• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
There has been some discussion about IPTV on here. Good to see SANZAR are considering it as part of the broadcast mix as well as free to air TV:

When it comes to discussing sport broadcast rights, rugby union is often the forgotten code.

With the sport's premium Super Rugby competition locked behind the wall of pay TV and international games limited to a small proportion of the year on free-to-air, it is difficult for the Australian Rugby Union to increase its audience.

It is understood that the ARU is exploring a return to free-to-air for Super Rugby for its next rights negotiations. The idea that the ARU, with its respective partners in New Zealand and South Africa, could also look at an internet protocol television offering is not unfathomable.

''In the world of IPTV, it is absolutely realistic to be putting content out there that doesn't carry the viewing levels of some of the other codes,'' ARU chief executive Bill Pulver said.

''In that environment, there is a financial model that works and achieves much broader distribution for our game.''

The present rights deal expires at the end of next year, and the heads of rugby union across the countries that participate are now designing the structure of the competition from 2016.

''On the back of that, we'll also put together the agreement for the commercial terms of that relationship. Digital rights will be front and centre in that conversation,'' Pulver said.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/free...wing-super-rugby-audience-20140307-34cpv.html

Also in today's SMH an article on the emergence and importance of IPTV for Australian codes.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/view...-broadcasting-gamechanger-20140307-34cq0.html

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This is Pulver's area of expertise, I believe.

The AFL have a staff of 100 (including 50 journalists) producing content right now, apparently. We can never compete with that sort of effort.

Let's hope that Pulver has some tricks up his sleeve.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
If the ARU can't get Super Rugby on FTA, would it be feasible to online stream one game live each week?

It would be feasible, but obviously it would be part of the overall negotiations, because any kind of dissemination of the games has a value.

I have been thinking about the whole question of FTA coverage of Soup.

Foxtel's main driver is subscriptions, so we are told. Advertising revenues are secondary.

Surely it might be possible for the next negotiations to include a simulcast of one game a week on Australian FTA. Or, alternatively, a clause to allow/require Fox Sports to sell the rights to one game a week on FTA (the game to be chosen by the ARU).

FTA would only be interested if:

1. The chosen game involved at least one Australian franchise.
2. The game could be televised live (perhaps "on delay" to allow advertising, a la Channel Nine's Sunday afternoon broadcast).
3. A game would be available every week, at the same time. My pick would be 4 pm Saturday afternoon, on the basis that this time could work for both New Zealand and Australian based matches. Plus there seems little point going up against the loig on Sunday arvo, better to go against the AFL.

One game a week would surely not impact on Foxtel subscriptions. In fact, in might be argued that having a game on FTA might encourage more subscriptions, from people who realise that the events are worth watching, and to watch them all you have to subscribe to Foxtel.

The fee paid by FTA could be transferred to Fox Sports/Foxtel. Who cares? The only thing that really matters is getting our product onto FTA.

I should have added the obvious caveat that our partner unions would have to be willing to cooperate, so that the schedule could be tailored to meet our needs. That should not be a huge problem. NZ franchises currently start games as early as 2 pm their time and of course our franchises should welcome an occasional Saturday afternoon game.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
Well said wamberal.

I sometimes feel like it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. Yes, rugby needs the popularity to get onto FTA. But FTA is needed to help increase the popularity.

Having a regular time-slot each weekend would be important. Got to start somewhere.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
If it happens, it will be channel 10 would be my guess. Of all the stations, they seem to devote the most news time to rugby.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
If it happens, it will be channel 10 would be my guess. Of all the stations, they seem to devote the most news time to rugby.

Well, the CEO of Ten did state that they were looking to make Rugby their major sport. Hopefully that may mean them picking up Super Rugby.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
TEN are looking for what they call 'event' TV. At the top end of the spectrum it's Bledisloe Cups, Grand Finals etc events that people know will be on at a specific time and will make an effort to tune into. It boosts audience numbers and helps sponsors plan copromotion events.
If they were to become involved in Super Rugby, the game(s), as Wamberal says, would need to be on at the same time each week. I'm not so sure that game has to have an Aussie team, I think NZ derbies would rate well... Especially considering how many of them live here.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
TEN are looking for what they call 'event' TV. At the top end of the spectrum it's Bledisloe Cups, Grand Finals etc events that people know will be on at a specific time and will make an effort to tune into. It boosts audience numbers and helps sponsors plan copromotion events.
If they were to become involved in Super Rugby, the game(s), as Wamberal says, would need to be on at the same time each week. I'm not so sure that game has to have an Aussie team, I think NZ derbies would rate well. Especially considering how many of them live here.

Well, essentially there are games on at set time slots. Most Fridays we have a 5:30 game and a 7:30 game and usually the same on Saturday. We could do it as part of the negotiations. SA get a 6th team for us to have a number of set games in advantageous time zones.

I also agree. I don't think it necessarily needs to be games with Aus teams involved. People want to see entertainment and the NZ derbies and game tend to be that.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Well, essentially there are games on at set time slots. Most Fridays we have a 5:30 game and a 7:30 game and usually the same on Saturday. We could do it as part of the negotiations. SA get a 6th team for us to have a number of set games in advantageous time zones.

