• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Tahs trial

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Been thinking it for a while now, but giving a shout out to Hawera.

Didn't think much chop of him when he first came over, but his season last year for the Brumbies, then the NRC etc, i've started to see a bit in him.

He has a huge boot for a 10, has developed some very soft hands and a decent enough long passing/running game. Usually puts his pass out in front of the receiver, even if he is prone to interception a bit. Tackles well enough, cant really say i've noticed a liability there. Best of all, he's grown up playing kiwi style rugby and now has McKeller seemingly determined to restore us back to the early 2000's style of play letting him have a crack and just play rugby.

His leadership though, is probably what's caught my eye. Seems like every time there is a halt in play and a team huddle or something, he's the one in the middle giving the orders when Lilo or The Cock etc aren't on.

I reckon we're onto something.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
The Brumbies' initial squad had more probable Super starters than the Tahs and it showed in the game. But once it got down to the reserves for the reserves, the Tahs were able to benefit from the lack of cohesion in the Brumbies' side.

Good performers for the Brumbies were Sam Carter (playing with quite a high level of aggression currently), the scrum and especially the run-on front row, Rob Valetini, and Irae Simone. The early lineouts were abysmal. Simone has a huge boot on him and can make big metres kicking for touch. The combinations in the starting backline were quite good for this early in the season, but the flair from the end of 2018 was mostly missing.

Disappointed with Lucas - he disrupted the attack when he came on with poor decisions and slow service from the back of the ruck. JJH was often caught out of position at fullback and didn't do anything to suggest he should be a starter in the season proper. I also thought Hawera had a stronger game at 10 than Christian, and is certainly a better goal kicker. Not sure if our captain is going to be a certain starter on this form.

The Tahs were well served by Holloway and Dempsey while he was on. Hunt and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were solid but imo were both outplayed by Simone and Wright. Will Miller got a lot of plaudits from the commentary team but I have to say I really didn't notice him out there. Will Harrison seems to have come on a lot from his poor efforts in the NRC last year. The scrum was outmuscled by the Brumbies and the lineout defense had problems on occasions. In a real match, I would have expected a couple of YCs for continued infringements after Brumbies' lineouts wins near the tryline.

I thought Gardner controlled the match well.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Hunt high, tackling again... league style

Hawera looking good in trials.... Simone and Wright looking sharp too running those old tahs centres around last night.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Surprised to see the Tahs take this so close

I was watching bits of the game and the Tahs shape and intent wasn't too bad

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Brumbies' initial squad had more probable Super starters than the Tahs and it showed in the game. But once it got down to the reserves for the reserves, the Tahs were able to benefit from the lack of cohesion in the Brumbies' side.

Good performers for the Brumbies were Sam Carter (playing with quite a high level of aggression currently), the scrum and especially the run-on front row, Rob Valetini, and Irae Simone. The early lineouts were abysmal. Simone has a huge boot on him and can make big metres kicking for touch. The combinations in the starting backline were quite good for this early in the season, but the flair from the end of 2018 was mostly missing.

Disappointed with Lucas - he disrupted the attack when he came on with poor decisions and slow service from the back of the ruck. JJH was often caught out of position at fullback and didn't do anything to suggest he should be a starter in the season proper. I also thought Hawera had a stronger game at 10 than Christian, and is certainly a better goal kicker. Not sure if our captain is going to be a certain starter on this form.

The Tahs were well served by Holloway and Dempsey while he was on. Hunt and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were solid but imo were both outplayed by Simone and Wright. Will Miller got a lot of plaudits from the commentary team but I have to say I really didn't notice him out there. Will Harrison seems to have come on a lot from his poor efforts in the NRC last year. The scrum was outmuscled by the Brumbies and the lineout defense had problems on occasions. In a real match, I would have expected a couple of YCs for continued infringements after Brumbies' lineouts wins near the tryline.

I thought Gardner controlled the match well.

I assume you write your match reviews before you watch the game?

Carter - strong
Simone - good
Front row - especially good
Lucas - bad
JJH - didn't do anything

Blackadder

Desmond Connor (43)
Surprised to see the Tahs take this so close

I was watching bits of the game and the Tahs shape and intent wasn't too bad

I was worried too especially with the forwards dominance of the Brumbies but some of the younger guys really had a go. I think Swinton will be one to watch

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I was worried too especially with the forwards dominance of the Brumbies but some of the younger guys really had a go. I think Swinton will be one to watch

It was essentially a starting side vs the dirt trackers in the pigs in a trial

We don't know the work load in the week etc etc

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
It was essentially a starting side vs the dirt trackers in the pigs in a trial

We don't know the work load in the week etc etc

Sio, Ala'alatoa and Pocock to come back in. Good bit of improvement still to come I'd say.

Better get used to the dirt trackers FP, because with at least 10 Wallabies in the side, the Tahs are going to be missing a lot of their star performers over the course of the coming season.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Ha ha. Just can't get enough of this humour. Funny!

I ask Reg again, how would he rate the game and the various individuals of note performances?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I did not watch the trial but on the Foketi comment - previous media had communicated he was the preferred starting 13 which in many ways if capability makes more sense than say an AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) who is bound to piss off next year given age and chasing dollars stage of his career......hence for me why see AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 but when Foketi returns AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) shifting to the wing.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yep Tahs signing centres only over 32 this year... that’s coaching material... help’n out Chekia?