• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
For a sporting code which has so little going for it and of such low value, News Corp is certainly expending a fair chunk of resources to argue that rugby should have stuck with Foxtel and not taken it to market for a competitive tender.

Never underestimate the need for Rupert The Undead to suck life out of anything until it's a dried-up husk. Makes Machiavelli look like Gandhi.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
For a sporting code which has so little going for it and of such low value, News Corp is certainly expending a fair chunk of resources to argue that rugby should have stuck with Foxtel and not taken it to market for a competitive tender.
13% drop in Kayo subscribers at the conclusion of the World Cup. Imagine how much more that number would fall if it lost rugby all together. You can see Fox’s tactics they are trying to scare all the other bidders away and retain the rights at a lower price. You think of how many dollars they have spent trying to tear Rugby down over the past few months instead of marketing the upcoming season. I hope they work out a deal with 10 get some live games on FTA and they rest stays on Fox. It would help give so many more people access to the game and that’s exactly what we need.

Notice how ever since 04 when rugby when exclusively behind a paywall the sport has been steadily going backwards, it’s because we have limited how many people we can reach. No sport thrives solely on Fox look at the NBL Big Bash and A League. As soon as the big bash got on 10 people started watching it and crowds grew, the NBL almost died when it went behind the paywall and what was one of the keys to its revival FTA coverage. The A League despite all the money that has been invested into it still struggles to establish itself without a FTA presence. It’s really not that hard you may have to take less money initially but you will recoup your losses

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
The a-league has had a FTA presence for the last 8 years. Each broadcaster (SBS, Ten, now ABC) showed a game each week at the same time.

It's been pretty disastrous all round. The networks ratings have been terrible, and doesn't seem to have driven interest in the comp on PayTV. The comp has earned less money from the deal each year.

The A-league FTA experience - and our test match ratings - is probably why we will never get much interest ($$$) from commercial FTA TV

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/rugby-...oney-for-rugby-australia-20200209-p53z5u.html
As reported in the Herald's media section on Monday, Rugby Australia will this week send out non-disclosure agreements to Foxtel, Optus, Amazon, Rugby Pass and Australia's three commercial free-to-air networks.

The agreements are the precursor to the sport's first open-market tender process for the broadcast rights to its club-to-Wallabies schedule until the end of 2025.

Not all those parties will sign and return them, but by week's end the ones who have are the ones that will be regarded as seriously interested in what the next five years of Australian and international rugby has to offer their businesses.

That Foxtel is on that list gives the lie to five days of furious speculation that the majority News Corp-owned pay television provider has walked away from the game it helped champion for the past 25 years.

That Optus is there too confirms its interest is real in growing its sport business beyond several levels of football. It does not guarantee a bid at the end of the process but it suggests, with former FFA director and new chief executive Kelly Bayer Rosmarin at the helm, it is seriously weighing one up.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)

I couldn't agree more Adam, I didn't really think much about it until I was reading Sunday Mail, and read how silly RA were because the Newscorp papers wouldn't be inclined to give any editorial content to rugby, I was thinking hello we trying to put pressure on here, and this Morning Greg Martin was doing exact same thing, saying how he has lost his contarct and RA is going to really hurt game.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This might be showing my (lack of) age - but why the hell does anyone watch FTA anymore? Besides the odd bit of sport it's awful. Particularly when you can get just about any entertainment you want for very little money (or no money - let's be honest) online.

Plus online news sources are significantly better than the utter tripe dished up by the commercial networks (though to be fair i haven't seen nine news or whatever in at least a decade - maybe it's improved?). Are there a large contingent of people who can't afford Netflix or Stan or whatever the fuck they are all called?

I honestly think the only reason the FTA channels exist is because the older gens can't be bothered to ween themselves off them (sounds familiar).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Really poignant comment made in reply to matt Rowley’s article about castles handing of this broadcast deal and benefits of having genuine sports administrator behind this - have to agree that certainly seeing the benefit of this.

Everything I read about plans on packaging the rugby product (club game at sat 3pm, oz game in nz at 5pm and oz game at 7.30 sounds a well thought out strategy that having problems recognising this is a well thought out strategy coming from RA!!!

