• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latts1992

Herbert Moran (7)
“The player accepted my indication of sanction of 2 weeks, and is therefore suspended from all forms of rugby up to and including Sunday, 24 April 2016. The player is free to resume playing on 25 April 2016.”

It seems to me that they're commencing this suspension from the coming weekend, and therefore not including club matches.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You really hate this don't you? :D

Almost as much as a judicial hearing being postponed so that the guy in the dock can attend a get-together with ~44 other guys who may or may not be his teammates come June. Both just further undermine such credibility as the judiciary has (& don't get me started on ref's calling players by their first name & copping all manner of bullshit from them vs telling them to "just go away & STFU". It's getting almost Loig-like in that regard).

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies in a spot of bother at 7 with Butler still injured.

Wells has had 10 mins and maybe Smiler at a stretch could play there

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
“The player accepted my indication of sanction of 2 weeks, and is therefore suspended from all forms of rugby up to and including Sunday, 24 April 2016. The player is free to resume playing on 25 April 2016.”

It seems to me that they're commencing this suspension from the coming weekend, and therefore not including club matches.

No, you've just misquoted the judgement which actually says:

Pocock has been given a three week suspension for the incident and is suspended up to and including Sunday 24th April. Due to the fact the Brumbies have a scheduled bye in Round 7, Pocock will miss Round 8 and Round 9 of Super Rugby, in effect making it a two-match sanction.

"The player accepted my indication of sanction and is therefore suspended from all forms of rugby up to and including Sunday, 24 April 2016. The player is free to resume playing on 25 April 2016.”

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Almost as much as a judicial hearing being postponed so that the guy in the dock can attend a get-together with ~44 other guys who may or may not be his teammates come June. Both just further undermine such credibility as the judiciary has (& don't get me started on ref's calling players by their first name & copping all manner of bullshit from them vs telling them to "just go away & STFU". It's getting almost Loig-like in that regard).

We all misjudged. I am hoping it was he who wanted to do the right thing and not hide - thus the plead of guilty.
Capture Pocock.JPG

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Brumbies in a spot of bother at 7 with Butler still injured.

Wells has had 10 mins and maybe Smiler at a stretch could play there

I hope we get to see what Wells is about and its a good rehearsal for 2017. Smiler is also an interesting prospect and maybe well suited to his style and temperament.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Wells to get time but Brumbies will need to blood another loosie from the locks, not sure who is most suitable? Any ideas...
Noted Dargeville played flacker for a while this week...

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I'm Getting pissed off at all The kiwi's saying pocock put leitch in a guillotine choke and got away with it. Anyone that knows anything about bjj knows that wasn't a guillotine choke at all. No one is going to sleep in that hold. Hence why leitch didn't go to sleep

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No, you've just misquoted the judgement which actually says:

This is precisely the type of sanction I've suggested should be used when the earlier farces allowing Latu and Faagase to avoid missing any Super Rugby games were put in place. The JO must take the bye week into consideration and nominate a date that the player can resume after serving what the JO considers to be the appropriate penalty.

In effect, Poey has been suspended for two Super Rugby games while each of the others escaped effective sanction altogether.

Now it just needs the JOs to all act consistently.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Pretty sure in Latu's case the Waratahs had to adequately demonstrate that he would have played in the bye week. It's much easier to argue that for a bench player as apposed to one of the most influential test players of last year. Has Pocock ever played club rugby since he became a Wallaby?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Brumbies could have argued the club rugby option but they didn't.

Based on past evidence it would probably have been successful.

This doesn't make those previous decisions any less valid.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Prior to the first Tah needing to claim a club match in a bye week,to effectively reduce his suspension.
What was the track record of starting Tahs players turning out for their SS clubs in bye weeks?
If valid means cynical,we are in agreement :)

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Latu wasn't a starting Tah. TPN got injured that same game I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Prior to the first Tah needing to claim a club match in a bye week,to effectively reduce his suspension.
What was the track record of starting Tahs players turning out for their SS clubs in bye weeks?
If valid means cynical,we are in agreement :)

It has been used by many more teams than the Waratahs.

It is more unusual that a team hasn't argued that the player will play club rugby during a bye to make it count as a week of suspension than the other way around.

They should just normalise the process by making the bye automatically count as a game and just put it down to luck of the draw.

The current system only creates inconsistencies, cynicism and controversy amongst fans.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A bit disingenuous to claim Latu would have played SS because he's only a bench player, when everyone is aware that he gets upwards of 30 minutes game time at Super level anyway, and possibly more time could be anticipated given TPN's injury history.

In any case, as pointed out above, TPN was injured in the game Latu was cited, so it was clear that Latu would be required for the whole of the next game for the Tahs in any case.

Brumbies probably missed an opportunity to settle the matter of the bye week once and for all by not claiming it for Poey. Had they done so, the practice would have been seen for what it is and might have forced the Judiciary or SANZAAR to take a proper look at their procedures.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It has been used by many more teams than the Waratahs.

It is more unusual that a team hasn't argued that the player will play club rugby during a bye to make it count as a week of suspension than the other way around.

They should just normalise the process by making the bye automatically count as a game and just put it down to luck of the draw.

The current system only creates inconsistencies, cynicism and controversy amongst fans.
Really?
My recollection is that many were stunned by the audacity of the Tahs claim that Latu was scheduled to play in a club game.
Claiming it to be common practice,does not diminish the taint of cynicism over the episode.
You are normally good at citing examples to back up your POV, but not this time?

Status
Not open for further replies.