• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Exclusive access to the peanut gallery is only worth peanuts.

The other sports available on your TV … y'know, the successful ones … how much of an exclusivity bonus would they be raking in?

It must be huuuge.

They still pay $millions to broadcast Super Rugby mate, whether you think thats peanuts is up to you.

And yes.. Exlusitivity does impact on broadcast rights for pay tv providers.
"Rugby has only ever been on Fox, Super Rugby was invented by Fox, it has always been on Fox," Delany said. “If they want to put some on free-to-air, that’s fine, but it changes the whole value equation for us."

Cricket Australia recent broadcast rights went for a premium because Foxtel held the exclusive rights of some competitions like the Big Bash League.
“In this deal we have cricket digital rights exclusively. This is very important for Foxtel. Foxtel is a streaming company – the IQ streams and we're putting things on demand and being able to bring the world's best content to one place is certainly part of our vision for Foxtel and this cricket deal is one of many initiatives we will have going forward.”

What is it your arguing, if Foxtel held no value in the exclusive rights then why do you think they refuse to let it go on FTA??

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
The issue with Super Rugby is that it's super expensive to run. Have a look at the RA Fin report. I think it's like 30m a year out of RA alone. How much would someone pay for the standalone Super Rugby rights? Presumably considerably less than that.

However Foxtel does it's management accounting, I highly doubt that Super Rugby is seen to be trading at negative margin. If it was, they genuinely wouldn't be interested, as opposed to the transparent posturing we are seeing at the moment.

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
FTA (below Tests) is a pipe dream. Only way it gets there is by RA paying for it to be there, which really does not seem a viable long-term plan. Networks don't want it.

I can see why they don't want Super Rugby. But is there a structure for a rugby comp below test, that while maybe not as lucrative at first, could eventually become something the networks will want, simply because more people want to watch it because it's more accessible and they actually enjoy it?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
They still pay $millions to broadcast Super Rugby mate, whether you think thats peanuts is up to you.
The $20m is not peanuts.

But it's not for Supe either. The Super Rugby component is a minor share, and becoming more and more minor as we speak. Super Rugby also fails to generate more revenue than it costs to run. It loses money as a stand alone, brother.

I conceded a few posts ago that the denial stage about Super being a desirable product no more was over. Maybe I let that one go too early.

And yes.. Exlusitivity does impact on broadcast rights for pay tv providers.

Cricket Australia recent broadcast rights went for a premium because Foxtel held the exclusive rights of some competitions like the Big Bash League.
What? They farmed it out.

BBL is still on FTA television. Are you arguing for my side or against it?

What is it your arguing, if Foxtel held no value in the exclusive rights then why do you think they refuse to let it go on FTA??
I'm saying the Super rights are low value, not no value.

It's still filler for broadcast channels and pads the content for rugby subscribers. But there's been a continuing decline in Super Rugby ratings and relevance for well over a decade.

Foxtel's valuation of Rugby Australia's offering is evidently not high enough to worry about letting whole shebang go.

They've taken their ball and gone home.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
My mistakes, Foxtel have the exclusive rights to the international T20’s and ODI not BBL. hence the premium

So, by your logic then it should cost RA very little to negotiate one or two super rugby matches a week be played live on FTA then?, if exclusive rights for the competition is worth peanuts it should be easy?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Sort of related: I saw on Linkedin today that Sean Maloney has been picked up by WR (World Rugby) as a consultant/commentator. That's a fantastic result, because he's a terrific caller of the game and his passion for the sport comes out in his commentary. Hopefully some of his work can make its way to our screens as well.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sort of related: I saw on Linkedin today that Sean Maloney has been picked up by WR (World Rugby) as a consultant/commentator. That's a fantastic result, because he's a terrific caller of the game and his passion for the sport comes out in his commentary. Hopefully some of his work can make its way to our screens as well.

He's been a regular commentator for the 7s circuit for a few years now. Though that role may expand seeing as they seem to be taking the first steps into broadcasting (they produced all of the content in Japan).

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I'll read between the lines for you on this one.

Is GPS Schoolboy Rugby a product that the ARU 'contractually' own and can sell to Foxtel or anyone else?

Kenny, its all in the original article;

“We would be open to discuss any such proposal with RA at the appropriate time,” Fullagar said. “Any such proposal would require agreement by all GPS member schools.” Peter Fullagar of Nudgee College, the GPS chairman.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/366b75c243f2894a32339572966f5693

sunnyboys

Bob Loudon (25)
some observations - fox must be plenty worried about Optus considering they have mobilised a bunch of News Ltd assets (including ex Fox CEO Hartigan today) against RA. They probably thought they could get away with cutting the numbers and still securing the sport. well done to RA for finding another player to bring some competition to the bidding.

