• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bulls vs Waratahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
DPK said:
Gagger said:
How good a playmaker is Morne Steyne becoming? Set up three lovely tries. The chip was exquisite.

Morne Steyn is going to be the next Dan Carter of world rugby.

I would say next Wilkinson more likely. No shame in that.

Brilliant controlling game, but not as exciting to watch as an in-form Carter or Larkham.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
He's better than Wilkinson already - just look at the two displays on the same weekend

Agree on the Carter / Bernie being perhaps a bridge too far (but then Bernie wasn't a place kicking machine either)

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Have to say that Jonker gave both sides way too much leeway when it was within 5m of either tryling. Players in from the side, playing on the ground, not letting go, sealing off - the whole shebang.

Perfect example is in the 39th minute - Tahs are pressuring the Bulls' line in the 38th minute, Waugh turns to put the ball back and two Bulls front rowers go straight off their feet to seal it off. At other points players are straight in the side or playing on the ground.

Outside the 5m zone he pings even the smallest infringement straight away, but he's not consistent.

If you could bottle that first 10 minutes...

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Jeez I'm amazed the Tahs didn't cop a card or three though - terrible discipline. Similarly I'm as amazed as Joel Stranksy that Jonkers is handing out verbal warnings to the Bulls but penalising the Tahs... Fitzpatrick gets caught in one ruck but the ball is available - penalty. Any other time in the game with a blue leg on the ball: "roll away Blue" x 3. Bulls players get latitude - in the 68th Minute duPreez kicks the ball back into the ruck, but the Bulls get the scrum - why? Its a Tahs feed in that situation.

Morne Steyn appears to be allowed to tackle around the head - three in a row they run at him and he throws the forearms up around the neck or higher. Jonkers does nothing. Similarly Olivier grabs Anesi and rolls him into the ground via the neck. WTF? Are we policing the NRI over player safety?

Bulls scrum is still shit though. Their loosehead Steenkamp can't get down as low as Baxter, so it looks to Jonkers that Baxter is collapsing. I'd like to see anyone try to hold up Guthro when his arse is that high off the ground. Their THP also drops his bind on Robinson with regularity but hey that's OK I guess because they're the home side. That's when the Bulls front row aren't popping up like 120kg pimples

Ah fuck 72nd minute the Tahs are hot on attack in the Bulls 22 and Matfield leans straight over a ruck to grab the man picking up the ball. Clear penalty. Subsequently a Bulls player leaning over the ruck off his feet. That is fucking yellow card material right there. No balls from the ref ...

Disappointed in Jonker over these things. Not saying they could have changed the outcome but like to see both teams get a fair go.

Probably more disappointing was Barnes' defence. Shocking considering his reputation.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
NTA said:
Probably more disappointing was Barnes' defence. Shocking considering his reputation.

Exactamundo. He missed 4 tackles at Loftus but he was also involved in misreads. He's not the only culprit either.

The Tahs defensive pattern has gone with the wind and they are missing more tackles now near the goal line than they have for a while. Folks are strolling through. Once in a Bulls move the ball was going wide and TPN and Waugh were the two outside defenders. They went inside and scored anyway but it is indicative of the Browns Cows defensive efforts of the Tahs in the red zone these days.

They scored enough points against the Bulls to win most S14 games but they gave up 6 tries. If the Tahs were one of the slowest teams to learn to take advantage of the new law paradigm on attack, they are also one of the slowest to realign when oponents take advantage of it.

Come home Less Kiss - all is forgiven.

Let's not talk too much about how well the Tahs have improved until we remember that half the game is played without the ball.

[PS Mind you - there has been a bit of strolling through the Wallabies backline of late also.]

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Having thought about the game more - the Bulls are really starting to look like the Crusaders of recent years. Just that level of maturity and control to know they'd barely seen the ball for 20 minutes, and all of it in the wrong end of the park. The Tahs were going to have to do keep up their efforts of the first 15 minutes for a whole game to beat them.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Nick, if you're trying to say that Jonker was looking Kaplanesque in his bias inconsistency, then I'm with you.

In the second half, as soon as the Bulls enter Tahs territory, he just sticks his arm out for advantage and leaves it there until the play breaks down for any reason. If he'd been serious about any of these surely there should have been a card.

If I was one for conspiracy theories, I'd also wonder if the reason why Matfield passed up 24 kicking points for Steyne was that he somehow knew he'd be getting plenty more opportunities, and that finding their way into the Tahs half wouldn't be a problem. But I'm not.

