• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Brumbies vs Waratahs Super Rugby Rd11 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Waylon

The Brumbies didn't want Elsom this year because he was crocked

Elsom is a quality bloke and can't be accused of not giving 100% everytime he takes the field

Chronic hamstring injuries end careers or at the very least affect speed and ability and limit appearances.

The Tahs just aren't very clever

.........by the way, what ill wind blows at the Tahs? Biggest Union, magnificent club rugby system, well established high quality schoolboy systems, a huge sponsor pool, a magnificent stadium to play in............the joint is an embarrassment

The ARU should hold an inquiry

PS well done Brumbies. Gotta love a team of young go getters punching above their weight

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
First half was an absorbing contest. Waratahs had the better of territory and possession - though the Brumbies looked relatively 'composed' in defence. At times it seemed the Brumbies didn't contest the breakdown enough but I guess the plan was to absorb the Waratahs 1st half pressure. The try after the half time hooter was important.... but only insofar as how each team began the 2nd half

Because the first score in the 2nd half would be critical.

The waratahs try line defence (by the forwards) just before the Brumbies 2nd try was very impressive. It was a critical few minutes. At the time I thought if the Brumbies don't score, then mental advantage to the Waratahs - but it was the Brumbies mental discipline (albeit in the face of determined Waratahs defence) that literally got them over the line for the vital try.

From that point on, the Brumbies had the mental egde for the remainder of the game. Overall, the Waratahs put in a strong, determined performance - but they just came up against an outfit that plays hard, plays smart, maintains pressure, and doesn't crack mentally.

I feeling good about the Brumbies - best I felt for years

F

floater

Thanks Brumbies, that was great rugby.

Such a shame for Lealifano, was so solid, To'omua is good but Christian just seems to glide through bringing the team with him.

As for Rocky, I don't like the booing, but I admit I joined in, perhaps he was wrong time wrong place, but the Brumbies before and after Elsom, were and are so much better than when he was here. I may have it wrong, but check the end game and see what looked like a cheap shot, that says it all. He is a shadow of what he was.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Very unfortunate for CL. I really like how he's stepped up this year. It's a good model IMO that here was a young guy touted highly as a junior, was fast tracked to play 10, didn't really measure up (and fair enough not many do), so found his feet in less "pressure" positions ie 12 and stints at 15. This all knowing that his real goal was to get back to 10 and now that he has matured as a player he is delivering consistently.

I think he would have been a bench option at the very least.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Thanks Brumbies, that was great rugby.

Such a shame for Lealifano, was so solid, To'omua is good but Christian just seems to glide through bringing the team with him.

As for Rocky, I don't like the booing, but I admit I joined in, perhaps he was wrong time wrong place, but the Brumbies before and after Elsom, were and are so much better than when he was here. I may have it wrong, but check the end game and see what looked like a cheap shot, that says it all. He is a shadow of what he was.

I don't blame Rocky for the Brumbies troubles but I just can't respect that he was nowhere to be found when they need leadership the most. If he can't play due to injury fine but their are other ways of contributing to the effort.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Nick White was massive. Both he and Mogg have a very accurate boot with their kicking in general play.

I'd rather have accurate kickers over guys with a big boot any day. Of course players with both are ideal. But it's better to be able to consistently put the ball far away from the opposition's cover than it is to be able to simply kick the ball far away from yourself.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I meant to post at the time, somebody has to have a look at serious protocols regarding treatment of players who have apparently been knocked unconscious or concussed. TPN was clearly knocked out after his attempted tackle on McAbe. I saw him in back play try to get up and stumble two steps to fall face first into the turf. He then plays on!!! Yes we know he is as tough as teak but FFS where is the duty of care from the officials and Tahs medicos. If they didn't see that somebody should've told them as it is directly relevent to the condition of their charge. If it had been boxing the ref would have called a TKO.

I also posted a few weeks ago that unless TPN moderates and refines his tackling technique he will shorten his career by years and I am beginning to think ruin his quality of life after Rugby.

Gnostic, I'm convinced this 'abusive' over-playing of TPN in these situations arises from the fact that the Tahs coaches inwardly know that their fortunes actually rely, and over rely, on a handful of forwards, without whom the entire ship cracks and leaks to death. It's actually a form of betraying their low level of confidence in their total player, and perhaps playing, capability. And this quiet fear leads to the abusive over-playing of TPN that you point to.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Tonight Nic White firstly 'looked' then kicked with purpose - really good to see this come into his game tonight. I think there was only one aimless 'no look' box kick - but the rest were absolute beauties because he:

1. moved quickly away from the break down

2. sized up the situation

3. kicked to positions of space, or deep into the opponents half.

Hope he can keep developing this part of his game.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Apparently it is a compound fracture to Lilo's ankle (soz if someone already mentioned it earlier). Absolutely devastating for Lilo & the Brumbies & by extension their chances this year in Super Rugby & for the Wallabies. I still think the Brumbies can be a threat in the finals but I rate losing Lilo as a huge blow to their chances IMO :(

I thought all across the park the Brumbies were fantastic. Others seem to disagree with me but I thought Barnes worked his butt off for the Tahs tonight but just on the whole the Tahs just didn't turn up any of the form from their prior week against the Saders. Good runs from Mumm too on a few occasions.

TBH I like Phil Kearns but he used the injury excuse last week when the Tahs played my boys & frankly its getting old. They have enough good players to win but they played poorly, worse than last week.

Country Kid

Chris McKivat (8)
Must admit I'm amazed at the quality of the Waratahs team notwithstanding the injury toll.

