• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
My feelings about/towards clubs are reasonably well known, and hence I won't spend much time talking about it.

But, if this is the route you are taking, you have to be ambitious, you have to be committed and you have to be ruthless. It needs to be seen as a twenty year proposition, and five to eight years down the line, any promoted club needs to be able to stand on its own two feet. It's "club" rugby, not provincial/franchise rugby, so let the potential for individual investment happen. If this is what's wanted by the powers that be, then you go whole hog, with no safety nets.

Yep. This will be what they make of it. So with that in mind from RA's perspective they need to marketing the ever lover shit out of it. To the existing base and potential fans. Actually sell it. From the clubs. This is their chance to prove what they've been declaring for years. Time to back it up. I agree. This is the perfect platform to seek investment separate from central funding. Energise their networks and draw in interest. Present them with ambitious goals of where this competition should be headed.

What I would hope exists at least in some form are plans to develop the pathway further for new teams to work their way up the system. Not a third national division. More primarily state based leagues allowing the likes of Newcastle, the Illawarra and other ambitious region/club (city based) to vie for promotion long term.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
As it reads on Panda's article, Melbourne/Penrith. Can't decide whether to include Australia's second biggest TV market, or an (incorrectly) exiled team.

No question it should be Melbourne. Penrith would be a feel good stroy but truth be told they've never managed to create a competitive landscape out there. The Two Blues with this have a fairly solid opportunity to fill the gap. But they've just got to have the planning and ambition to do so.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Australian says it will replace Shute and QPR - whilst the Courier Mail says it will run after Shute and QPR - both articles attributed to the same author. Go figure!!!

That's.........interesting. A above in my first comment I actually wouldn't mind it replacing both competitions. Nor would I mind if it ran after but I tend to think that's not really that revolutionary of a step which is needed for long term planning.

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
If the National Club Comp is in addition to Shute/QPR, then it does become a big commitment for amateur club players.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
RA Media Release on National Club Competition

Rugby Australia is set to begin its market process for the 2021-2025 media rights in the coming days.

It has been reported in media today that a new national club competition could form part of the ‘whole of Rugby’ package of rights to be presented to broadcasters.

Rugby Australia wishes to confirm that it has investigated the establishment of a national club competition ahead of its media rights negotiations, however the final competition format will not be determined until further consultation with the successful broadcaster, the State and Territory member unions, and the clubs.

The National Rugby Championship (NRC) will continue in its current format in 2020 and continues to be part of the discussion for 2021 and beyond.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
It will certainly make or break a number of the participants. I think the goal should be to transition to professionalism. In which timeframe will depend on a number of factors.

At any sort of timeframe finding enough money for full time professionalism for (12+12) x 25 = 600 players is probably beyond the realms of imagination at the moment. Hopefully they can cover everyone's expenses at least.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
At any sort of timeframe finding enough money for full time professionalism for (12+12) x 25 = 600 players is probably beyond the realms of imagination at the moment. Hopefully they can cover everyone's expenses at least.

I doubt we'll see each of the 24 proposed participants become professional. Nor do I expect it to happen across the board in the first 5 year period. A lot will be dependent on what each club does. Whether they seek investment or try to build organically. But the end goal should be to transition to a point where we have a professional 1st Div and a semi-pro 2nd.

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I doubt we'll see each of the 24 proposed participants become professional. Nor do I expect it to happen across the board in the first 5 year period. A lot will be dependent on what each club does. Whether they seek investment or try to build organically. But the end goal should be to transition to a point where we have a professional 1st Div and a semi-pro 2nd.
That’s exactly right and professional also doesn’t have to mean big money either. Start small and work up from there the AFL took 10/12 years to go from semi professional to all the players being full time

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well this is positive. Early days, but Optus are at least interested:

https://www.afr.com/companies/media-and-marketing/optus-enters-rugby-maul-in-bid-to-grow-subscribers-20200213-p540hl

Optus enters rugby maul in bid to grow subscribers

Optus chief executive Allen Lew says the telecommunications giant will run the rule over Rugby Australia's broadcast rights package to see if it might convince more customers to take up mobile and broadband services.

Rugby Australia is due to send out the tender documents for its rights deal from 2021 to 2025 in the coming days and Mr Lew confirmed Optus' interest in the sport, which has been broadcast on Foxtel for the last 25 years.

"That is something we will obviously look at," Mr Lew told The Australian Financial Review.

"We’ve got some very strong traction already with the soccer base in Australia and we’ll look at this in the light of how does that enhance Optus Sports' position in the minds of consumers and how does that help us achieve our overarching goal, which is to grow our mobile market share in this market."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Given Telstra owns 35% of Foxtel, it's also solid business for Optus to push up the price should Foxtel retain the rights.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Hmm

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
The burning question: Should I run a poll on which Sydney Premier Club I don't give a flying fuck about in this competition? Or just pick one at random with the aid of a dartboard? :cool:

Ah well, at least we'll have gotten rid of that bullshit NRC that delivered us nothing and cost us everything. Now we can get back to three levels of rugby delivering us nothing but maybe at least shore up the finances.

What am I talking about? Next 5 RWC are ours for the taking now that Club Rugby returns to its rightful place! Yer thanks Poido.

Once the player flow inevitably speeds up toward the clubs in "Division 1" of the NCC, we can put a bullet through everything west of Broadway, except The Castle Hill Woods.

Can I ask - as I did on the front page article - where do the other 6 teams worth of players go from the Sydney Clubs suddenly shorn of their excess baggage? Can they come play for the Renegades?

Bring it on!