• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Highlanders - 2011R08

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Inconvenient Truth for Brumbies Fans: The 2011 Season is over as Gits shit goal kicking costs his team yet another win!

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
Can anyone tell me how the To'omua, Lilo and Gits jersey swap went.

Gits reminds me of a boy I used to play with who was obsessed with wearing 10 and was the coaches son so I had to wear 12 or he would cry, what a twat. Can't believe it still happens in pro rugby.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Watching the replay To'omua has spent a lot of time at flyhalf and the Brumbies have looked better for it. Good ball movement and more organised in the backs. Forwards looked disorganised often though.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
What's the deal with Speight?

He looks like he should be a genuine flying wing, but seems to spend all of his time working back in field through traffic. Either give him a 13 jersey or piss him off.

Chauncey

Peter Burge (5)
Looks Like Tarzan Plays Like Jane!

What is it with Chisholm?

The guy looks like he could move a mountain but usually ends up getting owned by the opposition half back.

I've never seen a less effective use of size and strength.

I am sure he is a great bloke but FFS

This general lack of "mongrel" is 90% of Australian rugby's problems.

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
One of the funnier moments of the match was when Justin Marshall (I think) praised the athletic physique of Chisholm, who consequently got hammered backwards on his ass.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I actually thought the Brumbies were not too bad. Sure, with that amount of ball they ought to have won, but they maintained some good continuity at times, the backs looked far better balanced with Gitaeu mainly at 12, and Lealiifano and To'omua swapping around. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) totally wasted though. I saw why Giteau is rated highly by many overseas opponents. The glaring weakness was the breakdown work, where they got phases going well at times, but more often failed to compete enough with the Highlanders who obviously place great stock in the counter-ruck. If the Brumbies showed that level of application, in general, from week to week they would not be 1 from 6.
Chisolm is just a complete mystery - it was embarrassing to see him get owned so badly by Thomson, who is a fine player, but there is no way a man of his size carrying the ball forward should be so easily smashed backwards 7m by a lighter opponent in such a way. He just never gets through anyone. He is like Sharpe-light from 3 years ago - run forward and fall over (at best) or fall backwards (more often). Maybe the massive guns shunt too much blood from his heart and legs for him to generate any leg drive?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Brumbies played their best game this season imo.

Not many teams can win in Invercargill. Give them credit. The Tahs would not have won that game either.

Been complaining about Chisholm for yonks, can't think of a bigger bloke in world rugby, can't think of a softer one too.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Chislomn along with a load of other aussie forwards go into tackles with way too much body height and not enough leg drive.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Thomson has raw boned strength - Chis is a big beef cake - world of difference - all top forwards have that seemingly invisible strength - shake their hands and you know straight away who is strong. Is there a difference between lean muscle (that you associate with shearers for instance) or fat muscle (all those gym junkies) - Bruce?? Or is there a mental component to all of this?

C

CanadianRugby

What a confusing game. Brumbies just looked like they were assaulting the Highlanders for most of the game, yet finished the game behind. I thought the ponies back were mostly excellent, constant movement and going forward all the time. But the defense was bad and the forwards were disappointing. Huia Edmonds is basically a waste of space. Time to start looking toward next year.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I feel sorry for the Ponies - they might not have deserved to win, but they easily could have. In the after match interview Giteau was asked whether poor goal kicking was a factor, and his answer was very non-committal. Fark. If he kicked those first two penalties it might have made a huge difference.

To'omua's two efforts in kicking the ball dead were the lowlights of the game, for me. Once is bad enough, but twice?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The Brumbies look like they're playing with no confidence. There seems to be some self-doubt lurking around in the backs of their minds which is just stopping them from 'clicking'.....thought they were pretty good last night and apart from his goal kicking - Gits looked good too.

Status
Not open for further replies.