• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Salvi is returning - this from Rugby, rugby

The Brumbies' life after George Smith appears secure following the re-signing of openside flank Julian Salvi for two seasons from 2011.

Salvi's impending return follows the news this week that young gun Michael Hooper, who will start for the Brumbies against the Chiefs this Friday, has also signed until the end of 2012.

The 24-year-old, who originally joined the Brumbies direct from Marist College in 2004, will return to the ACT having played a season with Bath in the English Premiership.

He has played 16 premiership matches and six Heineken Cup games for Bath and has been one of the club's outstanding players, packing down alongside controversial Springbok Luke Watson.

Prior to his departure, Salvi played 49 Super 14 matches for the Brumbies across the back row, having made his debut against the Chiefs in 2005. He has also represented Australia A, and captained the Australian Under-21 and Schools sides.

Salvi says he's looking forward to returning to Canberra and to the Brumbies.

"I'm very excited about returning to the Brumbies and I am looking forward to the challenges of Super 15 Rugby," he said.

"It will be great to play my 50th Super Rugby game with the Brumbies.

"Playing with Bath has been fantastic; it's been a great experience. It's made me a better player, and further developed my leadership and tactical skills. I'm keen to use those skills with the Brumbies.

"I know the Brumbies' program back-to-front and that will help me to put myself in a strong position for Wallaby selection next year.

"Obviously from a player's perspective it will be different not having George there. He's been a great mentor to me. He is one of the Brumbies greatest players. And, the chance to earn that ‘7' jersey is a very exciting opportunity.

"My wife, my son and my family are still in Canberra. I am looking forward to re engaging with the community and being actively involved in the Brumbies development and promotional activities."

Head coach Andy Friend says Salvi will play a key role in the future of the Brumbies.

"It's never an easy task replacing a player like George Smith but this is a very good start," he said.

"We're all aware of what a quality player Jules is. He's pushed George for a number of years at the Brumbies, he's done his apprenticeship here, he's returning as one of the most respected players in the UK and next year will be his turn to really make his mark.

"He's certainly lived up to his potential during his time in the premiership and he's a very tough and tenacious competitor. While he does give us versatility right across the back row, I've got no doubt he's looking to make that No.7 jersey his own and it's nice to be able to bring a Canberra boy home to the Brumbies to have that opportunity."

Brumbies Rugby CEO Andrew Fagan says he's pleased to see Salvi returning home.

"It's fantastic to see a Canberra born-and-bred player return to his rightful place at the Brumbies," he said. "There was significant interest in Julian both here and abroad, which is a testament to the quality of player he is.

"Now that he is back, it's nice to see Jules role at the Brumbies has now gone full cycle in that previously Julian had George as a mentor and now he can provide some guidance for Michael through the early part of what is shaping as a very promising career."

J

Jeffrey Calder

Excellent news, topped only by the return of the Hux for Friday.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
very good move. brings another talented bloke home and gives guys like colby finger and hooper a chance to develop on a more conservative track (next year anyways).

what happens if one or both of them shows they're up to it this year though? then it seems like another case of player logjam....

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Newb said:
very good move. brings another talented bloke home and gives guys like colby finger and hooper a chance to develop on a more conservative track (next year anyways).

what happens if one or both of them shows they're up to it this year though? then it seems like another case of player logjam....

Keep in mind the super15 is a lot longer. more rotation and players getting hurt, etc.

aussie1st

Alfred Walker (16)
Will give us much needed experience in an important position. He might be stuck behind Hooper if he goes well for the rest of the season which would suck big time for him.

W

weetam

This is such a shame. The highlight of the start of the season was to see Julian take apart other teams. He was an absolute pleasure to watch. Once he got to grips with the Guiness Premiership refs and the penalty count reduced he was a match winner. His combination with Luke Watson in the back row was something else to see.
I met him at the players evening at the beginning of the season and what a really genuine person.
There is talk that he will stay at Bath until December and then go back for the Super 12 season which would be great.
Good luck Julian. Thanks for all you did, you were a pleasure to watch. You made Lipman look an amateur.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
weetam said:
Once he got to grips with the Guiness Premiership refs and the penalty count reduced he was a match winner. His combination with Luke Watson in the back row was something else to see.

Exactly right but he was a a bit of a penalty magnet at first, wasn't he? It's great to hear that he's returning. He was one of the offshore players we hoped would come back, either for the Rebels or a team than loses players to them.

Since Hooper is contracted now, maybe Colby will move on, and maybe not even to the new team. When an additional team joins a comp its a bit like Rubiks Cube. One move causes changes all over the joint.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Rookie Fainga'a signs on with the CA Brumbies

The CA Brumbies have continued to bolster their back row ranks with Colby Fainga'a signing with the CA Brumbies on a one-year rookie contract.

Fainga'a, 18, made his Investec Bank Super 14 debut this season against the Chiefs, starting that match and the following one against the Cheetahs off the bench.

The younger brother of former CA Brumbies and current Reds twins, Saia and Anthony, represented the Australian Schools side in 2008, and was a consistent performer for the CA Brumbies on last year’s French Tour as well as playing a key role for the Tuggeranong Vikings in their 2009 Tooheys New John I Dent Cup premiership. He joined the Brumbies Academy in 2008 having been a long-term member of the Australian Rugby Union’s National Talent Squad.

