• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bulls vs Stormers RD2 SR2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Friday night in the Bull ring. Get the brandy and cokes ready.

Bulls (# caps): Zane Kirchner (71), Lionel Mapoe (28), JJ Engelbrecht (17), Wynand Olivier (103), Bjorn Basson (42), Mornè Steyn (106), Francois Hougaard (45), Pierre Spies (89, c), Dewald Potgieter (54), Deon Stegmann (60), Juandrè Kruger (17), Flip van der Merwe (48),Werner Kruger (75), Chiliboy Ralepelle (52), Mornè Mellett (0). Replacements: Willie Wepener (53), Frik Kirsten (15), Grant Hattingh (9), Arno Botha (10), Jano Vermaak (88), Louis Fouchè (10), Francois Venter (8).

Stormers:
15 Jaco Taute, 14 Gio Aplon, 13 Jean de Villiers (captain), 12 Damian de Allende, 11 Bryan Habana, 10 Elton Jantjies, 9 Nic Groom, 8 Duane Vermeulen, 7 Rynhardt Elstadt, 6 Siya Kolisi, 5 Andries Bekker, 4 De Kock Steenkamp, 3 Pat Cilliers, 2 Deon Fourie, 1 Steven Kitshoff. Substitutes: 16 Martin Bezuidenhout, 17 Frans Malherbe, 18 Don Armand, 19 Nizaam Carr, 20 Dewaldt Duvenage, 21 Gerhard van den Heever, 22 Joe Pietersen.

Schalk Burger was due back after missing all of last year but has now pulled a calf muscle. Not looking good. The Stormers camp are talking up his recovery but I will believe it when I see him play a full match. Hope he makes it back though.

The big question is whether this Stormers team can improve their attack. They simply have to secure a home semi and final and to do that they have to get the bonus point wins this year else forget it. Cape fans will hope that the arrival of Jantjes at 10 and Taute at 15 will spark their back line. Also good to see them playing young Groom at 9. Duvenhage was a big part of their attacking problems. Great pass and defence but that's all he has.

I liked the look of De Allende in the bits and pieces I have seen of him. Not sure I like JdV at 13. Too slow. He will probably move back to 12 when JdJongh is available?

For my Bulls I see a very poor season ahead. Why? Because the coaches will persist with the old guard of Spies, M Steyn, Wynand Olivier, Kirchner, Dean Greyling and Werner Kruger. These are all players who have hardly adapted their game over the last year or two and it's time to move on. The Bulls have an incredibly exciting roster, having recruited a bunch of young tyros. Paarl can elaborate but there looks to be some serious talent in the cupboard.

I predict that by the time they start introducing the youngsters it will be too late. What should be happening is a spring clean and rebuilding but that's not the way it works in Pretoria. Maybe Victor Matfield will wield some influence now that he is officially part of the coaching team but time will tell. They need to change the front row, 10, 12, 13, 15 and figure out the best wing combo.

The thing I am most looking forward to this year from an SA perspective is how Jantjes and Taute will go now that they are part of a better organisation (they really were wasted at the Lions). I also look forward to the continued rise of Siya Kolisi at the Storminess and hope that Arno Botha gets game time in the back row for the Bulls. Look out for this guy. He is a beast.

Interesting (and sad) side note is that Francois Hougaard has withdrawn because of the funeral of Oscar Pistorius' girlfriend. Update: he is playing.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
This would seem to be a massive game in the context of the South African pool.

If the Bulls win at home it's probably business as usual for both teams (but certainly a fantastic start to the season for the Bulls) but if the Stormers get up they will really stamp themselves as the team to beat in South Africa.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I have tipped the Stormers for some of the reasons you mention Blue. They Bulls really need to start shedding some of the 'old guard' as you put it and bring some of the talent from the CC through. Now is the time to do it.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Cracker of a game to start the season! Agree with what BH said above - the Bulls are under more pressure to win given it's at Loftus. From all reports, the Bulls have sewn up a large majority of the talent coming out of the Junior Bok teams, hopefully we see some of that talent in action sooner rather than later!

As for your comment on Matfield below, do you not think that he may be part of the problem given that all of the 'dead wood' at the Bulls are his former teammates? In the case of Morne, Victor has often pushed his case for Bok selection in the media in the recent past so he clearly rates the way he plays and what he brings to a team from a tactical perspective. Same goes for Wynand.

