1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by WorkingClassRugger, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Rebel man Ted Fahey (11)

That’s why they have to get rid of the South African sides
  2. Sir Arthur Higgins Colin Windon (37)

Just a constraint in the algorithm that produces the draw. There has to be an Australian home game every Friday night. Let the computer figure it out
  3. Strewthcobber Mark Ella (57)

Not always that simple. Broncos and Storm have a mortgage on Friday nights at their stadiums. Add in byes, long away trips and derbys and you end up with not many options for a Friday night in some weeks
    wamberal likes this.
  4. wamberal Simon Poidevin (60)

And there are fairly regular complaints about scheduling in the NRL. Impossible to please the viewers, and the competitors, and the broadcaster equally.
  5. The Honey Badger Peter Fenwicke (45)

I thought they were trying to lock in Saturday night. So Rugby audience was tuned in from 3:00 pm Shute Shield, then 5:30 NZ game and then 7:30 Aus game, continuous Rugby.

Where does GRR fit ??

Why we need a NSW & QLD GRR side to help fill broadcast gaps and strategic scheduling to allow Aus U20 and Aus womens and Aus 7,s to fill gaps etc
  6. wamberal Simon Poidevin (60)

Not sure how we schedule Sevens "strategically"? Not live games, anyway.
  7. WorkingClassRugger Andrew Slack (58)

I've actually have been wondering whether RA block of content contains anything relatiing to 7s.
    RebelYell likes this.
  8. Archie Frank Row (1)

https://www.channelnews.com.au/optus-wont-bid-for-rugby-despite-lions-tour-inclusion-claim-insiders/

Optus will not take on Rugby Australia according to sources despite the inclusion of the 2025 British and Irish Lions tour in RA’s next broadcast deal.

Sources at the carrier have told ChannelNews that Rugby is seen as being in decline and “does not make sense” and that what is happening right now is “posturing” by management.

“Rugby Union in Australia is on a death roll attendance is down, few people are watching games yet Rugby Australia wants broadcasters to splash the cash for a code that is seriously struggling” said one insider.
  9. Derpus Mark Ella (57)

'According to sources' mmk
  10. dru Mark Ella (57)

With a determined 1st post.

Yeah, nah. I don't think so.
  11. ForceFan Arch Winning (36)

GRR doesn't need to fit in with anything as it's working to a totally different market/audience - Asia/Pacific.

The hot tip is live streaming for GRR in 2020 which will mean replays and watch it whenever you want.

I reckon the first expansion for GRR will be into Asia and maybe one other East Coast Oz side.
    Would be good to see the 6 teams become 10 teams in 2021.
    The Honey Badger likes this.
  12. Pfitzy Tim Horan (67)

I think those rights are negotiated by WR. Hence why you see some games streamed on their site, then others locked down to the host networks.
  13. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

Hmmmm... where did David Richards copy and paste that from?

https://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/episodes/phantom/11580270
    Ignoto and cyclopath like this.
  14. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

According to Pandaram in the Tele this morning...

He goes on to write that 10 are only interested in the Wallabies tests and possibly one live Super Rugby match on Saturday, with Optus to grab the lot - Wallabies tests, Super Rugby, women's rugby, sevens and club rugby.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/rugby/channel-10-and-optus-the-only-networks-showing-interest-in-rugby-australias-tv-rights/news-story/cbd9a97a511770de556e7c2f7993c138&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21suffix=61-b
  15. Adam84 Desmond Connor (43)

Foxtel playing hardball, they don’t want rugby to set a dangerous precedent for future broadcast negotiations, like the NRL/AFL next year. 100% Foxtel will come to the party and make a bid, even if it’s no more then what they previously offered.
  16. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

I've been on the Optus bandwagon, but my question is.....

Will they include the other Rugby Championship tests in with the package?

I would like to assume they would be included with the Wallabies tests as part of a SANZAAR deal, but obviously that's problematic if they remain on Foxtel.
  17. Mr Wobbly Colin Windon (37)

18. Strewthcobber Mark Ella (57)

all of SANZAR will be included in the deal.

Foxtel may still have other games for rights they've won eg Six nations, Premiership etc
    Wilson, Adam84 and Slim 293 like this.
  19. barbarian Nick Farr-Jones (63)

So Foxtel are publicly walking away, in the hopes that Optus reduce their bid and either it sends RA broke, or Foxtel can come in with a late lowball offer and win the rights?

It's a pretty grubby way to do things.

As much as it may inconvenience me, I am increasingly hoping that Optus wins the rights so I can cancel my Kayo subscription and tell them why.
    Troy, kiap, dru and 4 others like this.
  20. Sully John Eales (66)

It's funny how the telegraph knows the inner workings of what's happening. Are they affiliated with Foxtel in any way?
    kiap, The Honey Badger and Derpus like this.