• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
An OPTUS sport / 9 Sports (Stan) partnership would make for a interesting sports package! Internet / Mobile carrier with FTA and streaming platforms - and with significant content.

It would make FOXTEL / KAYO somewhat nervous I would guess.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
both stream, vastly different business models at their core business though, it's not unrealistic to see some kind of mutual benefit between those two.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Interesting on Stan rugby show interview with Andrew kellway Ria Kelly ended it with seeing him in super rugby au next year (no mention of TT). I would suggest with recent Fiji funding the signals are super rugby au definitely happening next year and something with nz TBD

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Interesting on Stan rugby show interview with Andrew kellway Ria Kelly ended it with seeing him in super rugby au next year (no mention of TT). I would suggest with recent Fiji funding the signals are super rugby au definitely happening next year and something with nz TBD

I would suggest its easier to just say super rugby au .. as a known state and there was no indication which way or the other.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
both stream, vastly different business models at their core business though, it's not unrealistic to see some kind of mutual benefit between those two.

Can't agree that you buy the rights to broadcast matches and then share them with another broadcaster who you are in competition with is unrealistic.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Can't agree that you buy the rights to broadcast matches and then share them with another broadcaster who you are in competition with is unrealistic.

If you look at it purely from a Optus Sport vs Stan then yes, however both of those are subsidiaries of companies with core businesses which differ significantly and are using the SVOD for different purposes.

Optus use Optus Sport as an incentive as a value add for their core business of mobile subscribers, Nine use Stan as an extension of their Nine media network.

Where they’re complementary is Optus offers a telco network for streaming, and Nine offers a media network for advertising and cross promotion.

It’s would be exactly the same as what Telstra and News Corp have done with Kayo/Binge.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^

Except Telstra are a part owner and existing agreements were put in place before Kayo.

That the Nine / Fairfax / Stan / Radio group would share with Optus their content I honestly can't see happening.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Telstra only gave up the mobile streaming right for the NRL & AFL at start of this year and now divert everyone to the Kayo instead with a discount.

^^^^

Except Telstra are a part owner and existing agreements were put in place before Kayo.

That the Nine / Fairfax / Stan / Radio group would share with Optus their content I honestly can't see happening.

A merger, or a payment fee is exactly how it would occur. The increasingly fractured market that exists now can’t continue, a rationalisation of sports broadcasters will need to occur. And frankly Optus have the most to lose, they’ve struggled to secure any new sports whilst Stan, Kayo and Seven have been locking away new content.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I would suggest its easier to just say super rugby au .. as a known state and there was no indication which way or the other.
Or more that Stan sees super rugby Au next year as a certainty and what may follow it less so...

Logically I just can’t see super rugby Au not happening next year and highly probable Fiji part of it (knowing how govt works almost certain) which is ‘super’ exciting for super rugby au competition to add additional interest and intrigue plus 3 matches to watch each weekend makes me ‘super’ excited...

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I think your right, I just don't see some presenter saying super rugby au as a sign... It's just not, sure probably going to happen but then I could say Dave Rennie saying a TT round robin is a sign.. we just don't know and some throw away line on a broadcast means nothing

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know it was NZ tv, but I thought Toutai Kefu was quite brave talking about nepotism, corruption etc on Breakdown last night. Kirwan asked him about the problems of WR (World Rugby) development grants seemingly not making it to players. I thought perhaps he may straight bat it away, but he didn't.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
I know it was NZ tv, but I thought Toutai Kefu was quite brave talking about nepotism, corruption etc on Breakdown last night. Kirwan asked him about the problems of WR (World Rugby) development grants seemingly not making it to players. I thought perhaps he may straight bat it away, but he didn't.

Interesting - think I'll go find that on YouTube. The last ep of The Breakdown listed in Stan is 28 June?

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Interesting - think I'll go find that on YouTube. The last ep of The Breakdown listed in Stan is 28 June?

Not sure when it will be on youtube mate, I used to find it Wednesday morning I think when I lived in Oz, but haven't looked lately, as tend to watch it live. He only mentions nepotism etc briefly, but pretty brave I thought.
I remember hearing Mike Umaga last year saying same thing, and more or less why he wouldn't recommend his son playing for Samoa, and his son played frist test for Englnad on weekend.

hifflepiff

Charlie Fox (21)
is that good? i have no idea.

For a midweek game I'd say it's pretty bloody good. It was the largest program not on a main network and outrated Wimbledon by nearly x3

"The rugby pushed Wimbledon to 9Go! where it had 118,000 between the multichannel and the primary channel, while Footy Classified had 69,000."

Would love to see the total numbers with Stan included.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Once Metro and Stan figures are added it should be around 550k which is just short of the Bledisloe Cup matches last year but much more then the Argentine test matches.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
01D8797E-AAA2-4544-BE34-DE038AB68586.jpeg