• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2019

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
My fear is the not-that-unlikely situation where we lose a player to a training injury at the captain's run or in the warm up, and just need the corporate work ticked off so that the coach can simply call the next guy up and sit him on the bench to avoid a worst-case. This is what the Extended Playing Squad contracts were originally for; I believe it was a simple and strict "you train with these guys, you can't sign for another team this season, you get $5k per game played."

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
My fear is the not-that-unlikely situation where we lose a player to a training injury at the captain's run or in the warm up, and simply need the corporate work ticked off so that the coach can simply call the next guy up and sit him on the bench to avoid a worst-case. This is what the Extended Playing Squad contracts were originally for; I believe it was a simple and strict "you train with these guys, you can't sign for another team this season, you get $5k per game played."

Isn't Lachlan Lonergan on that extended playing squad contract ? or development contract ?

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I don't know what Lachlan's situation is. Is he with the u20s squad? He isn't listed as a Brumbies player this season.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ready was far and away the best hooker in Aus in 2016, but something put an end to his rise. Couldn't replicate it year-on-year? Regressed to the mean? Poor attitude? Whatever it was, I think he'd be a fine third choice hooker for the rest of the season, but the pay he'd command would be too much to justify.

CarnTheBrumbies

Frank Nicholson (4)
For me there’s only one option; Michael Henry.
By far and away the best option. He made John I Dent team of the year, consistent Brumby runners over the last 5 years and what better to replace a veteran old hooker with a veteran old hooker. Perfect fit and reward.
Henry has a magnificent throw (better than Luteru) and never misses a tackle. Give the man a run

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
For a short term measure and especially for a team that if they finish the season well could play finals, I’d be throwing a short term contract to Nathan Charles. Last year he was solid for the Rebels when given an opportunity, you know he can play at Super Rugby level, happy to play squad member and could bring some experience to a bunch of hookers that are very young at training, etc. question is, is he still playing???

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Like with Ready, my fear with Charles would simply be that we'd overpay for what would effectively be an insurance option. I'd much prefer to use the situation as an opportunity to promote from within, and get a better understanding of where our local players are in relation to Super level performances.

For me there’s only one option; Michael Henry.

By far and away the best option. He made John I Dent team of the year, consistent Brumby runners over the last 5 years and what better to replace a veteran old hooker with a veteran old hooker. Perfect fit and reward.

Henry has a magnificent throw (better than Luteru) and never misses a tackle. Give the man a run

Mate, you've swung the romantic in me. Damn straight do I want to see an old bloke who's given years of service get a reward, particularly if he can make his throws and his tackles. Throw in hooking in the scrums and we'll have ourselves a champion.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Like with Ready, my fear with Charles would simply be that we'd overpay for what would effectively be an insurance option. I'd much prefer to use the situation as an opportunity to promote from within, and get a better understanding of where our local players are in relation to Super level performances.

Mate, you've swung the romantic in me. Damn straight do I want to see an old bloke who's given years of service get a reward, particularly if he can make his throws and his tackles. Throw in hooking in the scrums and we'll have ourselves a champion.
Got my vote from within to Im championing a guy from with in this Michael Henry should get the gig. Specially because he'd probably be a hard bastard at training better then some young pup.

Pull him in :)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Don't know if that's a good or a bad thing, I'm guessing Good but Powell seems to be coming along nicely.

Surely good, competition makes everyone better. Also White is only 28, still got another cycle in him. With White, Powell, Gordon and McDermott, the stocks are looking promising.

Green grass

Chris McKivat (8)
I’ve just spat out the glass of Penfolds shiraz I was enjoying with dinner. Are we talking about the same Tuggeranong hooker?
I have been overseas with work, but have been keeping up to date with all things JID. Stampede tells me that Henry was in second grade in round 1? There has to be a better option, surely? I’m going to be at ANU on Saturday to see the men from the valley take us on, so every chance he’ll have a good game. He might even be on the bench for first grade.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Love it, Green Grass. No shame in being a second grade player! Especially when Vikings have players in second grade that would start in other teams' first grade side, haha.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
I’ve just spat out the glass of Penfolds shiraz I was enjoying with dinner. Are we talking about the same Tuggeranong hooker?
I have been overseas with work, but have been keeping up to date with all things JID. Stampede tells me that Henry was in second grade in round 1? There has to be a better option, surely? I’m going to be at ANU on Saturday to see the men from the valley take us on, so every chance he’ll have a good game. He might even be on the bench for first grade.

Hahaha you do realise most of us are basing our call on nothing but forum information, if his not the next best then we should select the next best. Do you have any choices ?