• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Stan is garbage beside the sport, they have barely any decent tv shows or movies. Same could be said about all SVOD platforms now though, increased number of platforms has diluted the quality of the product available to each one.
They had a stage there a few months back where everything I was watching was on Stan. They have gone back to only one show at the moment over Rugby I watch, there being Power.

But there are much worse streaming services in OZ out there (paramount), and I wouldn't say Amazon/Apple TV is much better than Stan, to be honest.

EDIT:- Probably should have processed that you said they were all shit !!

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
They had a stage there a few months back where everything I was watching was on Stan. They have gone back to only one show at the moment over Rugby I watch, there being Power.

But there are much worse streaming services in OZ out there (paramount), and I wouldn't say Amazon/Apple TV is much better than Stan, to be honest.

This. Awesome show. Have started watching Power Book II - Ghost; also awesome.
Will watch Kanan and Force soon enough.

LeCheese

Peter Johnson (47)
I watch stuff on Prime reasonably regularly, but really hate the usability of their UI. Always seems clunky, particularly their playback controls. I've found their VOD content a little bit unstable too, but can't comment on their live content.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I watch stuff on Prime reasonably regularly, but really hate the usability of their UI. Always seems clunky, particularly their playback controls. I've found their VOD content a little bit unstable too, but can't comment on their live content.

Agreed... it's not the best platform.

And Prime has a LOT of content... a lot of just absolute junk, and searching through the library is frustrating.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
How many people here have Amazon Prime?

I do, as it’s a lifesaver if you need kids stuff. Not bad shows either and their push into sports continues with the potential they may buy the failed Bally Sports in the US which broadcast 40 sides of various sports in their local markets.

They’re already heavily invested in Cricket and I wonder if it’s an option for Rugby?

I like Stan and would be happy for them to stay but just thinking of comparable services that may be able to bid as well.
I do, some great original content and good deals if you buy it yearly during the prime day sales, but honestly I pay for it for the free delivery from Amazon and probably get my money back and then some as a result. Would not be upset if rugby went there, assuming the money is good.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I have Prime as well as Stan. I have been entirely happy with the rugby coverage on Stan, but I don't think there's much difference between Prime and Stan. Maybe I am swayed a bit by it being better the devil you know, so no issues if rugby stays on Stan.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Stan Sport is a fairly mature platform now, their content is quite doesn’t really have any of the technical issues that the A-League are still enduring with Paramount.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Stan is garbage beside the sport, they have barely any decent tv shows or movies. Same could be said about all SVOD platforms now though, increased number of platforms has diluted the quality of the product available to each one.

i actually prefer Stan than Netflix. Find more quality tv and movies for sure.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

They're currently the only two profitable streaming services in Australia... the rest are bleeding money.

I have ditched Stan for a couple of months though just because I've watched everything on there, and because we have almost every other streaming service on the go and all the movie selections are divided up on there.

But on its own, Stan definitely has one of the stronger movie libraries.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
End of the day they're all tolerable for a period, it's just how long and whether you would go back, i still think we're on a path to a great consolidation/rationalisation of the SVOD industry pretty soon though.

Sport is the one point of difference that local SVODs like Stan/Kayo have over the international heavyweights Disney/Amazon/Netflix. When those providers eventually dip their toes into local sport and snap up a big code, the market will be turned upside down domestically.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Content production is hard and expensive. Sport is gold for them.

Im sure a company like Amazon also have an eye on sports gambling and having their own hand in it if they don’t already. ESPN has their own now.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
End of the day they're all tolerable for a period, it's just how long and whether you would go back, i still think we're on a path to a great consolidation/rationalisation of the SVOD industry pretty soon though.

Sport is the one point of difference that local SVODs like Stan/Kayo have over the international heavyweights Disney/Amazon/Netflix. When those providers eventually dip their toes into local sport and snap up a big code, the market will be turned upside down domestically.
7 and 9 will fight hard to retain the big local sports, they are critical assets for the broadcast networks. And also for Fox/Kayo. So it will need to be a big jump for the overseas streamers - and money is not quite as easily available for them now. But you'd think it would have to happen at some stage. Possibly after the Las Vegas NRL matches turn that code into a competitor for the NFL...

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I went to ditch Stan (temporarily) at the end of the season until my better half had a right hissy fit. I've no idea what she is watching but I'm sure as hell not cutting the service. :oops:

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I first got Amazon about 3 years ago and was surprised by the amount of good original content on there. Some really good pretty easy watch 'blokey' shows like Goliath, Bosch and The Boys, more recently I've also enjoyed Reacher.

Their original stuff doesn't seem as good currently though, but as many have mentioned, the Prime shipping is pretty much a game changer for anyone who shops online so I've kept the platform. Even with the recent price hike to I think $80 a year it's still good value.