• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Key difference is as per what the NHRA and many other sports are doing, they are essentially selling content not rights. They do not put the rights to market. Thats starting to become an old school way of doing things. With websites and social media needing the same content as TV it can get messy and you could end up not being able to use your product on your own website as a TV broadcaster owns it. Then there is the double handing to make content for yourself etc. Thus why sports like the NHRA has an FTA via a deal with Fox but all the prodaction, commentary etc is all done by full time employees to NHRA; not Fox.

As for the tech, it is much more evolved than the simple clipping and bookmarking from the 1990's which is a fair distance from the live editing, cataloging and enhanced packaging and production it does. Simply put, what you're referring to can now be automated via AI and machine learning without the infrastructure overheads. One of the key savings achieved from the past traditional TV deal (with ESPN) was going to remote and robotic cameras to minimise labour cost.

Bottom line is while RA has "put the rights out" other sports like the NRL are on planes to talk to companies who can support in-house production and content delivery simply because of the potential for increase in ROI and revenue streams and also to adapt to a shifting broadcast market.

I'm a pretty sure the NRL / AFL have looked and seen that as the big dollar TV deals seem a thing of the past. So locally its Optus in 720p, Kayo / Foxtel (which is essentially Telstra) and not much more. So if you can produce your own and monetise it via subscriptions and selling content to terrestrial broadcasters you could have a very good revenue stream that your control.

Makes sense but how much money would you expect a sport to need to start something like that? I'd imagine with next to no $$$ in the till this is an unrealistic option at this time?

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes, RA and the Super teams have tried various types of these campaigns in the past, and yes, no doubt it costs a bomb to create a doco series like Drive to Survive. Of course, there's a variety of ways to do it - the old Tah Talk podcast (way before podcasts were cool) was one of the main things that drew me in to becoming a more engaged Tahs supporter - hearing some of the stories behind the squad players, that regular review of the game, and finding out more of what happens behind the scenes. Very effective when done well.

I think for RA budget is always going to be a limiting factor, but yes I guess you get creative. Squeeze in a 5min segment before a game or something and then have a more extensive episode online or something. Rotate between a different player each game. The same old interview by the foxsports presenters with the same old players has just had its day.

There were some nice little stories in that #partofmore campaign. Unfortunately I thought it went for the same emotional impact that most bank ads seem to target which is all well and good, but I'm not sure it translated in connecting you with the sport as a fan because they were really these little vignettes that stood alone. Best you could say is it engendered a general vibe of goodwill towards rugby.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Makes sense but how much money would you expect a sport to need to start something like that? I'd imagine with next to no $$$ in the till this is an unrealistic option at this time?

It would certainly need some thinking, innovation, long term view and willingness to invest. It wouldn't be cheap but the ROI could be significant. This is where they need to find a good partner. The Aussie market is virgin territory when it comes to this concept.There a few players looking at the Aussie market to see if its worth investing in.

But I think firstly (and the real issue RA has) is the question about what the product they can sell? I would guess that the SANZAAR product is limiting and and not really suitable. Club stuff is too minor. If they had a good domestic comp like a more serious version of the NRC it could be a good starting point.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
@mst or @redshappy. Any thoughts on Hamish McLennan? He was the 10 CEO when they picked up the big bash.

Don't know him but prima facie exactly the type we need.

Good experience base, been in restructuring situations requiring major change, good media cred and seeming key innovator (or supporter of innovation) in major sports, a change agent vs a prestige-hunter I'd think.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Of course an excellent point.

But RA needs to make a start in these areas or it will be (even further) left behind in code competitive terms.

I'd much rather, just for example, the Australian Rugby Foundation spent some of its funds in experimenting in these sorts of media innovation areas in support of the code here than, as it was, subsidising the likes of Pocock's big salary package.

Also, IMO, as @mst was noting, RA must develop or hire in the capacity to influence and co-design how its media partners from 2021 on actually present the game.

