• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies v Waratahs, Sat 27th Feb, Canberra

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I certainly thinks refs should be quicker to call the maul stationary the first time. Realistically if it doesn't start moving immediately the first call should be made. The longer the attacking team is given to effectively set up without it costing them, the more difficult it is to defend it.

In this game I noticed that a couple of times where the Tahs defensive maul fell apart was when Whetton tried to get to the ball and failed. This is a key issue for defensive mauls. As the front defender the defensive team is largely driving on him and if he starts moving around and trying to get to the ball rather than concentrate that drive, the defensive push falls apart. This happened a couple of times and the well set up defence by the Tahs collapsed and the Brumbies scored.

Could just be a matter of skill though BH. Both Neville and Swain are the front defensive players in the Brumbies maul, and on as many occasions as they don't, one of them will also latch onto the ball carrier and bring the maul to a conclusion.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Could just be a matter of skill though BH. Both Neville and Swain are the front defensive players in the Brumbies maul, and on as many occasions as they don't, one of them will also latch onto the ball carrier and bring the maul to a conclusion.

It almost certainly is.

I think judgement is key though.

If you're only just keeping the maul at bay and then you start taking actions that reduces both your push on the maul and that of your teammates and you don't get to the ball, it's clearly an error.

If the opposition is well set up with the ball securely at the back it's an even worse decision to make.