• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
That’s always going to be the issue for Stan. Content on the entertainment side of things. At the moment I prefer their offerings to Netflix but as more companies try and launch their own streaming service the more content they will lose

Yes, and services like Google TV make it very easy to browse across streaming services, so Stan and Netflix lose some of the advantage of having all the content in one service, and might end up with nothing left but their original content.

Live sport has been the last, best revenue raiser for broadcast networks for years, maybe it'll be the same for their streaming arms.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Mate I didn't know where to look, I know we got some put up here, but I just googled tv ratings rugby union Australia 2021.
man I just a simple old bugger ,and don't know what else to do:(
check your sources maybe?
72AC8C65-A9EF-4E07-9B61-B2F4D35EACA0.jpeg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have to say I have found Stan pretty disappointing as a streaming service outside of rugby. It really doesn't seem to have anywhere near the quality of content as Netflix for the same price and is much more expensive than Amazon or Disney.

Stan Sport has been great though.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I have to say I have found Stan pretty disappointing as a streaming service outside of rugby. It really doesn't seem to have anywhere near the quality of content as Netflix for the same price and is much more expensive than Amazon or Disney.

Stan is cheaper then Disney, it’s only if you get the add-on packs like 4K/Multi-Screen and StanSports that its much more expensive.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Stan is cheaper then Disney, it’s only if you get the add-on packs like 4K/Multi-Screen and StanSports that its much more expensive.

Sorry, that should have been slightly more expensive than Disney+. For some reason I thought Disney was cheaper. I am paying $10 a month (when paid yearly) for Disney+ (or $12 a month if paid monthly).

You can get Stan for $10 a month but that is not even HD. For multiple screens and HD which is pretty standard at this point it is $14 a month.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

Have to agree as had to get stan to get Stan sport but none of our family use Stan and just left to me who uses Stan sport (we have Netflix, Amazon prime, Disney and fletch)

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

My biggest issue with Stan is the lack of a "continue to watch" from where you were up to on the Sports channel if you stop during a game.

I don't really rate the Tuesday night show either, I know many do but I hate the matey banter of the panel and I would prefer just a hard core stats and tactics show that just tells it as it is. I have tried a few times and only get about 5-10 minutes in at the most.

I would have also liked to see a 20 minute (or more!!) program on each Aussie team to be broadcast each week, it could be as simple as a review of the previous weeks press conference, team announcement and a 5 minute skype chat with the coach as the team is announced.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The issue of studios taking back their content was always going to happen once current deals with Netflix, Amazon etc ran out.

Wouldn’t it be ironic if a third party comes out with an app that bundles it all together for $70 a month, maybe they’ll call it Streamtel.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I don't really rate the Tuesday night show either, I know many do but I hate the matey banter of the panel and I would prefer just a hard core stats and tactics show that just tells it as it is. I have tried a few times and only get about 5-10 minutes in at the most.

Yep. The irony of it is that guys like Turinui and Harrison are good analysts of the game and its tactics, which I'd say was the reason they got hired in the first place. Morgs was great in his previous gig. So, get them onto more of this stuff where they can bring a point of difference, please.

Alternatively - if Stan do want a light banter and raconteur format - they really should be looking at a differently talented crew.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep. The irony of it is that guys like Turinui and Harrison are good analysts of the game and its tactics, which I'd say was the reason they got hired in the first place. Morgs was great in his previous gig. So, get them onto more of this stuff where they can bring a point of difference, please.

Alternatively - if Stan do want a light banter and raconteur format - they really should be looking at a differently talented crew.

Yep I find the banter annoying in the show (as I do on Breakdown) , but I record and watch Rugby Heaven because of how I enjoy Turunui and more Harrison's analysis. I do admit I fast forward a lot, but still rate the programme. Samr as I really enjoy Cheika when he on any shows or match stuff, my missus goes crook becuse she doesn't like his voice, but I find him very interesting.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

It certainly doesn't have Netflix's original content, but generally in terms of films they've generally had a better selection, and better organised too.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
It certainly doesn't have Netflix's original content, but generally in terms of films they've generally had a better selection, and better organised too.

agree. I find the content on Stan far Superior than Netflix, even without sport.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hmm I have not found that on films as prefer Netflix or Amazon prime how organised plus selection.

Stan obviously has its place as has reasonable subscriber base.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
but generally in terms of films they've generally had a better selection, and better organised too.

It might just be me but outside of a few favourites I don't really rewatch movies and I've seen most stuff I'm interested in on the back catalogues.

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sorry, that should have been slightly more expensive than Disney+. For some reason I thought Disney was cheaper. I am paying $10 a month (when paid yearly) for Disney+ (or $12 a month if paid monthly).

You can get Stan for $10 a month but that is not even HD. For multiple screens and HD which is pretty standard at this point it is $14 a month.
Disney literally has nothing on it. It’s the biggest flop out of any platform