With NZ and SA deals locked in dont expect any change. This is a terrible outcome for oz rugby. But it is also inevitable - we cant afford to go it alone and we have zero sway with NZ and SA over changes. SANZAAR competitions and broadcast money are the life support of Australian rugby. It keeps it technically alive - but its not a fully functioning sport.

as noted by Gregor Paul in NZ Herald, it might take our collapse before real change comes. NZ have just upped its broadcast income - why would it change??

dru

Tim Horan (67)
some observations - fox must be plenty worried about Optus considering they have mobilised a bunch of News Ltd assets (including ex Fox CEO Hartigan today) against RA. They probably thought they could get away with cutting the numbers and still securing the sport. well done to RA for finding another player to bring some competition to the bidding.

RA had to do the obvious here. I'm not sure that they are due credits, but they would have deserved disapprobation had they not taken the actions they have.

With NZ and SA deals locked in dont expect any change. This is a terrible outcome for oz rugby. But it is also inevitable - we cant afford to go it alone and we have zero sway with NZ and SA over changes. SANZAAR competitions and broadcast money are the life support of Australian rugby. It keeps it technically alive - but its not a fully functioning sport.

as noted by Gregor Paul in NZ Herald, it might take our collapse before real change comes. NZ have just upped its broadcast income - why would it change??

IT is getting very much closer to us not being able to afford to do anything other than go it alone when we have zero sway as you say.

Kenny Powers

Ron Walden (29)
Kenny, its all in the original article;

“We would be open to discuss any such proposal with RA at the appropriate time,” Fullagar said. “Any such proposal would require agreement by all GPS member schools.” Peter Fullagar of Nudgee College, the GPS chairman.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...y/news-story/366b75c243f2894a32339572966f5693

Behind a paywall so cannot read the full article but from the quote you have provide from the gentleman from Nudgee College I get the impression that the first thing he heard about this plan was from the journalist who contacted him for comment.

Management via press release without speaking to those involved first is poor form it kind of gets people offside and makes achieving your goal difficult.

Unfortunately for the game of rugby this inexplicably poor management approach was on display only a few months later.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
IT is getting very much closer to us not being able to afford to do anything other than go it alone when we have zero sway as you say.

All four Super Rugby teams are instantly insolvent if the Super Rugby broadcast revenue disappears and isn't replaced by at least a very close amount in a new broadcast deal.

I don't think there's really a good option. We're pretty dependant on all parties agreeing that a dramatic change needs to happen and formulating what that is.

hoggy

Trevor Allan (34)

"It keeps it technically alive - but its not a fully functioning sport." I like that quote, it sort of sums up the whole thing.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
The outbursts from fox alumni and associates stink of desperation to me
If Foxtel is so confident in its negotiating position and that rugby isn't worth any money - break off the negs and ditch the sport.

But the reality of course is that rugby is a loss leader to get people to sign up to foxtel, always has been. Without key content like Rugby foxtel loses a lot of subscribers - EPL comes to mind.

They're also feeling the heat from an adverse financial position and it's making them shit the bed

dru

Tim Horan (67)
All four Super Rugby teams are instantly insolvent if the Super Rugby broadcast revenue disappears and isn't replaced by at least a very close amount in a new broadcast deal.

I don't think there's really a good option. We're pretty dependant on all parties agreeing that a dramatic change needs to happen and formulating what that is.

Catch 22. For any chance at sustainable income we need either:
a) a more supportive arrangement agreed by Super partners - no forthcoming, in fact going completely the opposite direction; or
b) a comp better suited to Australian broadcast ie:
i A national footprint
ii regular games in prime time slots
iii sufficient home games to create a fan base

None of this is happening via Super. So continue on a down-Clyne aggressively assisted by our Super "partners" or cut the link and start again.

NZ think they hold all the cards, this is true because there is no logical B Plan being developed. Where does NZ stand with SA involvement increasingly under discussion and Aus removes itself? NZ has currently no interest in evolving a Super schedule that satisfies Australia.

In my mind we have no choice but to cut the knot. Do it on our terms or through being shunted into a corner by our partners to the point that the sport fails.

I know which I would choose.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The outbursts from fox alumni and associates stink of desperation to me
If Foxtel is so confident in its negotiating position and that rugby isn't worth any money - break off the negs and ditch the sport.

But the reality of course is that rugby is a loss leader to get people to sign up to foxtel, always has been. Without key content like Rugby foxtel loses a lot of subscribers - EPL comes to mind.

I find it very odd indeed that somehow Foxtel seem to have the higher ground here. Unless I've missed something, they are in a very similar position to RA - struggling for viability with a product that peaked in the late 90s.