• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies 2024

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Ala'alatoa eyeing a return around April:
“It’s going really well and tracking where we are meant to be coming back which will be towards the middle of the season," he told Rugby.com.au

“Everything has been going well and I’m in good hands with the physios at the Brumbies and I’m hoping to be back around April.
https://www.rugby.com.au/news/Ala'a...reflects-on-special-family-connection-2024215

I'm guessing that probably means they're targeting the round 7 clash against the tahs on the 6th, but with the bye a week later I wouldn't be surprised to see him held until round 9 vs the Blues on the 20th of April.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
I'm looking forward to Van Nek getting some more game time... he had some real quality involvements last year.
Yeah, me too. I rate Van Nek massively and I'm annoyed we missed out on him twice in QLD. Maybe a little less since luring De Lutiis back though.

Big question in the meantime is going to be Kautai's fitness and whether or not they thin Alatini is ready for the super if Kautai is still out round 1. He's a great young talent but coming off the bench against that Rebels front row would be one hell of an introduction to super rugby at his age. I expect it might be Slipper shifting across instead if Kautai is still out.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I would hold back on Alatini at the moment. He had a great U19s tournament and really showed his power coming off the bench for the Brums but I like these guys to build the power over time and come in ready to play and not hoping he can be up to it. I think the Tahs have been doing the right thing with Barrett who looks to have put some weight on the frame over the pre season.

Hopefully the Brumbies can get it done with; Slipper, Van Nek, Schoupp, Kautai, Kaihea. Not a bad group at all.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
I rate Reimer highly. Has had a genuine impact on a number of games as a replacement. He well and truly deserves a shot in the starting XV. Wallaby jersey certainly not out of his reach

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
He's proven very effective off the bench when the Brumbies have a lead. He's a menace in the ruck and slows it down every time and gets a couple of key steals.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
There's another Aussie team whose fans here start talking Wallabies jerseys for kids just out of school. I hope we don't start doing the same in our support for the Brumbies. How about letting players earn their starting spots and get some consistent, higher standard games under their belts before going all Wallaby starry eyed.
I rate Reimer highly. Has had a genuine impact on a number of games as a replacement. He well and truly deserves a shot in the starting XV. Wallaby jersey certainly not out of his reach

carl spackler

Sydney Middleton (9)
There's another Aussie team whose fans here start talking Wallabies jerseys for kids just out of school. I hope we don't start doing the same in our support for the Brumbies. How about letting players earn their starting spots and get some consistent, higher standard games under their belts before going all Wallaby starry eyed.
The ‘kid’ turns 24 this year, 6 years out of school, so hardly fits your description.
He would, by now, have had minimum 20 starts with any other Aussie franchise. More than a menace, he’s the kind of aggressive, non-submissive type that AU rugby has been missing for a decade.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
OK Carl, he's not a kid but he's not yet made a spot in the Brumbies XV his own, and on my viewing he needs to be more effective in his one on one tackling before he will do that. I think he currently rates behind Jahrome Brown and about equal with Rory Scott for the 7 spot.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
That's a bit gung-ho BR. Saying that a wallaby jersey isn't out of reach for a man who has had 32 games is hardly being 'starry eyed'. Discussing upcoming talent seems to be pretty standard for a rugby forum

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Yeah, I'm all for discussing emerging talent coming through the Brumbies, but it sticks in my craw when on a certain Super Rugby thread it seems every second post is about a no name just out of school or playing in the local club competition being touted as future Wallaby. I hope not to see similar over the top posts on the Brumbies thread.

That said, I am keen to highlight and discuss good players coming through the pathways but in the context of their future playing days for the Brumbies. Luke Reimer is one of the best pilfering No 7s going round atm, but not yet being measured for a Wallabies jersey. Similarly, players like Billy Pollard, Harry Vella, Rory Scott, Charlie Cale, Klayton Thorn, Declan Meredith look like they have Super standard all over their games and hopefully will in time form the backbone of the Brumbies as present day stars move away.

And further down the ladder atm, I expect Tevita Alatini and Angus Staniforth will be absolute stars of the game. But let's give them a bit of time to learn and reach their potential before looking beyond the Brumbies.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Yeah, I'm all for discussing emerging talent coming through the Brumbies, but it sticks in my craw when on a certain Super Rugby thread it seems every second post is about a no name just out of school or playing in the local club competition being touted as future Wallaby. I hope not to see similar over the top posts on the Brumbies thread.

That said, I am keen to highlight and discuss good players coming through the pathways but in the context of their future playing days for the Brumbies. Luke Reimer is one of the best pilfering No 7s going round atm, but not yet being measured for a Wallabies jersey. Similarly, players like Billy Pollard, Harry Vella, Rory Scott, Charlie Cale, Klayton Thorn, Declan Meredith look like they have Super standard all over their games and hopefully will in time form the backbone of the Brumbies as present day stars move away.

And further down the ladder atm, I expect Tevita Alatini and Angus Staniforth will be absolute stars of the game. But let's give them a bit of time to learn and reach their potential before looking beyond the Brumbies.
100 % in Reimer qualify

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Luke Reimer is one of the best pilfering No 7s going round atm, but not yet being measured for a Wallabies jersey. Similarly, players like Billy Pollard, Harry Vella, Rory Scott, Charlie Cale, Klayton Thorn, Declan Meredith look like they have Super standard all over their games and hopefully will in time form the backbone of the Brumbies as present day stars move away.
Remember he already has one

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)

Excited to watch the best pilfering 7 going around this weekend, high expectations now!
And these absolute stars you refer too, can't wait to see them crush it either on the way to stardom.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
One of the best Adam, along with Fraser and Brad Wilkin. I reckon he is starting tonight specifically as a counter to Wilkin who was probably the best pilferer in 2023.