• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Chiefs - R6 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Maybe it's a Brumbies "player power" thing. Larkham doesnt want player power now that he's not a player or on the other hand wants player power but the players are wary of player power because players who used player power become coaches who dont want player power look its late and this post has been poorly thought out so just move on to the next one below, it will be much better

What is the deal with Australian football teams and 'power'? The horseys and their player power, the Force and firepower, the Brisbane horseys and power's brewery.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
^^^^^^ and that's where you've nailed it in terms of it permeating the culture, locally if not generally. Don't know which part(s) of NZ you've resided in, there being pockets e.g. Huntly, Waitara, Wainuiomata where League is bigger than Union & others e.g. (allegedly) North Shore where diveball rules. But on the whole our game is to NZ what diveball is to the Euros, AFL to the Vics or Loig to the Jimboombian.....

fuck remember going over the hill to play Wainuiomata back in the early 70's when I played for that powerhouse wellington club,eastbourne.
hardest part of the day was driving back over the hill and around the bays with a few flagons of red band under the belt!

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
It was like Watching a team on drugs vs a clean team

Lot of weed in the Coromandel area alright. A LOT. The druggies would get the munchies then maybe spill some crumbs down their front and wouldn't have "clean" shirts then? And they'd get really big from eating too much hang on which side of the argument am i on here? Fucking hell this internet shit is hard

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Aus domestic rugby has never looked so bad. Luckily I've never been a believer in Super Rugby results transferring to Test level.

But I believe the main issue are the coaches rather than the players.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Aus domestic rugby has never looked so bad. Luckily I've never been a believer in Super Rugby results transferring to Test level.

It ain't the coaches pal. Basically, NZ rugby are the Harlem Globetrotters. Aus rugby are the Washington Generals.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
But I guess your right in the respect that coaches are responsible for skill levels as well.

It's kind of hard to evaluate our teams game plans, when they play the kiwis it's like we're playing against a different sport.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
For the life of me I can't work out why Larkham cannot get more creativity from Leali'ifano, To'omua, Kuridrani, Tomane et al. They seem so bent on conservatism, it's painful. I really feel they should be testing defences far more. They're all talented players. I find it mystifying.

I swear that the centre third of the ground is a no-go zone in attack for backs!

There is little to no straight running, angled running, really any running at the line or deception from the backs. There also seem to be a concerted effort to shovel the ball out wide for the predictable runs along the side line half the time in attack. If you watch the Kiwis at the moment they don't go fully wide until they need to, the wingers work back infield with someone else coming around to back up on the sideline as an option so its splinters the defence and they creates more supporting option as they work back inside.

The Brumbies piggies in the middle gave the run in the first round and it been a theme since, but its been patchy at best in its success since (thus why it suited the stormers). We saw the Chiefs backs walk through the defence in that centre third a few times with the piggies in the middle as its a mismatch once you have them in broken play.

The power & control game the Brumbies have slipped back into, like other Aussie teams is hurting them. They are reliant on structures, set piece and are now too slow to respond once you speed it up the and its unstructured. Too busy over-thinking it all IMHO.

As for the Brumbies back-line, I am not convinced they have anything but blank shots any more. They lived off mauls last year and are only threatening on paper ATM. It's their achilles heal, and like cyclopath said, mystifying.

I am starting to wonder if the old combinations have got stale and run out of ideas or too busy pick the moments instead of creating them.

Worth noting that the Chiefs showed tonight that an average scrum is still good enough against a dominate scrum!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)

Yes, but I also think where the Kiwi are outdoing us is there willingness play the player in form, regardless of names, experience. And when they do they are conformable to take the risk to reap the reward, the same way the play.

Every year we ask who the hell is that Kiwi player(s) and where the hell did he come from.

Its not often you hear that in our game as its rare our teams are willing to take a chance on new blood unless its necessity.

The Kiwi are doing it now ready for 2019. We - well we are thinking about calling back the old guard again for June. The mindset speaks volumes IMHO.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Tomane has been the Brumbies best back for the past two weeks with about four touches of the ball all up...

The backline needs a good flogging.
Was thinking the same thing... That boy had spiders on him, and was smashing through blokes like they were under 10's.. God damn it get him the ball.. Its a crying shame Robbie Coleman (great player) is used on the inside ball hit up and not big Joe...Hopeful he gets out of his French contract as his looking like our best attacking weapon for the Wallabies (Brumbies don;t like giving him the ball)..

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Well, yeah, by comparison Tribe only flew Auckland to J'burg to Port Elzabeth & back then to São Paulo (that's in Brazil btw) to Buenos Aires, back to Auckland then to where we at again? Oh, yah, Canberra I think...
Two weeks back.. a little different..

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Although I really impressed with game last night fellas, but CHILL!!! It was one game it doesn't make Aus rugby suddenly miles back from NZ. I do believe there is a bit of a difference, but a most is how the game is coached, from schoolboy level to super. I haven't been involved in NZ rugby obviously since I came to NZ 18 years ago, but the couple of things I have noticed in my opinion which held back Aus rugby a little is how rugby is coached at young age (and from what I have heard it is in league, AFL and Soccer) and thet seems to be we have to have results!! i.e. A mate of mine was coaching an under 7 team, they were winning some games by 70 points or more, and looked the bee's knees, I was very surprised with 2 things, 1 that games were allowed to be so one sided and no one bothered to mix teams up , and 2 that when I watched kids train (and this applies to almost all kids teams I have seen train here), they trained all these flash moves and defense, at that age any kids I coached had only ever had a quick run to make them think it was like big boys training and involved all just chucking the ball around and having bloody fun!! Also if we got to far ahead by oranges, I would stick one or two of BEST players on opposition team, it was better for both teams I thought. It's funny how well kids will improve skills having fun, and actually get to understand how to play what's in front of them, and not what they are told to play.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Hmmm I didnt watch the game till the reply at 11 so didn't really comment on it till now. Brumbies where right in it till To'omua missed the pen to the sideline, from there Chiefs got a roll on and there too good to contain.

We have one of the best wingers in the world atm Joe Tomane and we can't get him the ball.. its sad and disgraceful.

It wasnt pretty, but we can turn it around.. have a little faith..

Status
Not open for further replies.