I predict that by the time they start introducing the youngsters it will be too late. What should be happening is a spring clean and rebuilding but that's not the way it works in Pretoria. Maybe Victor Matfield will wield some influence now that he is officially part of the coaching team but time will tell. They need to change the front row, 10, 12, 13, 15 and figure out the best wing combo.

Time will tell I guess. Handre Pollard certainly has big wraps on him, so hopefully we see him get some decent game time in the early part of the season!

Sad news from a Bulls perspective that Francois Hougaard is unavailable this weekend. From all reports, he has been on fire in the pre-season trials. Hopefully this year he will be given more freedom to play his natural game and the Bulls (and Bok) coaching staff have realised that he is not Fourie du Preez and never will be!

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
As for your comment on Matfield below, do you not think that he may be part of the problem given that all of the 'dead wood' at the Bulls are his former teammates?

Yes but I live in hope because the rest of the coaches ain't dropping Moernaai any time soon.

I am preparing for migraines from banging my head on my desk.

Better get some Neurofen, yes that's it. I will officially call this the Bull's Neurofen Season. Hopefully it does not graduate to Mersyndol.

I might even find myself quietly cheering on the goats. *Shudder*

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Serfontein must have been a starter, Pollard on the bench. They will wear the starting jerseys rather sooner then later. The old guard obsticle is Meisiekind. He kept out all your decent stock of impressive young midfielder, buying him back from Japan just worsen the situation.

Stormers have been great at Loftus in CC and S15 rugby in the near past. The Stormers youngster have build up a nice away from home record in the last CC (semi & final wins away from home) and struggle more at Newlands, pretty strange but I expect the Brutes to come out all guns blazing on friday. If the Stormers can lead or close to a lead at halftime I expect them to win this one otherwise it can change into a looooooong night at Steri Stampi Bulls Ring.

Jean on the away record
Stormers relish the away trips

by Gavin Rich 19 February 2013, 06:45

There was a time when any mention of Loftus would introduce a pall of gloom to hang over DHL Stormers players and their fans, but that has changed markedly just of late, with the Cape team aiming for a hat-trick of successive wins at the Pretoria venue when they face the Vodacom Bulls on Friday.

It's a far cry from what followed their 75-14 annihilation at Loftus in 2005, and it shouldn't need to be pointed out that the Stormers travel to Pretoria these days in far more confident mood than they did a few years back.

But it’s not just at Loftus that the pendulum has swung for the Stormers.

It is just one of several away venues where the Stormers have started to excel in recent years, and Jean de Villiers, standing in as captain for the injured Schalk Burger, echoed what many people in the Cape have been thinking by hinting that his team have been much happier with their away form than their home form.

“The attitude towards playing away from home has changed a lot over the past few years,” said De Villiers.

“If you look at our track record over the last four to five years, we have been really good away from home and we relish the challenge. If anything, it has been in the home games that we have been disappointing, particularly in really big games.

“Loftus is always tough for a team that goes there, no matter what team that is. Altitude is obviously a factor there, they have a big crowd behind them, and they are of course also a quality side.

"But while it is a bit early in a long competition like this to be talking about winning the competition, to win Super Rugby you have to beat the best and there’s nothing much tougher than playing the Bulls at Loftus.”

De Villiers added that now that the season proper has arrived after a long warm-up phase, he can feel the attitude and approach of the players changing.

“It does feel like everyone is suddenly a lot sharper. A lot was said last year about the long season and we are back into another one, but we haven’t played for a while now and you can feel the excitement building about the season and what is lying ahead. I can sense the changing mood in the camp – everyone is eager to get going.”

One of the most frequently asked questions of the Stormers leadership during the pre-season has centred on their shorter on-field buildup this year.

In previous seasons they played a minimum of four warm-up games and this year only two. When asked the question again on Monday evening, De Villiers said he had little doubt his team was ready.

“I think we will have enough gas in the tank. We’ve had a good off-season and pre-season, and while it is difficult to play at altitude, I think playing at night will help that,” he said.

“Once the adrenaline gets going you don’t think about that, and we have a quality bench that will make an impact later in the game. But there are 15 teams in the competition and you will hear from every one of them that they’ve had a good pre-season and they’re confident. That’s because no-one has played as yet.