I would absolutely argue that Foxtel's tired, rigid and unimaginative presentational formula led by a bunch of stale, often biassed and repetitive commentators has contributed (as one of many factors) to a process that has driven viewers away from Super and RC games. But to do anything about this, RA has to possess, or get advised by, next-gen designers of more innovative, modern and tech- and data- driven modalities for the visual presentation of live sports. If RA has no motivation or capacity in this area, then the code's visual presentation will default to the lowest skills common denominator of its media partner(s).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Well RA have stated they want an outcome on this by the end of the month. They have been talking to Fox and other players for around six months, if not more.

So I'd be incredibly surprised if a streaming service like DAZN, who literally just signalled their intention to come to Australia, made an 11th hour play at the rugby rights in Australia. I admit I don't understand much of this process, though, so I could well be wrong.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well RA have stated they want an outcome on this by the end of the month. They have been talking to Fox and other players for around six months, if not more.

So I'd be incredibly surprised if a streaming service like DAZN, who literally just signalled their intention to come to Australia, made an 11th hour play at the rugby rights in Australia. I admit I don't understand much of this process, though, so I could well be wrong.

Surely if it looked substantially beneficial RA would change the rules on how they are going to market.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

In part this all depends upon the responses of Foxtel and Optus I would think. If Foxtel really withdraws and Optus bids low and/or not at all (conceivable), then I think we shall see that "RA has extended the bidding out to explore all options".

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

I disagree. I think all the parties have as much opportunity to still put in a bid and depending on how the process is setup I'm sure there would be some ironing of details after anyway.

Just the fact that you are hearing about DAZN now also doesn't mean they haven't been doing their market research in the mean time. BeIN and RugbyPass are also both well involved with Rugby so I doubt it would be a big leap for them.

What I'd be curious about is if any of these streaming companies have approached the FTA stations in Australia to put in a co-offer like BBC/ITV did in the UK for the 6 Nations.

Also speaking of BBC, does ABC actually have any budget left to bid for things like some of the Rugby Union rights?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There’s this nugget from one of Gee Rob’s most recent articles.........

Optus, Ten and Foxtel are considered the main players in the process, as well as Qatari-owned BeIN Sports, and so-called 'streamers' DAZN and RugbyPass.

Speculation in the past three months has centred on whether Foxtel, the current holders, will make a second bid for the five-year package of rights, given they made an offer last November during an exclusive negotiation period.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sp...ralia-board-manoeuvrings-20200304-p546x9.html

It seems that DAZN have been in the country for a little while now recruiting and actively seeking out sports to acquire.........

Reactions: mst

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Jamie Pandaram in the Telegraph says today
Three weeks after putting their broadcast package to the open market, Rugby Australia has not had a single offer, leaving Optus to snap up the broadcast rights in a new low for the game.

Optus is favoured to become the new home of rugby, but the final deal could be disastrous for the code if the telco low-balls Rugby Australia as expected.

It can also be revealed that Optus has begun talks with production companies, who they will need to film and package Super Rugby, club rugby and women’s rugby games, given they do not have the capabilities to do this in-house.

It’s estimated that these production costs will be around $10 million a year, and Optus will fold this into their offer to RA.

Knowing Fox Sports is no longer in the mix, having already had a $40 million-a-year offer rejected by RA late last year, insiders expect Optus to come in with a dramatically lower figure given the lack of options.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Jamie Pandaram in the Telegraph says today
Three weeks after putting their broadcast package to the open market, Rugby Australia has not had a single offer, leaving Optus to snap up the broadcast rights in a new low for the game.

Could be true with some real insight into the situation, but the fact there are no offers yet doesn't say much in of itself. Nothing to be gained by putting in an offer early at this stage, they just need to get their offers in before the closing date/end of month.

formerflanker

Ken Catchpole (46)
Could be true with some real insight into the situation, but the fact there are no offers yet doesn't say much in of itself. Nothing to be gained by putting in an offer early at this stage, they just need to get their offers in before the closing date/end of month.

Jamie addressed that issue too:
The lack of formal interest has forced them to extend their period for offers for another week.
Initially, all contract questions were to cease by next Wednesday, after which prospective buyers would have to table offers. Late on Thursday, it was confirmed this would be pushed back another week.
As you say and JP notes, it's "formal interest" that is being reported on not behind-the-scenes negotiations.​