• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bulls vs Highlanders - Introducing Steve Hofmeyers greatest hits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Teams:

Bulls: 15 Jürgen Visser, 14 Akona Ndungane, 13 JJ Engelbrecht, 12 Jan Serfontein, 11 Lionel Mapoe, 10 Morné Steyn, 9 Francois Hougaard, 8 Pierre Spies (Captain), 7 Dewald Potgieter, 6 Deon Stegmann, 5 Juandre Kruger, 4 Flip van der Merwe, 3 Frik Kirsten, 2 Chiliboy Ralepelle, 1 Morné Mellett.
Replacements: 16 Callie Visagie, 17 Werner Kruger, 18 Grant Hattingh, 19 Arno Botha, 20 Jano Vermaak, 21 Louis Fouché, 22 Bjorn Basson.

Highlanders: 15 Ben Smith, 14 Tino Nemani, 13 Tamati Ellison, 12 Shaun Treeby, 11 Hosea Gear, 10 Colin Slade, 9 Aaron Smith, 8 Mose Tuiali’i, 7 John Hardie, 6 Joe Wheeler, 5 Jarrad Hoeata, 4 Brad Thorn, 3 Chris King, 2 Andrew Hore (Captain), 1 Jamie Mackintosh.
Replacements: 16 Liam Coltman, 17 Tony Woodcock, 18 Elliot Dixon, 19 TJ Ioane, 20 Fumiaki Tanaka, 21 Hayden Parker, 22 Jason Emery.

Referee: Jaco Peyper (South Africa
Assistant referees: Stuart Berry (South Africa), Attie Buitendag (South Africa)
TMO: Johan Greeff (South Africa)

That guy from Hangover movie made his way onto Highlanders bench - this shit getting too weird, I need to find a new sport

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Just fucking disgraceful, absolutely disgraceful. TMO's heads need to roll this week.

This one was just borderline cheating from the TMO. 29 players went back to the knock on, disillusioned with the shit refereeing this year. I'm becoming a broken record with this every week.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
Just fucking disgraceful, absolutely disgraceful. TMO's heads need to roll this week.

This one was just borderline cheating from the TMO. 29 players went back to the knock on, disillusioned with the shit refereeing this year. I'm becoming a broken record with this every week.
I had a theory about it yesterday.

Spoes goes over and this is getting ugly now. 30 - 6

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Illegal mauling.. guess that's not a problem. Bullshit commentators.

No worries, though, TMO comes up with another shocker.. that was one placement.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
For god sake there is no double movement in rugby. Personally I thought it could go either way, but if you are going to rule he didn't ground the ball correctly, get the law right guys. You're on TV!

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
For god sake there is no double movement in rugby. Personally I thought it could go either way, but if you are going to rule he didn't ground the ball correctly, get the law right guys. You're on TV!
Its jargon mate. Same with swimming up the side, Sealing etc etc

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Why do you say it is illegal mauling?

They broke off a seperate pod, guy handed off the ball to the guy behind him, then he took contact. Straight obstruction, simple. Commentators came up with 'had his hands on the ball', but they were just full of it. The guy behind was holding the ball.

Knock-on during a ruck? He shouldn't have had his hands on it.. and he's been giving us yellow card warnings.

Have assistant coaches ever been sacked during a game? We should really be setting that precedent with whoever's 'guiding' our back line.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Its jargon mate. Same with swimming up the side, Sealing etc etc

Yeah it's a hard one to convey without using terminology like that. But at the same time it's not helpful when TMO's of all people are pushing misconceptions about the law.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
They broke off a seperate pod, guy handed off the ball to the guy behind him, then he took contact. Straight obstruction, simple. Commentators came up with 'had his hands on the ball', but they were just full of it. The guy behind was holding the ball.
Firstly was it a maul?

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
No ACR is right. If the defending team breaks off a maul then there can't be obstruction. But if the attacking team branches off in a pod then the ball has left the maul and technically we are in general play again. If the ball carrier is not accessible then it is a "truck and trailer" obstruction.

Mind you, it's easy to ref lineouts from your TV..

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Bulls winning a physical and messy contest. It was 30-6 for most of the second half but the Highlanders just got a try back.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
No ACR is right. If the defending team breaks off a maul then there can't be obstruction. But if the attacking team branches off in a pod then the ball has left the maul and technically we are in general play again. If the ball carrier is not accessible then it is a "truck and trailer" obstruction.

Mind you, it's easy to ref lineouts from your TV..

The concern about “truck and trailer” is not about the ball being one or two players back from the ball-carrier when the maul is moving forward, as that replicates a scrum. Binding. Grasping another player’s body firmly between shoulders and the hips with the whole arm in contact from hand to shoulder.
If the ball-carrier does not bind in this way, the maul is considered to be over and its truck and trailing.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
That try saved me $110. TMO, I finally thwart your BS.

The concern about “truck and trailer” is not about the ball being one or two players back from the ball-carrier when the maul is moving forward, as that replicates a scrum. Binding. Grasping another player’s body firmly between shoulders and the hips with the whole arm in contact from hand to shoulder.
If the ball-carrier does not bind in this way, the maul is considered to be over and its truck and trailing.
Yeah, it wasn't truck and trailer, it was obstruction. They broke off from the maul in a sort of tripod, all connected. Front guy initially had the ball, all good, but he passed to the guy behind him before a defender made contact with him. Thus he just plain old obstructed. This was in the lead up to the Bulls (wrongly) IMO disallowed try. It shouldn't have got that far though.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
What was the deal with the TMO in this match? I missed the first half so hard to gauge how bad it was

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Players branching off from the maul, raised some questions about obstruction. Doesn't really matter the Bulls were simply dominant at the set piece and around the ruck.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Players branching off from the maul, raised some questions about obstruction. Doesn't really matter the Bulls were simply dominant at the set piece and around the ruck.

Highlanders were shit again tonight, how they've managed to waste the talent in that squad is astounding. Disregarding the weaker forward pack, our back line starts out twenty metres behind the gain line and never makes it there. Just turned to poo this year, pretty much all of our tries are solo little darts.

While I think some of the ref and TMO decisions were just down right awful, it wouldn't have changed the result.

What was the deal with the TMO in this match? I missed the first half so hard to gauge how bad it was
He allowed a try off a clear Bulls forward pass/knock on. He took about 2 minutes to look at it as well, every player went back to the spot 70 metres up field.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
That try saved me $110. TMO, I finally thwart your BS.

Yeah, it wasn't truck and trailer, it was obstruction. They broke off from the maul in a sort of tripod, all connected. Front guy initially had the ball, all good, but he passed to the guy behind him before a defender made contact with him. Thus he just plain old obstructed. This was in the lead up to the Bulls (wrongly) IMO disallowed try. It shouldn't have got that far though.
If it wasn't a maul its obstruction. Agree. But you must remember such calls are hard at close quarters

Status
Not open for further replies.