• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2024

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Anyone got any news on Austin Anderson? Expect him to get any game time? Quality player or filling the numbers?

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
Anyone got any news on Austin Anderson? Expect him to get any game time? Quality player or filling the numbers?
Elevated from Brumbies Academy but formerly a WA kid with NZ bloodline and played NPC for Waikato and time at Hamilton Boys High. Success has many fathers.

Wallaby Way

Herbert Moran (7)
He has a similar style to Tamati Tua. I haven't seen a lot but he didn't stand out in the local comp this year (only played a few games from memory). I would have preferred Joe Wadman or Jakob Biet for the development centre role.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Biet has a lot to like about him. Hopefully he gets a good run with the Aus 20s and Club- Eastwood and might move up next year like O’Donnell has with the Force now.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)

Media Release: Penrith to depart the John I Dent Cup for 2024​

Fri, Nov 24, 2023 at 4:21 PM

After two seasons playing in the BentSpoke John I Dent Cup, the Penrith Emus have been omitted for the 2024 competition.

The ACT & Southern NSW Rugby Union keenly supported Penrith’s inclusion in the competition in 2022 at a pivotal time for the club, in what continues to be a positive and respectful relationship. Penrith's initial move to the ACT competition was also unanimously supported by the clubs, with a commitment to fielding teams across 1st Grade, Women, 2nd Grade and Colts.

Club Presidents recently expressed concerns around Penrith’s performances after some big losses this year. Including a 99-17 defeat by Gungahlin in Round 5, followed by a 111-17 loss to Vikings in Round 7 and a 71-0 victory by Wests in Round 14. Heightened by the mid-season withdrawal of their second grade team. With the logistics of a team based at Nepean Rugby Park playing every second week in Canberra proving incredibly difficult. In the end there was a loss of support from the John I Dent Cup clubs for Penrith’s continuation next season.

The Emus have failed to chalk up a victory in first grade in two years, but their perseverance has been undeniable. In Colts, the Emus finished the regular season in sixth place with only three wins to their name, while in the Women’s competition the Emus recorded seven victories to finish fifth.

Both the Colts and Women’s programs have been the shining light in their two seasons in Canberra, with both making the Finals in 2022.

ACT&SNSWRU Officials have the utmost admiration for Penrith President Gary McColl, Club Secretary Sue Andrews and Head Coach Ronnie Patea and their unwavering commitment to the Emus. Their endless dedication to the players and the continuing determination shown for the club is remarkable.

The relationship between the Emus and the Canberra based clubs have also been positive, with all developing a valued association with the Western Sydney club.

The ACT&SNSWRU is keen to maintain a meaningful connection, particularly in the pathway space where several Penrith players have represented the ACT Brumbies U19’s, ACT Brumbies Women and ACT & Southern NSW Kestrels and Griffins at the recent Australian Rugby Shield in Brisbane. With key players continuing to feature in the ACT Brumbies Academy.

The door remains open and the opportunity for a return to the Canberra based competition would wholeheartedly be considered in the future.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Hawko, not sure that those scouts can be applauded on the basis of recent recruits.

A couple of current Wallabies who most seem to think won't be in the mix for national honours anymore. A much loved and over-hyped centre who wanted a change of position but has continued his merry, so-so form in the position he wanted to vacate. Another ex-Wallaby who went there for 12 months and moved on.

Not a lot of good outcome just yet, but we should remember they recruited the Brumbies back-up backline a couple of years ago so it will be interesting to keep an eye on their progress this coming season.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
They pick up Swain and can get him with Rodda as well as BPA into the pack and it can shift a lot for them. Harris still has a lot of potential as well.

Fit Pasitoa, Potter, Spink and White could cause some issues for sides especially if they can make Perth a hard place to play. Stewart & Donaldson are ready made Super players so they are good pick ups even if not rated as Test players. They’ve signed some youth as well with O’Donnell & Leahy waiting for a chance.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
They pick up Swain and can get him with Rodda as well as BPA into the pack and it can shift a lot for them. Harris still has a lot of potential as well.

Fit Pasitoa, Potter, Spink and White could cause some issues for sides especially if they can make Perth a hard place to play. Stewart & Donaldson are ready made Super players so they are good pick ups even if not rated as Test players. They’ve signed some youth as well with O’Donnell & Leahy waiting for a chance.
The big if in all that is holding onto the players they've already got long enough to bring it all together. Really need to get their turnover down to build a team out of these players.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Issue for most sides. First time I can think of the Force potentially having genuine depth in the squad.

I do see a one in one out happening though. Watch the Brumbies pick up Rodda and he never get injured again.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yoda asked on the Wallabies 2024 thread for thoughts on Noah at 10, Jack D at 15 and Tom Wright back to wing for the Brumbies in 2024.

In my opinion, this would work. With Nic White gone, I think there will be some changes to the Brumbies playing structures with more play centred around the No 10 and a play-making No 15. I expect Noah will get first dibs at the No 10 spot; despite critics here and elsewhere he was the second best performing No 10 in the Aus teams this year and has had some time in Toulon getting a taste of different styles of play. And with a different style of No 9 in Ryan Lonergan he will be more involved in decision making and managing the play than previously. It will be good to see him step up to the new challenges.

Jack Debreczini could be tailor made for a play making No 15. He is reliable under the high ball, has a good long kicking game, is reasonably strong in defence and can run the ball into traffic as well. He has the ability to step into the backline when needed and organise the play.

