• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Bulls, Round 11, 6 May 2016, GIO Stadium, Canberra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Because they if accurate could chew of more metres because the curve would give them that extra yards. Problem is were bout as accurate as a blind leper playing darts.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

This I can't accept. The left footer kicking to the left sideline is starting the ball towards the sideline and hoping the natural curve will bring it back somewhat to find touch further down the field, and vice versa for the right footer kicking to the right sideline. The result then is usually the ball swings back too far and fails to find touch, or crosses the touchline a lot closer to where it was kicked than was intended if it doesn't get the desired swing.

The other way around would have the kicker aiming for greater distance and relying on the natural swing to veer the ball away from the playing field and over the sideline.

The only way the leftie to the left side and rightie to the right side works is if they can pull off a banana kick, which seems to be well out of the skill sets of most of our kickers.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Banana kicks won't get you any appreciable distance. BR's right, there should've been a leftie kicking to the right touch line and vice versa.

As someone born and brought up in southern New South Wales who played Aussie Rules as his first football code it shits me to see such poor kicking from our elite rugby players, especially with the world's best oval ball kickers all around us. Fer Chrissake even NZ realised this, and grabbed Michael Byrne (ex-Swans) to polish up their kicking skills. QC (Quade Cooper) is a very poor kicker, much too rounded in his style, gets a lot of height but little length, Beale's kicks are also too short, as are most rugby kickers. Rugby kickers have even forgotten how to do a decent torpedo punt, and don't give me any rot about the modern ball doesn't lend itself to torpedoes. It does, just needs a bit of coaching and a lot of practice.

Cbrando

Bob McCowan (2)
Perhaps before we get too cute about left foot right foot we concentrate on getting the ball into touch. So frustrating watching try scoring field position being so easily lost!

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
This I can't accept. The left footer kicking to the left sideline is starting the ball towards the sideline and hoping the natural curve will bring it back somewhat to find touch further down the field, and vice versa for the right footer kicking to the right sideline. The result then is usually the ball swings back too far and fails to find touch, or crosses the touchline a lot closer to where it was kicked than was intended if it doesn't get the desired swing.

The other way around would have the kicker aiming for greater distance and relying on the natural swing to veer the ball away from the playing field and over the sideline.

The only way the leftie to the left side and rightie to the right side works is if they can pull off a banana kick, which seems to be well out of the skill sets of most of our kickers.

Just so you know, I dont agree with it, I think its dumb, I was just trying to throw up an idea of why they did it. personally if I was Moore and I just won a scrum pen and those pricks had missed 4 I would have taken it myself and kicked 15 rows back

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
OK, some some positives from last night:

The Forwards - without them the Brumbies would be a bottom of the ladder team. Even in some of the dour losses recently a number of these guys have put in excellent performances.

Jarrad Butler - added some much needed go forward with ball in hand together with his usual high workrate.

Cubelli - it's a shame he's not eligible for the Wobs. Would prefer one or two less box kicks per match, but overall he's probably been the best attacking player in the backline for the past fortnight, and he's quick to the ruck....... I can't recall a ruck that he's been too slow to arrive at.

The Ah Wong try - holy shit a set piece backline move! Finally...........

And back to the negatives:

Aidan Toua - he's simply not good enough to be a Super Rugby starter at this stage, but I don't know who the Brumbies can replace him with especially now they have so many injuries? Too many awful kicks, passes going to nobody, absent in defence, and he's regularly monstered in attack.

Kicking - we had a couple of chip kicks pay off, but overall there's too much kicking........ too much bad kicking. And having 4 or 5 kicks to touch from penalties not go out is simply inexcusable at this level.

Lack of BP's - another game where a bonus point was on offer and they came away without it. The Brumbies should be another 4 points up on the ladder but they continually fail to close out games when they've got the ascendency. Last night with about 10-15 minutes to go, the Brumbies are on the attack inside the Bulls 50m, the Bulls are spent, and Joe Powell puts up a box kick that nobody is really chasing after. The fuck!?

The backline - an improved performance, but still too deep, too lateral, skills lacking. A number of times last night Rory Arnold showed them how to draw and pass. The general ball skills from the forwards has actually been much better. I'm starting to think Fardy should go to fullback. What is Bernie doing with these guys?

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Given the recent past, a good win for the Brumbies to get. Forwards looked very solid, although I couldn't for the life of me work out if either side was really winning the scrums, as the shove went one way then the other, early engages, some funny calls both ways. But they were hungry at the breakdown, and good impact. Carter looked better (good), Pocock usual, Fardy pretty good, most of the pack were good.
The backs, well, Leali'ifano is doing little or nothing to create anything at the moment. Shuffles it on mostly, very rarely really takes it to the line. He can obviously play better than this, but what's up? A few good touches but many mediocre ones too. It's a mystery. Toua, for his pace, makes an awful lot of errors.
Overall, more positives than negatives, I'd say.

Cyclopath, I told Sam's paternal Grandfather that you said that, in a 'phone call yesterday!

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Nice gesture by the Brumbies management to have players' Mothers' names embroidered on the front of each jersey.
In this morning's replay, (thank you channel ONE), I couldn't see if Sam Carter had "Sue" or "Rat", on his jersey.
His Mum, Sue, was a Ratliff, from Barraba, [home of former Wallaby, Bill Mc Kid, (aka "Billy the Kid"]! ........... Hence her nick-name "Rat"!
Great mob at Barraba, I played quite a few away-games against them, and always enjoyed their "after-match hospitality"!!!

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
For those who may be interested, Ruck Involvements for the Brumbies Forwards against the Bulls.

Remember:
1. Early means 1st or 2nd of player’s team AFTER the ball carrier has been tackled and brought to ground.
2. Impact means active engagement: strong physical contact, changed shape of ruck, clean-out, protecting ball etc. (more than hand on someone’s bum or arriving after the hard work has been done). Yes it’s subjective - but as I collect all data at least it’s consistent.
3. Impact DOES NOT equate to Effectiveness. I’ve concluded that coming up with an effectiveness measure is just too hard in the time that I have available – but open to suggestions.

2016-05-08_23-27-52.jpg

Involvements over time.

2016-05-08_23-27-20.jpg

Brumbies had 64% Possession, showed strong support for their own ball carriers and were generally standing off Defence Rucks.

Forwards earned 5 Turn Overs Won.

Status
Not open for further replies.