“That’s what makes Friday night’s match particularly exciting. Both teams are starting from scratch, both teams are really eager to start off the season well and won’t hold anything back. It should make for a great game.”

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Brutes team (with Super Rugby caps): Zane Kirchner (71), Lionel Mapoe (28), JJ Engelbrecht (17), Wynand Olivier (103), Bjorn Basson (42), Mornè Steyn (106), Francois Hougaard (45), Pierre Spies (89, c), Dewald Potgieter (54), Deon Stegmann (60), Juandrè Kruger (17), Flip van der Merwe (48),Werner Kruger (75), Chiliboy Ralepelle (52), Mornè Mellett (0).
Replacements: Willie Wepener (53), Frik Kirsten (15), Grant Hattingh (9), Arno Botha (10), Jano Vermaak (88), Louis Fouchè (10), Francois Venter (8).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
That's a really really strong Stormers team, even with their injuries. Can't see them being beaten by that Bulls team, even at altitude unless they get off to a really slow start. I'll be surprised if the Stormers attack hasn't improved based on the players they've added. That being said, a lot of a team's ability to attack depends on the coaching staff.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
That's a really really strong Stormers team, even with their injuries. Can't see them being beaten by that Bulls team, even at altitude unless they get off to a really slow start. I'll be surprised if the Stormers attack hasn't improved based on the players they've added. That being said, a lot of a team's ability to attack depends on the coaching staff.

On paper I would agree but at Loftus in the first game of the season the Bulls are going to come with lots of angry. They will play a tactical kicking game as usual and attempt to rush the Stormers into errors. Same thing for oh, 100 or so years.

Will be mighty close but I pick the Stormers by a whisker. Why? Jantjes.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
On paper I would agree but at Loftus in the first game of the season the Bulls are going to come with lots of angry. They will play a tactical kicking game as usual and attempt to rush the Stormers into errors. Same thing for oh, 100 or so years.

Will be mighty close but I pick the Stormers by a whisker. Why? Jantjes.
Brutes by -10 my geuss. They have a lot to prove and a must win home match situation. Stormers will be lucky if they get a bonuspoint out of the first two matches. Sharks up next.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Brutes by -10 my geuss. They have a lot to prove and a must win home match situation. Stormers will be lucky if they get a bonuspoint out of the first two matches. Sharks up next.

I'm picking the Stormers to top the table completely but if they are 0 from 2 I reserve the right to change my mind. Looking at the team lists its hard to find five match-ups where the Bulls have the edge. I reckon the Bulls, with no backline attack to speak of except Steyn's kick and hope, will get totally suffocated. Won't be pretty, scores will be low and close, but the Stormers must win this one if they are the real deal. They could drop either the Sharks away or the Chiefs at home, but this is a must-win game for them.

They've got a tough start leading up to the bye, but it'll get easier after that.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
They've got a tough start leading up to the bye, but it'll get easier after that.
Sure we need at least say 5 points from the first three matches. Home games is must wins. After the bye we'll be much stronger with Schalk and Etsebet back in business.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Jantjies may spart the Stormers backline, but he will probably need a couple games to settle in. Still, I think I will go with the Stormers in a close one.

If the Bulls get comfrotably ahead in the first half though, the Stormers will be toast. I can't see the Stormers chasing the game.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Things I learnt from this game.

- Morne has his mojo back. Oh no.

- Wynand Olivier is not blonde and has been dying his hair all these years. Shame on him.

- The Bulls will play same old same old rugby and as a result will be hard as hell to beat at home but for same reason will not make playoffs. Defense looks awesome so better bring the kitchen sink if you are to beat them in Pretoria. Will get cooked on the road unless they are hiding some magic cure (otherwise referred to as intelligent backline play).

- The Stormers still have a massive backline issue. This has to be coaching. After first phase they are completely clueless. The do not get across the advantage line with the backs and seem to think it's a good idea for five guys to stand on top of each other at second receiver. It took Andries Bekker to straighten the line in the 78th minute. There was nothing to suggest that this year is going to be any different. I will make the bold prediction right now that the Storrmers will get very few bonus points and as a result will not secure a home semi or final. Bank that one.