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I honestly think the only reason the FTA channels exist is because the older gens can't be bothered to ween themselves off them (sounds familiar).

Nah mate. My fellow Gen-Y's (or are we millennials?) lap the reality tv shows up, to the point where I walk into the office to see organised betting on who's going to win the Bachelor/Bachelorette, Married at first sight, whatever cooking show is on.

When we renovated our house, the Sparkie asked me if I wanted a TV cable routed in our TV room. Had to tell him I haven't plugged in the cable in 10+ years.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Nah mate. My fellow Gen-Y's (or are we millennials?) lap the reality tv shows up, to the point where I walk into the office to see organised betting on who's going to win the Bachelor/Bachelorette, Married at first sight, whatever cooking show is on.

When we renovated our house, the Sparkie asked me if I wanted a TV cable routed in our TV room. Had to tell him I haven't plugged in the cable in 10+ years.

That's a bit depressing.

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)

I'm not a fan of the reality TV shows, but can definitely identify with not plugging the TV in.

5G internet (and then whatever is next gen after that) will make the NBN (to your home) redundant, set-top box TV will go. Punters will only subscribe to what they want to subscribe to. Austar/Foxtel and even Netflix/etc to a degree will need to adapt to this.

My kids live on YouTube and TikTok (FML) but that's the way of the future...

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
Really poignant comment made in reply to mark Rowley’s article about castles handing of this broadcast deal and benefits of having genuine sports administrator behind this - have to agree that certainly seeing the benefit of this.
*Matt

Everything I read about plans on packaging the rugby product (club game at sat 3pm, oz game in nz at 5pm and oz game at 7.30 sounds a well thought out strategy that having problems recognising this is a well thought out strategy coming from RA!!!
I would add that there should be a club rugby wrap at halftime in the NZ game or fulltime in that game. That'll be roughly 6-7pm and will be right at the time that your country clubs are heading to the pub for speeches and will make a good talking point for rugby in general.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This might be showing my (lack of) age - but why the hell does anyone watch FTA anymore? Besides the odd bit of sport it's awful.

The ABC is better than any other single channel or source.

One reason that people (like me) stick to conventional television (via Foxtel) is because we have sunk a fair bit of money into equipment, including in our case, some expensive speakers. We have a comfortable set-up that works, and gives us everything we need. Why change? We only watch three or sometimes a bit more hours a day, and a lot of that is the ABC. Suits us, and probably suits a lot of other older (and in some cases, pretty affluent) viewers. No doubt things will change over time.

S

Show-n-go

The ABC is better than any other single channel or source.

fuck me, im genuinely curious what you watch on there?

i could think of nothing worse than sitting down and having to watch ABC or SBS consistently

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This might be showing my (lack of) age - but why the hell does anyone watch FTA anymore? Besides the odd bit of sport it's awful. Particularly when you can get just about any entertainment you want for very little money (or no money - let's be honest) online.

It's easy and accessible. It's free. As much as certain people on here love their streaming platforms, there is still a great swathe of the population out there who dislike using the internet, let alone a streaming service.

There's a large number of people who turn on the TV at night and decide what to watch at that point.

The other factor to consider is pubs and clubs, many of whom might not even have Foxtel. Going to a more niche streaming platform will really hurt our ability to be on even in the background at the pub on a Saturday night.

FTA is not the panacea that many believe (as someone pointed out above, the A-League is a telling example), but it still has a bucketload of advantages over other options.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It's easy and accessible. It's free. As much as certain people on here love their streaming platforms, there is still a great swathe of the population out there who dislike using the internet, let alone a streaming service.

There's a large number of people who turn on the TV at night and decide what to watch at that point.

The other factor to consider is pubs and clubs, many of whom might not even have Foxtel. Going to a more niche streaming platform will really hurt our ability to be on even in the background at the pub on a Saturday night.

FTA is not the panacea that many believe (as someone pointed out above, the A-League is a telling example), but it still has a bucketload of advantages over other options.
I think most of those issues you've identified are valid but relatively short term problems. Though, i suppose the broadcast deal is only for 5 years?