• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Kings - Super Rugby R8 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

humanbeast

Ted Fahey (11)
Thought the brumbies looked very flat, white was battling to clear the ball. They need fardy and carter back in the row, get rid of kimlin and get To'omua and Mogg back ASAP

yourmatesam

Desmond Connor (43)
The Kings were unlucky not to get a win against the Brumbies, their defence was sensational tonight. I thought their #7 was their best player and he put on some solid hits.

I think the Brumbies body height into contact was generally poor tonight, particularly from Auelua. Having said that, the Kings were able to hold players up in the tackle very well.

McCabe played well but I think the Brumbies needed to box kick, kick to the corners or play from side to side more often tonight. The King's kicking game was pretty poor tonight and a good option would have been to punch the corners more often with a strong kick-chase.

Look out next week for the Kings to belt the Rebels.

Sidbarret

Fred Wood (13)
The last few weeks they've been lacking in attack. Where is the devastating stuff they put together against the Sharks and Tahs? It can't be all Mogg, or can it? Hopefully this is a bump in the road, because I still think they're the most complete Aussie side. But only just.

The waratahs are languishing at amongst the also-rans and, though the brumbies very good, the sharks were truly awful in the first half of against the brumbies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I like Ben Alexander. Easy for me to say at the moment, I know, I'm not a peeved Brumbies supporter.

With the the Wallabies frequently maligned up front he has regularly delivered at the national level in the last 12 months or so.

Gotta sympathize with any forward who's interviewed at half-time by Fox, as Alexander was tonight; (I actually sympathize with backs in the same situation). Given how passionate he was in that half-time interview he was the last bloke I expected to be the Brumbies' fall guy. Yet it was he who dropped the ball early in the 2nd half during a promising raid near the 22 & the villain of the late no arms tackle. I envisage that Alexander will lead the way in the coming weeks.

You could just as easily blame Mowen for not taking the points on half time for the Brumbies not being in front at the end. So, yeah, it's not right to just single out Alexander.

But I don't think he's really delivered at national level as a scrummager. Other aspects of his game were good but he's not the starting answer.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Let me guess, the Brumbies are going to bounce back with a redeeming quality performance next week.. great, just great.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The Brumbies looked very flat in that match and in the end it cost them. They have played 4 matches against South African teams in a row and each game has been very physical up front, as you'd expect from SA teams.

The Kings were outstanding in their defensive work and made a real habit of trying to hold the Brumbies ball runners up off the ground but if they couldn't do that they then slowed the Brumbies ball down very well. Their line speed defence was also very good even though they played very narrow at times.

The Brumbies will need to step it up over the next 2 weeks with big away games against the Highlanders and Reds

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Why is Ben mocking the Kings 3 after that scrum? You got the penalty against 7 men you muppet.

He does that way too often. He comes across as really arrogant, both on the field and in interviews.

In the end karma got him as his actions cost the Brumbies the win.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Laurie Fisher said after the Stormers loss that this will be the making of this team. Since then they have put two sub standard performances in and both at home. Teams seemed to have worked them out and the Brumbies seem to be lacking answers.

Well done Kings. the back end of the game is their issue and they took a huge step to rectify that tonight. Whitehead did a good job at 10 I thought.

I questioned to a mate a few weeks ago whether the brumbies had that 'extra gear' to make an impact in the finals. I didn't expect them to show their extra gear was actually reverse!

They will pick it back up, but need to show a lot more in attack in particular. McCabe either to the bench or 13 is the key change.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Anyone want to venture at some objective player ratings using our patented system?

G&GR Patented Player ratings scale

10 – A legendary performance to go down in the history books
9 – Outstanding performance: Man of the match shoo-in
8 – Excellent all-round game
7 – Good game with a few sparkles
6 – Solid performance
5 – Average – ho hum
4 – Below par
3 – Had a bad game
2 – Tell your story walking pal
1 – A complete joke

nathan

Darby Loudon (17)
1. Ben A - 3
2. Siliva Siliva - 4
3. Dan Palmer - 5
4. Peter Kimlin - 4
5. Ooostiheizennnnnn - 5
6. Ben Mowen - 4
7. George Smith - 6
8. Fotu Auela - 4
9. Nic White - 7
10. Lilo - 6
11. Tomane - 8
12. McCabe - 4
13. Kudriani - 5
14. Speight - 5
15. Coleman - 6

16. Moore - 6
17. Sio - 7
18. Carter - 6
19. Faainga - 6
20. Prior - N/A
21. Andrew Smith - 6
22. Holmes - N/A

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
van der Walt (the 7) - 9 or 10. He was incredible. I don't think I've ever seen someone make more massive tackles and get his forward pack dominating more than he did.

du Preez (the 8) - 8 or 9. Immense game, two tries including a massive effort to score the try that led to the tie.

For the Brumbies, I'd probably give Tomane a 7, maybe an 8 and everyone else would be lower.

Should be plenty of 3s and 4s.

M10

Stan Wickham (3)
Mowen either needs to learn when to opt for shots at goal versus when to go for tries/field position/pressure, or be replaced as captain. The decisions to go for goals when 3 points wasn't enough to get the result needed reminded very much of the Blues game last year. There the team needed more than 3 points to get in bonus point range, but with only about 10 minutes to go he was still opting for the posts. In this game, a try would have sealed it, but he was still opting for unlikely shots at goal. Dumb football.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Mowen either needs to learn when to opt for shots at goal versus when to go for tries/field position/pressure, or be replaced as captain. The decisions to go for goals when 3 points wasn't enough to get the result needed reminded very much of the Blues game last year. There the team needed more than 3 points to get in bonus point range, but with only about 10 minutes to go he was still opting for the posts. In this game, a try would have sealed it, but he was still opting for unlikely shots at goal. Dumb football.

Are you serious?

If they'd gone for a try with 10 minutes to go and not scored it, they'd have probably lost.

You should never turn down an opportunity to go from 4 points up to 7 points up in the closing stages of a match.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
1. Ben A - 3
2. Siliva Siliva - 4
3. Dan Palmer - 5
4. Peter Kimlin - 4
5. Ooostiheizennnnnn - 5
6. Ben Mowen - 4
7. George Smith - 6
8. Fotu Auela - 4
9. Nic White - 7
10. Lilo - 6
11. Tomane - 8
12. McCabe - 4
13. Kudriani - 5
14. Speight - 5
15. Coleman - 6

16. Moore - 6
17. Sio - 7
18. Carter - 6
19. Faainga - 6
20. Prior - N/A
21. Andrew Smith - 6
22. Holmes - N/A

Need a line of reasoning for each

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Disagree completely, I thought they kicked to the corner too often

Take the points people, keep the scoreboard ticking over and you create the pressure as they have to play catch up - then the tries will happen

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sorry, Braveheart, the Kings defence positively proved you wrong. Not that the Brumbies' one out runners put a lot of pressure on them for most of the game.

After that display by the Kings, I am completely happy to eat my words. Their defence was immense.

Status
Not open for further replies.