• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Rebels Rnd 8 Super Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
2 weeks out, however thought it worthwhile to start some discussion, and convince some last minute travelers.

Hopefully Cipriani, Inman, Kingi, even Mortlock! Will be back. Don't like our chances, it won't stop me though.

I'm driving up for this, with a stopover in Albury on Friday night. Should be in the capital about lunch time and at the pub from 3pm.

Pre-game details:
Where: Wig & Pen (http://g.co/maps/wg29a)
When: Saturday April 14, 3pm onwards
Additional: It's just off Northbourne Ave. You'll have to take a Taxi or Bus to the ground.

At the game:
Similar to last year, the active supporters & Rebel Army will be at one of the ends. Last year it was the south. This year we'll be in the north, which is close to the "away bay". An attempt to lure others.

So purchase a general admission ticket. Arrangements will be made with the stadium in relation to banners etc. If you'd like to bring any, let me know via PM.

The away bay is a crock of shit and overpriced. So we recommend you join supporters in the north end, we shouldn't be too hard to find.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Injuries from last night: Weeks and Freier.

Should have scans today to confirm the extent. Weeks popped his shoulder, but it went back in.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Weeks could be out for the season, Freier 50/50. We could see Eddie Aholelei & Luke Holmes on the bench.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Eddie better go straight to the run on, otherwise the scrum will be owned by the Brumbies. Blake was OK to good in the open but his scrummaging was worse than Daleys (and that's not a very nice thing to say about a LHP).

Rob

Sydney Middleton (9)
Eddie better go straight to the run on, otherwise the scrum will be owned by the Brumbies. Blake was OK to good in the open but his scrummaging was worse than Daleys (and that's not a very nice thing to say about a LHP).

Agree totally. Blake's scrummaging was appalling. Weeks was not much better. Rebels should go and spend money on some front rowers as a top priority.

Cant believe Daley gets so much positive press. He is an awful scrummager as well.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Agree totally. Blake's scrummaging was appalling. Weeks was not much better. Rebels should go and spend money on some front rowers as a top priority.

Cant believe Daley gets so much positive press. He is an awful scrummager as well.
Nar nar nar, Pocock! That's what everyone is saying. Got hijacked by a Scotsman on Thursday night, wouldn't stop crapping on about Pocock and how we should get him.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)

Yeah, they should totally go try and get the best new talent in tight head prop that we've seen in ages.... what was his name? Alo Emile? Oh wait...

More accurately, the Rebels could certainly do worse than securing a quality hooker option. Ged has been quality for the franchise, but his time there is limited.

Nar nar nar, Pocock! That's what everyone is saying. Got hijacked by a Scotsman on Thursday night, wouldn't stop crapping on about Pocock and how we should get him.

A top class 7 would also be a good get for the Rebels, so they're not too far off.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This is a must-win game for the Brumbies...

They've just missed 2 excellent opportunities to clear away from the pack in the Australian conference with close losses to the Sharks and Reds.

After this week they have a tough few weeks with a trip to South Africa where they face the Bulls (and then the Lions), and then have to front up against the Tahs after they get back.

Hooper must start this week. It's pretty clear that he's vital to their chances of winning games.

Robbie Coleman might be back and could return to fullback which would push Mogg to the wing.

If Coleman is fit I'd be playing him off the bench. And I prefer Mogg at fullback due to his size.

Whatever happens Tomane has hopefully cemented his spot on the wing after last week. Tough on Speight, but Tomane has lifted his game.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Whatever happens Tomane has hopefully cemented his spot on the wing after last week. Tough on Speight, but Tomane has lifted his game.
I thought that the previous week, why wasn't Tomane starting? I mean Speight has been alright but Tomane has been one of the best wingers in the Australian conference. Got that bit of x-factor that Speight doesn't. I actually really like the looks of Tomane, Wallaby squad bolter?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Until last week (despite his 2 tries against the Highlanders), Tomane was fairly absent...

It's probably taken some time to get back into the rhythm of the game, and it's only the past couple of weeks that he's finally been looking for work...

G

Gollum

I'm feeling good about this game, the Rebels are in with a real chance.

Provided the forwards can lay a solid platform I think the rebels backline will get the job done. The backline is much more defensively sound with Inman at 13 and if the rebels can get a decent amount of possession the tries will come.

I think the rebels also have a distinct kicking advantage with Cips, JOC (James O'Connor), beale and gerrard all having reliable boots.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I'm actually taking the Rebels in this one, I reckon they can get up given what I've seen from them in their wins this season. THey stepped up immensley last week.

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think that it is not entirely outside the realms of possibilities that the Rebels could get up for this one........ however it is in Canberra. I actually think that the Brums will be able to get up as well. Heads or Tails. Your call.....

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
The challenge for the Rebs will be, as it has been every week, playing 80 minutes. Even in their wins against the Force and Blues, they didn't do that, and found themselves leaking points, specifically early in the second halves. The Brumbies will be just as unforgiving to any mistakes, likely even more so.

The great thing about the Blues match was the Rebels taking the match back by the scruff of the neck, the first time I've seen them do that. Even at the start of this year against the Waratahs, they were a very easy team to discourage. One or two tries and the heads were down. The Blues match showed that was changing, but they'll need to have that attitude against the Brumbies at home, who will start quick.

Inman was incredible at 13, you could see the difference he made to the back structure - to the point where there's no room for Mortlock in that team with Inman in form. I'd put Kingi on the wing instead of Gerrard - MG was amazing but it's too much to ask for him to go another 80 in such a hard running position. Half-time swap, perhaps?

Brumbies within a try...I think. A Rebel win will be down to attitude alone - they need to play like they're playing for finals, in our conference it's still a huge chance.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
One thing can be guaranteed, our scrum will be rubbish. Lineouts should be fine, provided we throw straight.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
The challenge for the Rebs will be, as it has been every week, playing 80 minutes. Even in their wins against the Force and Blues, they didn't do that, and found themselves leaking points, specifically early in the second halves. The Brumbies will be just as unforgiving to any mistakes, likely even more so.
It's almost the reverse of last year at times. We were rubbish for the first 20, then the mental switch would go.

G

Gollum

Inman was incredible at 13, you could see the difference he made to the back structure - to the point where there's no room for Mortlock in that team with Inman in form. I'd put Kingi on the wing instead of Gerrard - MG was amazing but it's too much to ask for him to go another 80 in such a hard running position. Half-time swap, perhaps?

Couldn't agree more re Inman. Even if Mortlock was fit he wouldn't break into this backline.

I don't agree with putting kingi on the wing though. Gerrard has been immense so far and his long range touch finders could prove crucial in the early stages. By all means use kingi as cover for the outside backs but I think his only starting position is 9, and even then I think Phipps did enough to retain the 9 jersey for this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.