The former St Edmund’s College student says signing with the CA Brumbies is the realisation of a lifelong rugby goal.

“It’s really nice to be able to stay at home at the Brumbies,” he said. “There was some interest from elsewhere but I really only wanted to stay at the Brumbies. The Brumbies program is known as the best in the world and I feel like everything’s starting to come together so I wanted to stay to keep developing my game.

“I’m really looking forward to completing this season well, getting a good pre-season under my belt and put myself in a position to push for selection week in, week out next year.

“It’s been great playing Super 14 rugby this year; it’s been something I’ve wanted to do since I was young and now that I’m there, I want to do everything I can to stay at this level.”

Head Coach Andy Friend says Fainga'a represents the new generation of CA Brumbies.

“We’re very fortunate to have three quality young openside flankers in Julian Salvi, Michael Hooper and now Colby Fainga'a in the squad next season,” he said.

“Colby’s been impressive in his two matches for us this year, which follows on from a very strong showing with the Brumby Runners. His Super 14 debut was fast-tracked by the injury to George Smith but it hasn’t fazed him in the slightest and he’s given us a noticeable impact off the bench.

“He’s a strong player with a very high work rate and he packs a lot of power into his defence. He comes from an impressive footballing family and he’s shown that he’s certainly capable of growing into an outstanding player at this level.”

Colby Fainga'a
Position: Flanker
Physical: 1.83m, 95kg
Investec Bank Super 14 Caps: 2
Investec Bank Super 14 Points: 0
Investec Bank Super 14 Debut: 2010 v Chiefs, Canberra

Just a one year contract is a little odd. Anyway, good for them and him. I really like the look of him. Seems a little more agressive, or at least harder with the ball, than Hooper.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Rebels must of passed up on him. Then again maybe he loves the Canberra nightlife.

Strangely enough I don't see Salvi as experienced enough to tutor Hooper and Fainga'a into greatness. With Smith gone the advantages of these blokes being at the Brums are diminished.

T

TOCC

i wouldnt underestimate what Salvi has to offer either, he is a pretty experienced player these days

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Radio reports this morning that Owen Finegan and Bill Young are both leaving the Brumbies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Funny, the forwards have been the strength all season, effective pack and good scrum; and they are the guys leaving.

The Brumbies need some serious backs recruitment for the back three. At the moment the only guy on their roster who could score from their own half is AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

McCabe has played well, but he is a crash baller who collects tacklers and doesn't go around them,

Franky is a stepper who doesn't do much other than get you 15m.

Maybe they should look at Nandalo who is off contract or someone else that can really cause grief

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
louie said:
Radio reports this morning that Owen Finegan and Bill Young are both leaving the Brumbies.

there was a rumor about some behind the scenes turmoil wasn't there? is this part of it?

Tiger

Alfred Walker (16)
Newb said:
louie said:

there was a rumor about some behind the scenes turmoil wasn't there? is this part of it?

The explanation for this in The Australian was that they were both leaving for "personal reasons" (http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...retaining-talent/story-e6frg7mf-1225867449608).

Seems to be a bit of a coincidence for both of them to leave for personal reasons....

Greg Growden had this to say in the Fairfax media:

Matfield's involvement at the Waratahs is still high on the agenda. Former Springboks coach Jake White was also mentioned as a possible Waratahs director of coaching, but that idea has cooled somewhat. Another local coach who would be feeling extremely jittery is Brumbies coach Andy Friend, who failed to get the team tagged ''the Real Madrid of Australian rugby'' into the finals. The Brumbies were a team beset with internal problems for most of the season, which included several serious personnel clashes, and how they have continually missed out on the finals, despite an abundance of talent, has become an appreciable concern.

However, the word out of Canberra is that Friend is expected to survive, but several of those around him will disappear. Nonetheless, finishing sixth marks their season as a major disappointment.

As embarrassing is that, since they won the title in 2004, the Brumbies have not been sighted in the finals. This bare fact stresses the point that it is time to get rid of some of the dead weeds down there, and revitalise the culture.

Interesting little sledges on the same day Young and Finegan leave...

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
I wish scrum coach Bill Young and forwards coach Owen Finegan all the best... the forwards were strong this year.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
do you reckon the Brumbies are losing their 'aura'? What I mean is that were always a club where players wanted to go and play. The culture was first rate, extremely positive and they played clever footy, usually succesfully. Players were drawn there.

Do you reckon that is changing? The Friend coach team has looked aimless at times this year. There are changes in the coaching team. The big players aren't perorming and two of their legends are leaving this year. And there's talk of behind the scenes dramas.

I reckon they always had a leg up on the other states as they seemed this fantastic family to be apart of. I am not so convinced anymore.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I do Noddy but I also think that they have had trouble evolving with the way the game is played. That very structured style of rugby has seen its day and the game is changing. It was the bench mark in Australia for some time but it is not any more. I think Friend has tried to change the style to more of a Robbie Deans style and it has taken them out of their niche some what. They all look confused to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.