is going to put a hole in every sporting budget in Australia. It's just going to put a black hole in rugby Australia.

But perhaps given Foxtel was 'doing us slowly' we should just jump now into Optus and gamble - afterall, we haven't being in positive territory with Fox Sports for a very long time.

footy1>31

Ted Thorn (20)
I do prefer the Sky NZ build up to the 515 game rather than last year where it was the studio show with Louise Ransome all the way through.

S

Show-n-go

Slight change of pace but does anyone know why the game times have changed a little this year? NZ games starting at 5 and Aus games at 7-7:15?

The earlier start for nz games is really crap on a Friday arvo, can’t imagine it’s any good for tv viewership

S

Show-n-go

Interesting, I’d argue the time differences are negligible for families but overall negative from a tv viewership perspective

S

Show-n-go

The earlier start is for the benefit of New Zealand viewers, not us.

You’re not wrong

But even by NZ view

730pm start as opposed to 7 means nothing really, that isn’t affecting families either at home or at the game

And the Aus game starts in NZ at 9:15 which has zero impact on families either, any kid who has a bedtime is already in bed

S

Show-n-go

What are you on about specifically mentioned “at home or at the game” in my last post

First post was talking about the times in Aus and the second nz

The changes to gametimes would have very very little change to crowd attendance

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
It appeals to families more, that much is a fact.

Does it negatively impact on ratings? I highly doubt it, the Fri 5:30 game has never been a ratings winner

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The earlier times are certainly not going to help families get to the stadium on a Friday night..............

It's a peculiar decision considering other popular sports continue to have a prime time start after 7.30.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Slim, which games so far this year have started at 5pm at the stadium? Both games were in NZ if I'm not mistaken, and they started then at 7pm local time.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The earlier times are certainly not going to help families get to the stadium on a Friday night......

It's a peculiar decision considering other popular sports continue to have a prime time start after 7.30.

AFL games start at 7:15 (on Sat) 7:30 on Friday/Thurs. Majority of BBL games were 7:10. NRL is 7:30.

Super Rugby games at 7:45 often kicking off at 7:50 were just weird. Same for Tests at 8pm.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
AFL games start at 7:15 (on Sat) 7:30 on Friday/Thurs. Majority of BBL games were 7:10. NRL is 7:30.

Super Rugby games at 7:45 often kicking off at 7:50 were just weird. Same for Tests at 8pm.

The bounce for Saturday night AFL games in Melbourne is generally 7.25pm........

Friday nights are mostly at 7.50pm.

The NRL has quite a number of 8pm kick offs..

S

Show-n-go

It appeals to families more, that much is a fact.

Does it negatively impact on ratings? I highly doubt it, the Fri 5:30 game has never been a ratings winner

You highly doubt that changing from 530 to 5 has a negative impact on ratings?? Half the country doesn’t get off work till 5

I tell you what definitely doesn’t have a negative impact, a game starting at 730 as opposed to 7. Any family that says that half hour is the deciding factor on whether they attend a game or not is taking the piss and isn’t truly interested in going in the first place

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
You highly doubt that changing from 530 to 5 has a negative impact on ratings?? Half the country doesn’t get off work till 5

I tell you what definitely doesn’t have a negative impact, a game starting at 730 as opposed to 7. Any family that says that half hour is the deciding factor on whether they attend a game or not is taking the piss and isn’t truly interested in going in the first place

Yeah it won’t because the Kiwi games on at 5:30 have never been a rating blockbuster anyway.

Nah, the earlier games certainly help families, even if only half an hour

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
The bounce for Saturday night AFL games in Melbourne is generally 7.25pm....

Friday nights are mostly at 7.50pm.

The NRL has quite a number of 8pm kick offs..

Apples and organise though, NRL has 16 Aussie teams to slot into time slots, as opposed to rugby’s 4. NRL can afford to play some games in unsavoury time slots as part of the wider package. NRL also play a game at 6pm on a Friday, which is why they push the 2nd Friday night game to 8pm.