• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
They’ve only floated the idea of a domestic derby..... nothing locked in yet.

A Sydney Uni player has now tested positive for the virus.

This is one time RA shouldn’t be following AFL and NRL’s “lead.”
I actually disagree and financially I don’t believe they can afford to not follow nrl and afl lead as there are significant financial consequences linked to broadcast deal and requirements provide content. We disagree on our views here so let’s leave it at that

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
We've all got to be pretty big Rugby fans to be here on the forums as often as we are, but surely we've got enough sense to see that what is being done by the AFL and NRL is not reasonable. The NBA, MLB, and NHL are all much bigger than the AFL or NRL, but they've not been able to convince themselves to stay on, and Super Rugby has made the right call in doing the same.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
I understand why the NRL and AFL are continuing. The players are fit and healthy and want to play, so why stop them?

American examples are a bit different as the catalyst for those bans was a player testing positive. That hasn't happened here, and while it's only a matter of time before it does, I can't blame the leagues for playing as much as they can until that point.

God knows we need a bit of a distraction at the moment, and I did enjoy the AFL last night even with it's no-crowd eerieness.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I understand why the NRL and AFL are continuing. The players are fit and healthy and want to play, so why stop them?

American examples are a bit different as the catalyst for those bans was a player testing positive. That hasn't happened here, and while it's only a matter of time before it does, I can't blame the leagues for playing as much as they can until that point.

God knows we need a bit of a distraction at the moment, and I did enjoy the AFL last night even with it's no-crowd eerieness.

If they implement the strict protocols implementing for nrl ie players can’t go out and have to go straight home from training, testing and clearance of persons entering ground etc I think it is reasonable. Of course we go to full lock down that changes things

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If they implement the strict protocols implementing for nrl ie players can’t go out and have to go straight home from training, testing and clearance of persons entering ground etc I think it is reasonable. Of course we go to full lock down that changes things

Is every person each player living with also in isolation?

Are they flying private jets interstate instead of commuting through the airports and on regular flights?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Are they flying private jets interstate instead of commuting through the airports and on regular flights?

Think they actually are. Was listening to the head of Richmond this morning, they're chartering planes with private buses to take them off the tarmac so they don't travel through the airport.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Think they actually are. Was listening to the head of Richmond this morning, they're chartering planes with private buses to take them off the tarmac so they don't travel through the airport.

Clearly not all of them........... Freo players strolling through the terminal with their face masks.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Is every person each player living with also in isolation?

You may recall the nrl idea of playing all teams in one location in nth qld and living there

Yep interesting times - but people are still out going to cafes with appropriate social distancing etc. are these any greater risks with strict protocols - don’t know but my daughter still playing ice hockey...

Rugby no doubt following afl and nrl closely to see what may be possible

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Yes, I see that the AFL is doing that. They're still commercial planes though from the regular terminals. Swans just posted to social media of the players heading through Sydney Airport.

I wonder if the NRL is as well?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You may recall the nrl idea of playing all teams in one location in nth qld and living there

Yep interesting times - but people are still out going to cafes with appropriate social distancing etc. are these any greater risks with strict protocols - don’t know but my daughter still playing ice hockey.

Rugby no doubt following afl and nrl closely to see what may be possible

None of these things are sensible.

There's a massively larger chance of people playing contact sport to transmit it to each other than someone going to a cafe with another person.

It's all about the potential chains of transmission. They are adding a whole lot of unnecessary high risk contacts and then heading back to their families and kids going to school etc. There's huge potential that when they find the first player to have contracted it that it has already led to a significant cluster or clusters of new cases.

This is going to get very bad within a few weeks in Australia like it is in many other places. Playing these games now is going to look absolutely horrendous in a month or so.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
This is going to get very bad within a few weeks in Australia like it is in many other places. Playing these games now is going to look absolutely horrendous in a month or so.

I'm honestly not sure that is the case. There is something to be said for normality and morale and the role that sport plays in our society.

The players themselves are healthy and in isolation, and while it's not totally foolproof, I'm reluctant to condemn their actions too much at this stage.

Time will tell and I may be proven a fool on this. Once a player picks up the illness they will shut it down. But until that point I don't mind them doing what they are doing.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Article behind the NZHurld's partial pay wall suggests that if & when the NZ-only comp starts the six derbies already played will count towards it with the remaining 14 played over seven weeks plus a mid-comp break so that the Clan, who've only played one derby, don't have to play seven straight.

Gov't has now banned most indoor gatherings of 100+ persons leading to speculation that, given a Super Rugby-level game needs 150+ players, support staff, venue staff, broadcasting staff, etc etc, the whole thing could fall foul of that, depending on whether an empty stadium is deemed to be "indoors".

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Article behind the NZHurld's partial pay wall suggests that if & when the NZ-only comp starts the six derbies already played will count towards it with the remaining 14 played over seven weeks plus a mid-comp break so that the Clan, who've only played one derby, don't have to play seven straight.

Gov't has now banned most indoor gatherings of 100+ persons leading to speculation that, given a Super Rugby-level game needs 150+ players, support staff, venue staff, broadcasting staff, etc etc, the whole thing could fall foul of that, depending on whether an empty stadium is deemed to be "indoors".
I doubt it if the model that is allowing the NRL, AFL and racing here to continue are valid examples. There would be more than 100 participants on site but they are spread far enough apart to satisfy the outdoor criteria, hence they could presumably go up to 500. They should do a lucky dip each game to allow 20-30 members to attend and spread them all around the stadium haha.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I'm honestly not sure that is the case. There is something to be said for normality and morale and the role that sport plays in our society.

The players themselves are healthy and in isolation, and while it's not totally foolproof, I'm reluctant to condemn their actions too much at this stage.

Time will tell and I may be proven a fool on this. Once a player picks up the illness they will shut it down. But until that point I don't mind them doing what they are doing.
Would be useful to hear more on how real this isolation is outside game times to get a gauge on how this might compare with other kinds of activity happening right now.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
the NZ-only comp starts the six derbies already played will count towards it with the remaining 14 played over seven weeks plus a mid-comp break so that the Clan, who've only played one derby, don't have to play seven straight.

Embarrassing from NZ Rugby. Little pinbrained village mentality. Do they have any access at all to news from beyond the shire? Why don't they just throw their lot in with the flat earth nutjobs while they're at it.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I doubt it if the model that is allowing the NRL, AFL and racing here to continue are valid examples. There would be more than 100 participants on site but they are spread far enough apart to satisfy the outdoor criteria, hence they could presumably go up to 500. They should do a lucky dip each game to allow 20-30 members to attend and spread them all around the stadium haha.

^ ordinarily I'd agree with that but we do things different here in NuZilnd than you blokes do in Straya so anything's possible.

Note: apparently there were 241 people on-site for last night's NRL match.