• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
James Dargaville has joined North Harbour for the Mitre 10 Cup (NPC), and is starting the first game at centre. Any opinions on his ability at 13?

Played a significant amount of minutes in the centres for the CBR Vikings in 2017 and looked really good. Bit of a revelation in fact (and probably what Nth Harbour have seen). Has played in the centres for the Brumbies on a few occasions. I believe he played in the centres in his youth and moved to the wing in the SS (Syd Uni). Most expected him to be the Godwin replacement next year. Larkham likening him to Pat McCabe. I suspect another case of Aussie rugby not being able to see the player and skills /abilities for the pre-conception. The Kiwi's will step him up and highlight what we discard.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Played a significant amount of minutes in the centres for the CBR Vikings in 2017 and looked really good. Bit of a revelation in fact (and probably what Nth Harbour have seen). Has played in the centres for the Brumbies on a few occasions. I believe he played in the centres in his youth and moved to the wing in the SS (Syd Uni). Most expected him to be the Godwin replacement next year. Larkham likening him to Pat McCabe. I suspect another case of Aussie rugby not being able to see the player and skills /abilities for the pre-conception. The Kiwi's will step him up and highlight what we discard.
I think he is a new Adam Ashley Cooper I wont say modern as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) not that old but if he had the chances of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) he could of been great.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)

IIRC he played in the back row in his youth.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think he is a new Adam Ashley Cooper I wont say modern as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) not that old but if he had the chances of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) he could of been great.

If he was half as good as Adam Ashley-Cooper he'd probably get more chances.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Issues with NRC comparisons can be found in how good David Horwitz looked at 13 in that comp.

Sure, but Dargaville has played some good matches with the Brumbies too..........

He was a standout in the last Brumbies finals match against the 'canes in 2017.

Granted, that was on the wing........ but a shift infield always looked on the cards.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Brumbies hooker Connal McInerney signs deal
The ACT Brumbies will invest in a hooker on the rise on Friday after finalising a deal to offer Connal McInerney the first professional contract of his career.

Source: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/sp...l-but-wallabies-snub-act-20180816-p4zxsu.html

Great news. Definitely our second-best this year, deserves an opportunity to push for the starting jersey.

It seems that with a few of our younger players (Powell, Fainga'a, Banks), being dropped for a game or two has really helped them kick on and not only maintain their standards, but raise them. Keeping talented reserves around doesn't just help when injury strikes or when you need fresh legs at the end of the game, but it also pushes the starters to be better.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Sure, but Dargaville has played some good matches with the Brumbies too....

He was a standout in the last Brumbies finals match against the 'canes in 2017.

Granted, that was on the wing.... but a shift infield always looked on the cards.

Definitely agree, just saying that it's tough to measure the ability of a guy in the NRC. Anyway, I think he played his best NRC games at 12, and his best Super games on the wing, so he's clearly versatile.
I think I'm on the record here as saying we should be retaining Dargaville as the second Bartholomeusz, can cover may positions on the bench and is a handy starter on the wing, at fullback, or at 12 as well.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Good news... it's always nice to see the local guys make it.
Still think if hunt has a good nrc brumbies could do worse than him for a 12 for a season or two while Simone earns his stripes and gets some mentoring from more experienced pro footballer Like hunt. At this stage must be brumbies or overseas for hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Still think if hunt has a good nrc brumbies could do worse than him for a 12 for a season or two while Simone earns his stripes and gets some mentoring from more experienced pro footballer Like hunt. At this stage must be brumbies or overseas for hunt.

You would think Simone has had enough mentors in Beale etc he would want to play.. no need for hunt

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Hard to argue with your position on hunt slim but yeh I like hunt as footballer and pro getting top league players as market for talent and marketable profiles means top league players always should be in the market. But yes his two strikes means can’t blame clubs if choose to not be interested.

Pity but i guess only hunt has himself to blame!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
RN, you'll have to stop this. Do you realise you are the only poster who is offering Hunt to the Brumbies, and you've now done it for about five hundred pages without a breath. You will be doing yourself some irreparable harm if you keep it up.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ben Alexander has retired

Every once in a while, my mates and I throw together a first xv of "players we love to watch". The two rules are that they must be fun to watch, and can't be in the conversation about best player in that position; so Beauden Barrett might seem a natural choice for 10, but he's too good.

There are some fun selections: Greg Bateman is our current favourite, Marcello Bosch is always good for a fun game, but people come and go. Ben Alexander was always in that side. Lord knows he has his problems, but my mates and I have never enjoyed watching a prop play rugby more.

154 games for the Brumbies, 72 games for the Wallabies. Brumbies legend.