• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

brumbies v canes

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

ACTC, I'd be tempted to put Morty at 12 and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13. Mafi to one wing. I know it limits your options a tad but Morty isn't a bad Super 14 inside centre..

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
It will be great news for Oz rugby if Holmes can keep up his obviously good form against the Canes in the trial and command a starting spot at the Brumbies - and then keep progressing from there.

He has disappointed me after pointing out all his attributes when I nominated as a future Wallaby in 2004 after he played for NSW and Oz Schools. It seemed to come so easy to him and yet even when he was at the Rats he showed some doziness and lack of urgency, whichever team had the pill.

He got into the Tahs squad yet couldn't get a starting spot. Then when he got on the park he showed enough glimpses of brillance to make we Tahs supporters regret losing him to the Brumbies. But in the 2008 season the decision to let him go seemed justified as his listlessness prevailed and the player we swapped him for, in effect, Burgess, came good for the Tahs.

But Oz rugby needs both lads to be contenders for the Wallabies - and Ben Lucas as well.

Let's all hope that 2009 is the Year Of The Oz Scrum Halves in Super14 rugby.

Then we can look forward to a Year Of The Tight Head Props - some time.

R

rugbywhisperer

Lee, as a Rat man, are both Holmes lads the prodigy of Mark Holmes, ex Rat and Woodsman

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Did Josh Holmes tackle and pass well?
This was posted by spook on page 1, i'm also interested to know the answer as he was a terrible tackler last year.

If he is a serious test contender than he will have to improve about 300% on last year.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
disco said:
This was posted by spook on page 1, i'm also interested to know the answer as he was a terrible tackler last year.

If he is a serious test contender than he will have to improve about 300% on last year.

Yeah Holmes tackled last year with less authority than Beale.

Beale may have missed more, but that is because he tried to tackle and not just keep away from contact in defence.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Holmes passing went okayish, seemed a little laboured at times though. His tackling was fine, but the Canes rarely went around the fringes and went wider from the ruck and more midfield trying to test the midfield that hadn't played together before.

Like I mentioned though Smith and Tau tackled with a fair amount of venom.

S

Spook

fatprop said:
disco said:

Beale may have missed more, but that is because he tried to tackle and not just keep away from contact in defence.

No way, Beale had no authority in the tackle. He was a grabber. Holmes needs to improve in that regard.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
fatprop said:
disco said:

No way, Beale had no authority in the tackle. He was a grabber. Holmes needs to improve in that regard.

:lmao: I agree Beale is a grabber, but to grab you have to move to attempt to tackle. Holmes just back peddled away from contact last year in defence.

S

Spook

FP, they hid beale at FB in defense FFS! Talk about back pedalling :lmao:

Holmes needs to get his defense sorted and realise he is 91kgs but the last person he should be compared to is Beale. Burgess is a good defender so if Holmes wants to dislodge him he needs to tackle well. This is why Phibbs got selected as he is probably the best defensive Aussie halfback going around. Limited in attack though.

Status
Not open for further replies.