- The Stormers backline is better when their reserve 9 plays at 10.

- Jantjes left his mojo in Johburg. I hope he goes and fetches it.

- Bulls replacement props >>>>>> Bulls starting props. No more Greyling ever again please.

- Bulls replacement props >>>>>> All the Stormer props

- As mentioned Arno Botha is a beast and I hate saying this but Stegmann was the best forward on the park and I am NO fan of his.

- Players are all looking fit but the Bulls lifted in the last 20 and the Stormers faded.

- Asking the bloke upstairs to rewind the tape six phases back and look for a forward pass is just a silly idea. Only refcam will be more silly.

- Pierre Spies allegedly grew a testicle in the off season. He hit a ruck. Actually he hit a few. I found it mildly disturbing to watch.

- The Bulls cheergirls still kick butt.

Bada bing.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
- How much do the Stormers miss Etzebeth?! Without Schalk he has become their talisman in the pack and without him they struggled to get any go forward momentum.

- Has Deon Fourie spent too much time playing loose forward in the Currie Cup and forgotten his primary duties? The Stormers lineout was an absolute shambles and his throwing in was terrible. Did they win more than one of their own lineouts? No excuse when you have the 6'8'' Bekker as your go to man with at least 3 other very capable jumpers in the pack.

- The Stormers backs were almost anonymous (largely due to the lack of front foot ball). When they did get the ball they just shuffled it from side to side with zero penetration. If Jantjies is just going to pass the ball down the backline every time he gets it, they may as well play their reserve halfback at 10 as he has a better pass!

- JdV is a 12 - play him there. De Jongh can't come back soon enough to allow this.

- Jantjies - Geez, it couldn't possibly be worse could it? Terrible form with the boot really dented his confidence. I realise he had to start given that Grant is not yet available, but throwing him into a massive North/South derby game, in a new team, with minimal pre-season game time under his belt was a huge call and certainly came back to hurt Coetzee.

- As for the Bulls, the only thing that has changed from last year is their commitment on defence. I remember Spies having a similar positive impact early last season, only to fade when the going got tough later in the season.

- Same old shit tactics. Morne bomb, Kirchner chase. Hougaard failing miserably at trying to create pressure through box kicks.

Overall, very disappointing from both teams. The number of unforced errors by the Stormers was almost schoolboy-like. For the Bulls, to come out of that game with an 8 point win, at home, after being awarded a very dodgy try against a terrible Stormers team who could do nothing right and left 12+ points on the field with a number of very kickable penalties missed.... Certainly not a good advertisement for SA Rugby. Surely things can only get better from here!

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This first half rivalled France vs Wales as the shittiest rugby I've watched in a long time. Two of the best Saffer teams can't execute a lineout to save themselves, what's doing...

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm picking the Stormers to top the table completely but if they are 0 from 2 I reserve the right to change my mind. Looking at the team lists its hard to find five match-ups where the Bulls have the edge. I reckon the Bulls, with no backline attack to speak of except Steyn's kick and hope, will get totally suffocated. Won't be pretty, scores will be low and close, but the Stormers must win this one if they are the real deal. They could drop either the Sharks away or the Chiefs at home, but this is a must-win game for them.

Shows how much I know.... My tipping performance this year has not been good.

doleq

Allen Oxlade (6)
I didn't understand why the TMO was ruling on the incident in the lead up to DeVilliers' try. When the ball bobbled around at the base of the ruck, Peyper told the players that it was 'off the foot' and to play on. Once that call is made surely that should be the end of it. Why is the TMO going back to have a look at it? Otherwise a thoroughly forgettable game.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I suppose they may be under instruction to use the video ref to verify anything they may be slightly unsure about?

If that is the case, prepare for lots of sitting around looking at the same thing over and over.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I didn't understand why the TMO was ruling on the incident in the lead up to DeVilliers' try. When the ball bobbled around at the base of the ruck, Peyper told the players that it was 'off the foot' and to play on. Once that call is made surely that should be the end of it. Why is the TMO going back to have a look at it? Otherwise a thoroughly forgettable game.

The rule is that the TMO can go back two phases.

It is a tough decision whether it is better for rugby to have the TMO rule on a decision that the referee has already ruled on but it does ensure that a mistake by the referee in the lead up to a try can be corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.