• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Wing looks like it could be well covered next year with Henry, Taliauli, Toua, Dargaville, Muirhead and Morseu all in the mix. Are they all signed?

El Jefe

Stan Wickham (3)
Tickets bought for the QF. A family ticket and 2 concessions right on half way and four rows back for less than $150. Awesome value.
It cost me $52.50 (including a $5.50 handling fee to email me the ticket) to reserve my member's seat in the Gregan/Larkham stand. Your deal seems far more generous.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
It cost me $52.50 (including a $5.50 handling fee to email me the ticket) to reserve my member's seat in the Gregan/Larkham stand. Your deal seems far more generous.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
2 adults, 2 uni concessions, and 2 15year olds. It's a very sweet deal.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Lonergan is contracted until next year, but at this stage unknown as to whether he gets upgraded to a full time contract or stays as a development player.........

Lonergan, who plays for Tuggeranong Vikings, has signed a two-year deal, beginning with a development contract for 2017.

Reactions: dru

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Whilst he's a great man with a great career, I feel at this point he's just in the way of others' development.

Off the mark there A. Ben A is playing very good rugby atm, reminiscent of his form when he first played for the Wallabies. Not a hinge at scrum time and getting around the ground like a spring chicken. He has played both sides of the scrum in 2017 and is a good mentor for the younger props in the squad. Plus, he has in recent years been given some responsibilities within the group for training and developing set piece plays and strategies, I understand. On top of that, he is just in his prime for a prop's age and experience. He is a very valuable member of the squad and still puts in at a high standard when called upon.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Really hope Alcock comes back for the season after Japanese is finished. It's a 2nd tier club (at best) and he was vital this year. Yes Pocock returns but TBH I would be starting them as Alpocock. Not sure what position is best for Cusack and Butler but neither are as good as Alcock. Losing Fardy and maybe Smiler so a bit of experience will be key. With Cubelli going they should be looking at a marquee blind side or pinch RHP if Force fold. Already got 2 young 8's in Valetini & Fakasolia, so need a lineout man.

7- Poey & Alcock
8. Fakasolia & Butler
6. Cusack & Marquee/RHP?
Development. Valetini

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Alcock had a very good year with the Brumbies and proved to be a worthwhile cover during Poey's absence. Good luck to him in Japan.

I think it's a shame to be losing Smiler when he's playing the best rugby of his time with the Brumbies. Does anyone know if he will be returning at the end of the Japanese season? There was a suggestion some time ago that he might get back for some time in 2018.

UTR - Another player at the standard of Cusack/Butler currently on the Brumbies' books is Ben Hyne. I think the loose forward formations would probably be (in the absence of RHP who would be a very good get, but hopefully will turn out for the Force in '18) :

6. Cusack, Hyne;
7. Pocock, Butler;
8. Fakosolea, Valetini.

I believe each of Cusack, Hyne and Fakosolea is more than an adequate lineout jumper to back up Carter, Arnold, Enever and Swain who will rotate through the second row.

Fakosolea and Valetini are both rookies but play in the fashion of Ita Vaea and I think that is the aim of the coaching staff. Hard running and tough tackling in the No 8.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Alcock had a very good year with the Brumbies and proved to be a worthwhile cover during Poey's absence. Good luck to him in Japan.

I think it's a shame to be losing Smiler when he's playing the best rugby of his time with the Brumbies. Does anyone know if he will be returning at the end of the Japanese season? There was a suggestion some time ago that he might get back for some time in 2018.

UTR - Another player at the standard of Cusack/Butler currently on the Brumbies' books is Ben Hyne. I think the loose forward formations would probably be (in the absence of RHP who would be a very good get, but hopefully will turn out for the Force in '18) :

6. Cusack, Hyne;
7. Pocock, Butler;
8. Fakosolea, Valetini.

I believe each of Cusack, Hyne and Fakosolea is more than an adequate lineout jumper to back up Carter, Arnold, Enever and Swain who will rotate through the second row.

Fakosolea and Valetini are both rookies but play in the fashion of Ita Vaea and I think that is the aim of the coaching staff. Hard running and tough tackling in the No 8.

Thanks for the response. I had pegged Hyne as a lock in the absence of Staniforth and no announced replacement. At least if your 8s are struggling for form (fakasolia didn't earn many minutes last season and Valetini is what..18?) you can still have Butler @ 8. Just lacking punch in that scenario.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The Fardy, Alcock and Smiler combination not only brought the breakdown pressure needed but the mobility that has been missing for a few years. It going to be hard to replace. Pocock brings the pressure but not the attacking mobility of Alcock.

Fingers crossed the likes of Hyne and Fakosolea / Valetini can step up. Not sold on Cusack yet (need to see more of him) and Butler is more of a backup option IMHO.

The worrying assumption for me is around Pocock. We don't know what he will be like when he gets back and again we have no real 7 beyond him to cover.

We seem to be slipping back to the mediocre slow midfield again.

Could try Godwin at as cover at 7 as he has zero attacking ability, can't run whatsoever but can tackle. ;) Still giggling at the irony the Wallabies attacking coaches pet has been pushed out by a fullback playing @12.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, some merit in Godwin playing backup No 7, his form at 12 hasn't been outstanding. Defense is very strong, though. I thought Rowan Perry should never have been let go, but as he doesn't seem to get any time at the Tahs, would he be an option?

Cusack to me has more pace than any of Fardy, Smiler (close) or Alcock (also close). He can also break the line, so could well be in for a breakout year in 2018, I think.

Reactions: mst
Status
Not open for further replies.