1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by WorkingClassRugger, Aug 29, 2012.

1. WorkingClassRugger Steve Williams (59)

Yep. This will be what they make of it. So with that in mind from RA's perspective they need to marketing the ever lover shit out of it. To the existing base and potential fans. Actually sell it. From the clubs. This is their chance to prove what they've been declaring for years. Time to back it up. I agree. This is the perfect platform to seek investment separate from central funding. Energise their networks and draw in interest. Present them with ambitious goals of where this competition should be headed.

What I would hope exists at least in some form are plans to develop the pathway further for new teams to work their way up the system. Not a third national division. More primarily state based leagues allowing the likes of Newcastle, the Illawarra and other ambitious region/club (city based) to vie for promotion long term.
  2. WorkingClassRugger Steve Williams (59)

No question it should be Melbourne. Penrith would be a feel good stroy but truth be told they've never managed to create a competitive landscape out there. The Two Blues with this have a fairly solid opportunity to fill the gap. But they've just got to have the planning and ambition to do so.
  3. WorkingClassRugger Steve Williams (59)

That's...interesting. A above in my first comment I actually wouldn't mind it replacing both competitions. Nor would I mind if it ran after but I tend to think that's not really that revolutionary of a step which is needed for long term planning.
  4. Outsider Stan Wickham (3)

The boys at Double Take should have a look - they produce and distribute QPR and GPS Rugby.
  5. Strewthcobber Mark Ella (57)

Salary cap, pro, semi-pro, shamateur, fully amateur? This is what makes or breaks the comp
    RebelYell likes this.
  6. WorkingClassRugger Steve Williams (59)

It will certainly make or break a number of the participants. I think the goal should be to transition to professionalism. In which timeframe will depend on a number of factors.
  7. dru Simon Poidevin (60)

$
  8. sunnyboys Ted Thorn (20)

If the National Club Comp is in addition to Shute/QPR, then it does become a big commitment for amateur club players.
  9. HJ Nelson Vay Wilson (31)

RA Media Release on National Club Competition

Rugby Australia is set to begin its market process for the 2021-2025 media rights in the coming days.

It has been reported in media today that a new national club competition could form part of the ‘whole of Rugby’ package of rights to be presented to broadcasters.

Rugby Australia wishes to confirm that it has investigated the establishment of a national club competition ahead of its media rights negotiations, however the final competition format will not be determined until further consultation with the successful broadcaster, the State and Territory member unions, and the clubs.

The National Rugby Championship (NRC) will continue in its current format in 2020 and continues to be part of the discussion for 2021 and beyond.
  10. Strewthcobber Mark Ella (57)

At any sort of timeframe finding enough money for full time professionalism for (12+12) x 25 = 600 players is probably beyond the realms of imagination at the moment. Hopefully they can cover everyone's expenses at least.
  11. WorkingClassRugger Steve Williams (59)

I doubt we'll see each of the 24 proposed participants become professional. Nor do I expect it to happen across the board in the first 5 year period. A lot will be dependent on what each club does. Whether they seek investment or try to build organically. But the end goal should be to transition to a point where we have a professional 1st Div and a semi-pro 2nd.
    Rebel man likes this.
  12. Rebel man Jimmy Flynn (14)

That’s exactly right and professional also doesn’t have to mean big money either. Start small and work up from there the AFL took 10/12 years to go from semi professional to all the players being full time
    Rugbynutter39 likes this.
  13. barbarian Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Well this is positive. Early days, but Optus are at least interested:

https://www.afr.com/companies/media-and-marketing/optus-enters-rugby-maul-in-bid-to-grow-subscribers-20200213-p540hl

14. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

Given Telstra owns 35% of Foxtel, it's also solid business for Optus to push up the price should Foxtel retain the rights.
    kiap likes this.
  15. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

I'm getting the distinct feeling that Raelene Castle might end up being the best CEO Rugby Australia has had in recent memory.

Let's hope so at least. A lot hinges on what happens in the next few years.
  16. barbarian Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Next few months I reckon. If this plan fails she might not last much longer. It's a big 'if' though.
    RebelYell and RugbyReg like this.
  17. qwerty51 George Gregan (70)

Let's see if she can get us out of SANZAAR for 2021-2025. Then she'll be the best ever.
    RebelYell likes this.
  18. Rugbynutter39 Mark Loane (55)

Hmm
  19. Rugbynutter39 Mark Loane (55)

I don’t understand how a NCC can exclude a WA representative side
  20. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

The burning question: Should I run a poll on which Sydney Premier Club I don't give a flying fuck about in this competition? Or just pick one at random with the aid of a dartboard? :cool:

Ah well, at least we'll have gotten rid of that bullshit NRC that delivered us nothing and cost us everything. Now we can get back to three levels of rugby delivering us nothing but maybe at least shore up the finances.

What am I talking about? Next 5 RWC are ours for the taking now that Club Rugby returns to its rightful place! Yer thanks Poido.

Once the player flow inevitably speeds up toward the clubs in "Division 1" of the NCC, we can put a bullet through everything west of Broadway, except The Castle Hill Woods.

Can I ask - as I did on the front page article - where do the other 6 teams worth of players go from the Sydney Clubs suddenly shorn of their excess baggage? Can they come play for the Renegades?

Bring it on!
    RebelYell, dru, Rugbynutter39 and 2 others like this.