Tom Wright is a class player. Most here would say he is a better wing than fullback. No matter which spot he is in contention for Wallaby selection, and he will more than fill the bill for the Brumbies again next year whether at wing or 15.

If those changes were to be made, I see Declan Meredith coming into the 23 as cover for both 10 and 15 spots. It would seem likely that Andrew Muirhead and Corey Toole would alternate for the other wing spot while Ben O'Donnell would also be in the mix. So it could all work.

Against all that, is continuity in the playing squad. Really losing only White and Samu from this year's starting lineup, the Brumbies are in a particularly strong position of virtually retaining the same starting lineup for the coming season. It will be interesting to watch how Larkham et al approach the season without Nic White calling most of the shots. If they want to add new dimensions to their attack, then some changes in starting personnel and playing structure can be anticipated, but if they elect to stay with and try to improve on the game plan used this year and last, then there will likely be fewer changes and maybe only Lonergan into No 9 as the sole starting change.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Debrezceni to 15 would make for a much more balanced back 3, they were found out a couple of times last year without a strong kicking option when it was Toole, Muirhead and Wright. A lot might depend on how Wright has come along in the off season and how much he wants to transition to fullback going full-time.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I always find conversations like this quite an interesting insight into the Aussie rugby mentality around players and selection. From memory, Wright had a decent season at full back as a rookie. Had on a bad game that happened to be in the Final, but then again, the Brumbies were awful in the final and the game plan was even worse, and we never looked like winning. For the Wallabies he was ok, had some good and bad moments and in comparison, to other Full backs like Willy Leroux, and even some Kiwi players, make the same mistakes and poor decision offset with some good things and the benefits you get in attack. So, all up, the decisions around Wright, who is essentially a Rookie at full back is the usually Aussie thinking of if they are not God like, or error free, then cut them.

The fact that if you add in that this rookie (in position), who was picked over more hyped and more experienced players who have played Full back in in Australia and was only cut due to the genius of Jones, really highlights that we may be using some perverse criteria and twisted metrics and facts to get to frankly silly decisions.

So, let’s look at this on balance. The comparison that is occurring is between Debrezceni who is on his second go and has never really solidified a starting position and didn’t play much as full back, versus a player who has one year in a position who then ended up in the international cauldron and had a few bad games.

I didn’t know if it’s a cultural thing, but I really hope one day Aussie rugby will get a better sense of balance and perspective around players.

Sometime the perspective is right in front of you. Kellaway was safe at the back for the Wallabies and the RWC, but beyond that did what? May be Wrights willingness to take more risks may have created more for the Wallabies, as in between the errors he created some good attack. Given time, most player get better at decision making and that is still possible. But alas, here we are and the essential have him cut from playing full back and replaced by an uncredentialled option.

Personally I will take him at full back knowing Larkham will suck the life out of most attacks, we will need ever “lucky” option we can get.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
MST, the best example of a rookie turning champion after being given time to settle into the position would be Latham. And I agree that Tom had quite a good season all up this year. He has many detractors I think due to his Tom Carter-like inclination to have a cheap shot at opposition players at times.

Personally, I don't advocate for his return to the wing. Tom was probably the leading No 15 in the Aus teams in Super this year and would most certainly have put in better performances (goal kicking aside) at the Wallabies than one Ben Donaldson did at the RWC. My discussion was prompted by a question from another poster as to the possible changes at wing and fullback. In my opinion it would work, but there is a strong argument for retaining last year's backline structure with Lonergan replacing White. I think the makeup is a matter for the coaching staff at this point.

On the subject of coaches, I don't share your apparent pessimism about Larkham's effect on the Brumbies' attack. I think the Brumbies' set piece attack has been as good as any teams and their ability to counter attack has improved when they don't simply resort to kicking turn over ball away which they do on too many occasions. I hope to see further improvements in the attack next year.

Yoda

Watty Friend (18)
MST, the best example of a rookie turning champion after being given time to settle into the position would be Latham. And I agree that Tom had quite a good season all up this year. He has many detractors I think due to his Tom Carter-like inclination to have a cheap shot at opposition players at times.

Personally, I don't advocate for his return to the wing. Tom was probably the leading No 15 in the Aus teams in Super this year and would most certainly have put in better performances (goal kicking aside) at the Wallabies than one Ben Donaldson did at the RWC. My discussion was prompted by a question from another poster as to the possible changes at wing and fullback. In my opinion it would work, but there is a strong argument for retaining last year's backline structure with Lonergan replacing White. I think the makeup is a matter for the coaching staff at this point.

On the subject of coaches, I don't share your apparent pessimism about Larkham's effect on the Brumbies' attack. I think the Brumbies' set piece attack has been as good as any teams and their ability to counter attack has improved when they don't simply resort to kicking turn over ball away which they do on too many occasions. I hope to see further improvements in the attack next year.
As many of Wright’s critics would agree he needs to totally eliminate his brain explosions from his game because he has plenty of X factor and genuine speed. I prefer him on the wing but get him plenty of ball and space. BR, as you suggest, the same backline with Lonergan will no doubt start the season though. I hope I see Larkham’s playing brilliance show through in his backline coaching this year. Forwards get them plenty of ball. Toole and Wright are the fastest backs in Australian rugby?