• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Could be, but he'll need to get past JJH to do it.

Powell
Lealiifano
Muirhead
JJH
Kuridrani
Speight
Banks

Lonergan/Lucas
Hawera
Tauliali/Wright/Hansen/Pulu

Forwards

Sio
Fainga'a
AAA
Arnold
Carter
Valetini
Pocock
Hyne/McCaffrey/Samu/Cusack

Slipper
Mann-Rea
Makin
Enever/Swain
Hyne/McCaffrey/Samu/Cusack

That's a hell of a lineup. Get those forwards punching through the front line like we were late in the season, then chuck it around and pass to people running into space.

I'm fucken excited!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Three Wallabies and the most promising young player in the country all in the mix for the second row. Hardly iffy in my book

Brumbieman - I'd have Valetini in the No 8 spot with Samu, Cusack or McCaffery starting at 6. I don't think any of these last three are No 8 material. I really think NRC is about the standard for Ben Hyne.

The backrow could again be the Brumbies' achilles heel if Pocock or Valetini are injured.

JJH had a strong start to the NRC but faded at the end. I am not yet convinced that he has the size to make it at Super level. I do believe Simone has all the skills to play 12, and hope that he does bring out the performances that would see him take that spot.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
JJH had a strong start to the NRC but faded at the end.

That's not really true though...........

He was consistently a standout throughout the competition, but was most definitely outplayed in their final match against the Drua........ the Vikings backline issues compounded by the early loss of Hawera that day.

Size could be an issue, but if he's offering more than his "bigger" alternatives he has to be given a serious look.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's not really true though.....

He was consistently a standout throughout the competition, but was most definitely outplayed in their final match against the Drua.... the Vikings backline issues compounded by the early loss of Hawera that day.

Size could be an issue, but if he's offering more than his "bigger" alternatives he has to be given a serious look.

I agree Slim, but I am not yet convinced and I would really like to see Simone reach his potential as well.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies were also named the 14th greatest sports team in the Australasian region in some poll by some group..........

TOP 14

1 Crusaders Super Rugby NZ 3.41

2 Brisbane Broncos NRL QLD 3.08

3 Geelong Cats AFL VIC 2.96

4 Fremantle Mariners NWPL WA 2.88

5 New South Wales Breakers WNCL NSW 2.82

6 QLD Sheffield S. QLD 2.71

7 Sydney University Lions NWPL NSW 2.61

8 Melbourne Storm NRL VIC 2.45

9 Perth Wildcats NBL WA 2.36

10 Sydney Roosters NRL NSW 2.31

11 Sydney Swans AFL NSW 2.19

12 Sydney University Flames Bankstown WNBL NSW 2.12

13 Adelaide Lightning (City) WNBL SA 1.96

14 Brumbies Super Rugby ACT 1.86

https://www.brumbies.com.au/2018/11/whos-the-greatest-brumbies-ranked-14-in-new-poll/

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
[JJH] was consistently a standout throughout the competition, but was most definitely outplayed in their final match against the Drua ......... Size could be an issue, but if he's offering more than his "bigger" alternatives he has to be given a serious look.

My fear remains that we saw a similar dominant season from David Horwitz in the NRC a few years ago, and it became apparent that he was more of a flat-track-bully than a Super-level player.
I 100% agree that he deserves a go if he keeps serving up what he gave in the NRC. He really did bring a lot off the bench last season as well, so it's not looking like a one-season-wonder.

Simone could be an absolute star.
Simone couldn't get a start for the Vikings in NRC

Simone had a similar killer season with the Rays, and made a massive impact in the Shute Shield as well; on that front, he could be considered similar to Dargaville. Also, much like Dargaville, he played really well for the Tahs when he came into the team: rewatch the first four games of 2017 for an example.
Re: being behind JJH in the NRC, nobody can deny the form of JJH this season, and it's no shame to be behind a guy on form. However, he did start two games (vMelb and @NSW), playing well in the former and being key to our win in the latter.

I'd have Valetini in the No 8 spot with Samu, Cusack or McCaffery starting at 6. I don't think any of these last three are No 8 material. I really think NRC is about the standard for Ben Hyne.
Ben Hyne is outperforming either Fardy or Mowen when they were at his experience level, I have every confidence in his ability to progress. I'm much happier with Hyne having stayed and Wells leaving than the reverse.
Samu can basically play anywhere in the backrow, but it's coming time to make him commit to a spot. I'd be retaining McCaffrey at 6 and then it's a battle with Cusack and Pocock for 7, or Hyne and Valetini for 8. Or he can fight for 6.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
My fear remains that we saw a similar dominant season from David Horwitz in the NRC a few years ago, and it became apparent that he was more of a flat-track-bully than a Super-level player.
I 100% agree that he deserves a go if he keeps serving up what he gave in the NRC. He really did bring a lot off the bench last season as well, so it's not looking like a one-season-wonder.

Not sure about who was better back in the day... but I do like Hyne I’m sure he will get his chance in 2019...

Simone had a similar killer season with the Rays, and made a massive impact in the Shute Shield as well; on that front, he could be considered similar to Dargaville. Also, much like Dargaville, he played really well for the Tahs when he came into the team: rewatch the first four games of 2017 for an example.
Re: being behind JJH in the NRC, nobody can deny the form of JJH this season, and it's no shame to be behind a guy on form. However, he did start two games (vMelb and @NSW), playing well in the former and being key to our win in the latter.

Ben Hyne is outperforming either Fardy or Mowen when they were at his experience level, I have every confidence in his ability to progress. I'm much happier with Hyne having stayed and Wells leaving than the reverse.
Samu can basically play anywhere in the backrow, but it's coming time to make him commit to a spot. I'd be retaining McCaffrey at 6 and then it's a battle with Cusack and Pocock for 7, or Hyne and Valetini for 8. Or he can fight for 6.

whitefalcon

Bob Loudon (25)
Have all of the contracts been sorted for 2019?

I heard on the grapevine that Cusack doesn't have a contract for next year yet which seems surprising.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Have all of the contracts been sorted for 2019?

I heard on the grapevine that Cusack doesn't have a contract for next year yet which seems surprising.

Lousy grapes...........

Cusack is contracted next year, and was even rested from the NRC to be fit for Super Rugby.........

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
With the decision by RA and Cheika to rest the Wallaby stars through Super Rugby, I'm concerned at the Brumbies depth in the front row. Whilst Slipper and L-Makin are excellent, I'm worried about bringing on Ross (particularly) or Fifita late in games. They got it handed to them in the NRC and probably one of the main reasons the Vikings didn't make the final.

If there are injuries are well as planned rest then it's even more problematic.

Last season it was a different story with Benny A, L-Makin, Mayhew, Erasmus and Sione providing ample depth.

Brumbies should have the others (Pocock, Arnold and possibly TK) sufficiently covered.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Hopefully they stagger it like the kiwis did last season. Each club had to rest all black players twice over the season, it also gave the clubs power to choose when they rested the players. So you’d hope the week they rested Sio they wouldn’t rest AAT.