• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2024

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)

1699490987836.png

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
That's a very stable roster for 2024. Only three new faces as far as I can see, Anderson, Shaw and Goddard, replacing Samu, Nic White, CFS, Tom Ross, Nathan Carroll and Moggy. Rhys van Nek and Blake Schoupp both come into the main squad, but were in and out of the side at various times this year.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
View attachment 17918
Canberra Times have put together a list of the off contract brumbies following the 2024 season. Some big names there for sure.

Both Swain and Hooper coming off contract is interesting with Neville extending out to 2025 and Shaw being promoted to the main squad. You would think given the locking situation at the other Super sides both of them might get a significantly stronger offer from elsewhere and the resourcing will only be there to retain one.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I assume Hooper goes to 6 full time with Samu gone, and the Brumbies try and build a future around both Hooper brothers.
Yeah, it's Reimer and Brown most likely to feel the squeeze from the backrow players and get scooped up with a solid OS offer.

I expect this is probably Muirhead's last season with Brumbies given he's off contract. It's hard to see him cracking the Wallabies at this point and given he'll be turning 31 next year it's getting to be his last chance to cash in overseas. Could sign a one year deal to play against the Lions I guess, but with some of the back 3 players the Brumbies have coming through age grade they may be keen to clear a bit of squad/cap space.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Keep Hooper and let Swain go if he gets an offer. Could see the Rebels making a play at him with Hosea gone to Japan.

Rebels making a play would probably depend on Canham's development and where they see Smith playing long term, but I'd be more than happy to have him on the books. But I think he'd slot into pretty much any other Aussie super sides starting XV: in particular if Rodda ever gets himself fit I think he and a Swain who has learned to pull the end in could be an excellent aggressive pair. But it would help the Tahs keep Holloway/Hanigan in the backrow and FLW (Fergus Lee-Warner) out of the XV, and he's both younger and better than all the reds main locks bar maybe Blyth? Anyway, very slightly off topic.

I assume Hooper goes to 6 full time with Samu gone, and the Brumbies try and build a future around both Hooper brothers.

I'm certainly not saying losing one of them is inevitable: rather, if the other Super sides are doing their jobs right, you've got 4 "Wallaby level" players competing for 3 starters jerseys. Hooper obviously has that tank and mobility to make the backrow work, but for Swain in particular I think he'll find it very hard to push for an International Jersey if he's still sharing time with Neville rather than getting the chance to play 80 week in week out.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm certainly not saying losing one of them is inevitable: rather, if the other Super sides are doing their jobs right, you've got 4 "Wallaby level" players competing for 3 starters jerseys. Hooper obviously has that tank and mobility to make the backrow work, but for Swain in particular I think he'll find it very hard to push for an International Jersey if he's still sharing time with Neville rather than getting the chance to play 80 week in week out.
I think you're probably expecting more out of Neville than most, he's just turned 35 and has had a significant injury run over the past few years. I think it's probably unlikely he picks up many more wallabies caps at this stage, not without an injury crisis to clear the way.

I suspect Frost and Swain will be the main pairing this year be and Neville will shift to more of a depth/coverage role headed into 2025. I doubt they'd risk loosing a long term option like Swain to another Australian side knowing that Neville wouldn't really be an option beyond 2025 either. Foreign money is another question all together, but that will come down to what value RA places on Swain.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Has Lolesio returned home? with Biggar's injury I'd assume Toulon would be quite keen to keep him around. Wouldn't hate him having a season leading the Toulon backline.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Finally got round to watching Lolesio's game. He had a solid game, his try set up was pretty mint. Great kick and heads up play. But he dropped a tackle on Arundell for his first try and also nearly lost the game at the end with a penalty kick for touch that fell short.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
I cant help but wonder what contingency planning is happening at the Brumbies with Larkham's name being thrown into the ring as Wallabies Coach.
Who would jump in to coach the ACT boys who are already into their pre season cycle?
As much as I with the best for Bernie, I seriously hope he isn't given the head coach gig of Australia yet.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I cant help but wonder what contingency planning is happening at the Brumbies with Larkham's name being thrown into the ring as Wallabies Coach.
Who would jump in to coach the ACT boys who are already into their pre season cycle?
As much as I with the best for Bernie, I seriously hope he isn't given the head coach gig of Australia yet.
I expect Larkham will still see out the season with the Brumbies if he gets the Wallabies job.

After that there will likely be a fair few coaching changeovers in super rugby. If you look at the list of applicants for the previous Reds and tahs jobs you can expect Nathan Grey, John Manenti, Jason Gilmore and Toutai Kefu might all be putting there hands up for a head coaching job. Possibly Rod Seib and Ben Mowen will try for the promotion too, it'll probably be too early for Mowen but Seib has got a bit of experience now. A lot may hinge on who else ends up in the wallabies program and whether or not any of the other super head coach jobs open up - I think Coleman and Cron are both off contract at the end of 2024 at this stage, Foote has another year but could be axed of the season goes poorly.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
I expect Larkham will still see out the season with the Brumbies if he gets the Wallabies job.

After that there will likely be a fair few coaching changeovers in super rugby. If you look at the list of applicants for the previous Reds and tahs jobs you can expect Nathan Grey, John Manenti, Jason Gilmore and Toutai Kefu might all be putting there hands up for a head coaching job. Possibly Rod Seib and Ben Mowen will try for the promotion too, it'll probably be too early for Mowen but Seib has got a bit of experience now. A lot may hinge on who else ends up in the wallabies program and whether or not any of the other super head coach jobs open up - I think Coleman and Cron are both off contract at the end of 2024 at this stage, Foote has another year but could be axed of the season goes poorly.
How's Mowen going?

Wilson

David Codey (61)
How's Mowen going?
He's had a solid few years with Easts in Brisbane, has worked with the under 20s for QLD and Australia and I think he was doing a bit of player coaching in France. 2024 will be his first year with the Brumbies as an assistant coach, which shapes as too soon to jump into a head coach role in 2025, but not entirely outside the realm of possibility. He does look like a good prospect for the future though, and was exactly the sort of hard working but never quite starring player that makes for a good coach.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He seems like a guy who has the makings of a coach.

What does that even mean though. Wouldn’t have picked Peter Hewat…

More Aussies getting into it the better.