• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Good news that there'll be more FTA exposure, however minimal. It'll be interesting to see what ten pick, I assume it'll just be whichever local derby looks biggest at the start of the round but I think there'd be some value in picking Australian team in SA games given they're less often watched live, or possibly deciding at the end of the round and picking the 'game of the round'.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
Hoping the delay isn't the same as C7 used to have i.e. game starting 2 hours after full-time resulting in a midnight kick-off. Hoping the delay will be a kick-off at 8:30 for a 7:30 game.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I had assumed the "played on replay" in the article meant it would be after the fact, but a short delay for a near live broadcast would be great.

T

TOCC

It's been released previously that the game would be on delay on Sunday morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I guess it's better than nothing, but by then everyone with an interest will know the result, so I can't see it making much of an impact.

Given the ball is in play for only 35 minutes or so of a game, I think it could be cool if they condensed their replay of a game into a significantly shorter time frame (obviously a bit longer than the ball in play time - including anything important like TMO adjudications, yellow cards etc). Then maybe they could even show a couple of games.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Hopefully they end up replaying the Saturday night fixtures on Sunday morning on FTA.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I guess it's better than nothing, but by then everyone with an interest will know the result, so I can't see it making much of an impact.

Everyone with an interest will want to watch, otherwise they are not very interested, assuming that they did not watch the original match on Foxtel. We used to get Shute Shield replays, we watched them just to see some club rugby, even though we knew the score.

We also watch NH Tests the next morning these days - it's not that hard to avoid looking at the results (or hearing the scores on the radio) if you want to enjoy a delayed telecast.

Interested supporters will find a way to enjoy ANY coverage. And there will be casual viewers who are interested enough to watch a replay.

Beggars cannot be choosers, some FTA is infinitely better than non.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
One good thing about rugby union in Australia is that it's pretty easy to avoid hearing the result. ;)

I still use it as an excuse to watch games on Sunday morning before doing anything else just in case the result gets spoiled for me.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well you guys might find it easy to avoid the result - or still watch it if you know the result. But I think a lot of people will see the result on social media, or somewhere on the internet and then have no interest in watching a full replay.

I guess we'll find out when we see how it rates. I hope to be pleasantly surprised.

T

TOCC

Sunday morning would be good for the younger fans especially those in households without Foxtel... I think it will serve a purpose, but it's not going to be creating any ratings records

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Hopefully it'll be a foot in the door that'll end up seeing some interest in NRC coverage. As new content, largely unsold at this point, it represents the best chance for expansion into FTA.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Hopefully it'll be a foot in the door that'll end up seeing some interest in NRC coverage. As new content, largely unsold at this point, it represents the best chance for expansion into FTA.

I actually think the NRC would be a good fit for the likes of Ten. They seem to do a good job of tournament like Leagues if the BBL is any guide.

Parse

Bill Watson (15)
I think you'll find if it pans out and creates more interest, that both 10 and Foxtel will work something else out to benefit the both of them. Fox and Ten are working closely on a number of different sports these days.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think you'll find if it pans out and creates more interest, that both 10 and Foxtel will work something else out to benefit the both of them. Fox and Ten are working closely on a number of different sports these days.

Well, why not have each of them broadcast one game a week each and provide their broadcast of their respective games for later consumption to the other. Or they could simulcast. That way we get two games a week an for the likes of Ten it would be quite low cost. A game on Thursday night from Fox Sports and a Saturday game on Ten.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Well, why not have each of them broadcast one game a week each and provide their broadcast of their respective games for later consumption to the other. Or they could simulcast. That way we get two games a week an for the likes of Ten it would be quite low cost. A game on Thursday night from Fox Sports and a Saturday game on Ten.

Not sure exactly what you are suggesting, but while Fox have the rights to live coverage of the whole of Super rugby, I can't see them gifting one game per week to 10 or any other FTA (if that's what you're suggesting). And nor should they. Replays after the game has finished or the next day would be a good outcome.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The argument in favour of Fox Sports allowing TEN to show a live match is that it is one way to expand the possible viewership for the code as a whole.

Plus, it appears to be only a matter of time before Uncle Rupe takes over TEN.

T

TOCC

Fox have already tried this with the A-League and SBS with no significant return seen... Given Super Rugby has even less games in the Australian friendly time zone it's even less likely to occur.

Fox taking over Ten is another issue altogether, it might change things in the future but not until the takeover is finalised.