When the teams were introduced on telly before the game - I thought OMG, the Waratahs have so much size and strength in the forward pack. How could the Brumbies contain them? I sought consolaltion in the recent memory of how the Brumbies matched the Bulls forwards.

In the first half, I reckon the Waratah forwards had the edge - not by much. They are good.

But somehow the Brumbies forwards are able able to absorb the pressure of big, skillful forwards packs (Bulls, Waratahs) and as the game wears on, they win the breakdown contest :)

Paddysboy

Stan Wickham (3)
I tend to agree re CL. It's the best season he's played and the confidence he's shown has been infectious for the backline and the team in general. I'm not a Brumbies fan (though the rest of my house is) but the way he has shone was pretty impressive and got me admitting he might even score a Wallaby cap or two, albeit off the bench. Now that's buggered for the year and with both he and To'omua gone, I don't know who plays 10 next week. Just looked at their squad and they don't have any other fly-halves. Hmmm........

F

floater

Hopefully the same that has happened all season to the White Brumbies, they play together, they really seem tight. After hand shakes they all went to CL and hung with him a bit.

To be honest, it dosen't bother me what happens for the rest of this season, they have all proved themselves, way beyond what anyone had given them. I have pride wearing my Brumbies shirts!

What happened last season, I can't remember anymore! I also wasn't that crazy about Jake White, but I know why he knocked back England, he wants the Wallabies job. Although I wasn't keen on foreign coaches, this bloke must have something, and I wouldn't mind so much.

People also said that he didn't like attack, maybe Bernie has got to him..

Loving Rugby again!

M

Moono75

Brumbies cam out and owned the Tahs. Tahs tried too hard, Brumbies stayed composed and picked them off when the opportunity was there. Speight turning into a try scoring machine. Polota Nau just too gutsy for his own good.

Paddysboy

Stan Wickham (3)
I also recall the 'king of rugby insight' - Greg Clarke, suggesting at the start of the season that the Brumbies would struggle because he didn't think the young blokes would listen to Jake as he wouldn't be able to relate to them. Good call genius. it is interesting though, the amount of Brumbies fans I talk to who have managed to block out last year....... Good to see them going well though and it seems that when the Brumbies are going well, the Wallabies don't go too badly either, so it's all good. I wonder if Coleman can play 10.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
The Waratahs I thought were the better of the two in terms of buildup and phase play, it was just their execution that let them down.
They made numerous linebreaks but tried the miracle ball instead of holding onto it. I thought they blew a chance when after 14 phases and a scrum on the Brumbies line, they opted for 3 points instead of going for 5.

The only times the Brumbies scored their tries was in the crucial period before and after halftime and was the result of some concentration lapses and unfortunately both times Adam Ashley-Cooper was involved.

The other times the Brumbies were attacking they were able to keep them out and even got turnovers or penalties as a result. So as much as I dislike the Tahs, I thought they should have been closer or even won that match.

M

Moono75

The Waratahs I thought were the better of the two in terms of buildup and phase play, it was just their execution that let them down.
They made numerous linebreaks but tried the miracle ball instead of holding onto it. I thought they blew a chance when after 14 phases and a scrum on the Brumbies line, they opted for 3 points instead of going for 5.

The only times the Brumbies scored their tries was in the crucial period before and after halftime and was the result of some concentration lapses and unfortunately both times Adam Ashley-Cooper was involved.

The other times the Brumbies were attacking they were able to keep them out and even got turnovers or penalties as a result. So as much as I dislike the Tahs, I thought they should have been closer or even won that match.
Sign of a good team. Can come through and deliver even when the run of play is going against them. I agree the Tahs had the run of the play for a good part of the match put couldn't seal it. Brumby Jack don't be an apologist for the Tahs they just didn't get it done.....just enjoy the ride with the Brumbies into the finals.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I thought the Tahs forward pack played better and Barnes stepped his game up but just about every time he passed, the receiving player was standing flat-footed. The commentators wanged on about the attacking flair Turner and Mitchell could have provided, but my view is that it wsn't just the wingers but every Tahs players at 11 to 15 were a liability in attack and ordinary in defence. McKibbin's passing was also a bit ordinary and I would have thought that Pretorius should have been subbed earlier.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
And well done to the Brumbies. I wasn't that impressed by Lilo tonight (hope he isn't hurt too bad) but White's kicking, passing and general play was sensational. The entire backline combined well together as opposed to the Tahs' backline who looked like they met each other five minutes before kick-off.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That was a wonderful game from the Brumbies and their fans must have been over the moon when the final siren blew, if not before.

But after it we saw the bill from the devil - the injury to Leali'ifano: out for the season.

I gave him a wrap earlier in the tournament and remarked that few others were doing so. After the trip to the RSA many folks were recalibrating their opinion of him, and so they should have.

But when the commentators thought, after the siren, that the serious looking injury was to Vaea, and then I saw him on the TV chatting to other players, I reflected on who else had a brown arm, and I feared the worst.

It was Christian, surely the best flyhalf in the land at the minute: one who would would get some kind of gig from Deans against Wales.

Being a refined person when sober, I did not utter the universal expletive, but I retrieved something apposite from some part of my brain.

I concocted my username in the forum from my abiding fascination with the American Civil War and a deep appreciation of the two great generals in the struggle: Lee and Grant.

When the commentators said it was, after all, Leali'ífano who was injured, I thought of Lee after Gettysburg where he had butchered Pickett's division by sending it up Cemetery Ridge, aptly named, as it turned out. He later remarked about the incident to a general who had to cover his retreat to the Potomac: "Too bad!! Too bad !! Oh, too bad!!"

Life moves on for injured rugby players, but that is how I feel for Christian at the minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.