I also agree. I don't think it necessarily needs to be games with Aus teams involved. People want to see entertainment and the NZ derbies and game tend to be that.

Died in the wool rugby supporters would watch any rugby. We need to attract people who are not died in the wool. The starting point has to be games in which at least one Australian team is involved, IMHO.

I hate to say it, but if people want "entertainment", they probably won't watch rugby, unless they are diehard fans.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I've moved this over here from the Reds v Stormers game thread.

@FOXRugbyLive: Take note @SuperRugbyAUS fans: Saturday night's @Reds_Rugby v Stormers match will be telecast on Speed - Channel 512. From 7.30pm AEDT

I don't mean to hijack this thread (so if anyone can point me to a better thread to post in I would appreciate it) BUT, this is very alarming!

From the Foxtel TV Guide on Sat night 6:30pm (AEST):
FoxSports1 - Live NRL (Bulldogs v Storm)
FoxSports2 - Live A League (Melb V v Syd FC)
FoxSports3 - Live AFL (Fremantle v Gold Coast)
FoxFooty - Live AFL (Sydney v Collingwood)
SPEEDHD - Live: To Be Advised

So from the tweet above we can clearly see that in the eyes of Foxtel, our game rates below the three main other codes and is listed as "TBA". It should be noted that at 9:30pm on FS3 the Reds v Stormers games is listed as being televised 'Live' which it of course won't be - it will be a replay.

Apart from the obvious issue with this, a big concern for me is that any casual observers at home on Sat night looking for some contact sport to watch, won't find the Rugby that is on if they are anything like me. If I'm looking for something to watch I check what is on FS1, 2 & 3, then check Eurosport and if nothing's on any of them I might check ESPN, but I don't think I have ever had a look to see what is on Speed.

Man what a shot in the nuts!!! Whoever does the bargaining for Rugby's TV Deals is clearly a half wit at best.

/rant

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I've moved this over here from the Reds v Stormers game thread.

I don't mean to hijack this thread (so if anyone can point me to a better thread to post in I would appreciate it) BUT, this is very alarming!

From the Foxtel TV Guide on Sat night 6:30pm (AEST):
FoxSports1 - Live NRL (Bulldogs v Storm)
FoxSports2 - Live A League (Melb V v Syd FC)
FoxSports3 - Live AFL (Fremantle v Gold Coast)
FoxFooty - Live AFL (Sydney v Collingwood)
SPEEDHD - Live: To Be Advised

So from the tweet above we can clearly see that in the eyes of Foxtel, our game rates below the three main other codes and is listed as "TBA". It should be noted that at 9:30pm on FS3 the Reds v Stormers games is listed as being televised 'Live' which it of course won't be - it will be a replay.

Apart from the obvious issue with this, a big concern for me is that any casual observers at home on Sat night looking for some contact sport to watch, won't find the Rugby that is on if they are anything like me. If I'm looking for something to watch I check what is on FS1, 2 & 3, then check Eurosport and if nothing's on any of them I might check ESPN, but I don't think I have ever had a look to see what is on Speed.

Man what a shot in the nuts!!! Whoever does the bargaining for Rugby's TV Deals is clearly a half wit at best.

/rant

I hope this is some sort of sick joke. Relegate the damn A-League to Speed TV as in terms of ratings it rates the lowest of the four.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
This stinks. When you purchase foxtel and fox1, 2 & 3 you expect to have the live super rugby rights correct? that is what they advertise, live and exclusive!!!!

Therefore anything to the contrary falls under section 18 of the Australian Consumer law - Misleading and deceptive conduct?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This stinks. When you purchase foxtel and fox1, 2 & 3 you expect to have the live super rugby rights correct? that is what they advertise, live and exclusive!!!!

Therefore anything to the contrary falls under section 18 of the Australian Consumer law - Misleading and deceptive conduct?

Mate. You better call the Australian Federal Police again.

After last weekend I'm assuming you have them on speed dial.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

That's actually a very good question. I might consult my text on that. One thing that will be happening is a very angry phone call.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
Very funny very funny but I'm serious this time... Anyone here a lawyer? It's not hard to win a misleading or deceptive case.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
It is still live, it's just on a channel that anyone not in the know, will struggle to find, so in that respect you are still getting what you pay for by subscribing to Foxtel Sports package.

AFL has it's own channel, yet it is getting a second game played on FS3. So either they have a stronger (or better worded) contract in terms of their broadcast deal, they simply have more pull with FoxSports or it rates better so FoxSports has simply taken a decision to play both AFL games as a priority. It's worth noting that the AFL game on FS3 is also being shown live on FTA (Ch 73).

If the ratings are the issue though, I fail to see why the A-League game is given priority over Rugby so it is more likely one of the other two.

It is pretty apparent that on a night with a heap of footy on, where Rugby is seen to be sitting in the pecking order. Not a good look for us.