I feel the same about Barnes' defence, but the more I look at Olilvier's try, the more I think it was Carter not coming in as Barnes was covering the winger who came into the line

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Phil Waugh should have been in the bin halfway through the second half. Any other ref would have binned him.

In the final ten the Tahs should have lost a player. The amount the infringed in the red zone was laughable.

It goes both ways. Let it go fellas.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lee Grant said:
If the Tahs were one of the slowest teams to learn to take advantage of the new law paradigm on attack, they are also one of the slowest to realign when oponents take advantage of it.
Dankie Oom Lee now please send this to the Orc. :yay

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Blue said:

Didn't we reach a [very sensible] board concensus that we would not whinge about the referee when we lost?

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
You're forgettng The Kaplan Clause in that bylaw. My mitigating circumstances are that in my TV smashing rage I often get Jonker mixed up with Kaplan. In that state of mind they are to me the same man.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Biffo said:
Blue said:

Didn't we reach a [very sensible] board concensus that we would not whinge about the referee when we lost?
I'm sure you put that typo in as bait, but I cannot resist when our resident master grammarian bowls a half-tracker like that!!

Moses

Simon Poidevin (60)
Staff member
Great match day experience in store for Tahs fans

HSBC Waratahs fans can expect a high value match day experience for this Saturday’s opening home game of the 2010 Super 14 season with a number of new initiatives being rolled out at the Sydney Football Stadium.

The first 10,000 spectators through the gate will each receive a free HSBC Waratahs flag valued at $10.

In addition to this, spectators will be able to ‘Get on Tahs Turf’ after the game. Around five minutes after full-time, a second siren will sound signalling fans that their opportunity to take the field has started, and they will be able to tread the hallowed turf of the Sydney Football Stadium.

The Stadium box office opens at 5:30pm, with gates opening at 6:00pm in time for a display of Mini and Walla Rugby.

The opportunity for juniors to participate on the field is matched by a new offer in 2010 where registered junior players in New South Wales can attend all HSBC Waratahs matches for free with a paying adult. This offer is redeemable on match days at the Venue Box Offices. For more information, follow the links on the HSBC Waratahs website or click on the following link: http://nswrugby.com.au/TicketsEvents/FreeuniorTicketOffer/FreeJuniorTicketOffer.aspx .

Fans also have the opportunity to add their own piece of value to a good cause with 50c from each match program sold in 2010 going to raise funds for Cerebral Palsy.

“We’ve really looked to raise the value for fans at match days and we think we’re kicking off the season in style this weekend,” said Jim L’Estrange, Waratahs Rugby CEO. “Being able to give away a free item of merchandise is fantastic, and hopefully fans will turn up early to ensure they get their hands on a flag.

“We have also worked hard with the Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust to ensure ‘Get on Tahs Turf’ could go ahead, so we need to thank them for their cooperation. I know there’ll be thousands of kids who will go home with an unforgettable experience by getting on the field.”

Waratahs Rugby has also worked with venue and transport authorities to ensure even better access to the ground on match days.

“In addition to the Circular Quay and Central Station routes, there has also been the reintroduction of bus lines from Dural and Castle Hill to and from the Stadium,” said Mr L’Estrange. “Public transport remains the best way to get to the ground so we’re really encouraging fans to use a combination of bus, train and ferry links to make their way to the match.”

Mr L’Estrange added that on top of all the off-field initiatives, that Tahs fans could expect a lot from on the field on Saturday night.

“I think the clash with the Bulls in Pretoria provided all fans with a positive feel about how this team can play and hopefully they’ll see more of that against what will be a committed opposition from the Sharks,” said Mr L’Estrange.

“It will also be the first home game for Berrick Barnes, Drew Mitchell and Sosene Anesi so hopefully we’ll get a good crowd at the SFS to welcome them to Sydney.”

Tickets are available at www.ticketek.com.au or at the gate.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Gagger said:
You're forgettng The Kaplan Clause in that bylaw. My mitigating circumstances are that in my TV smashing rage I often get Jonker mixed up with Kaplan. In that state of mind they are to me the same man.

Jonker - Dutchman from the highveldt.

Kaplan - Jewish boy from Johburg Northern Suburbs.

It may not appear like it to you, but there's only about the equivalent of three solar systems in cultural difference there, so it's amusing to imagione someone mistaking the one for the other. ;)

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
cyclopath said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:

I'm sure you put that typo in as bait, but I cannot resist when our resident master grammarian bowls a half-tracker like that!!

I have little doubt that you rang around and reached a consensus before your censure? :)

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Blue - no discredit to you, but somehow your comment reminded me of Louis Luyt's remarks after Joel Stransky dropped the goal to win the 1995 RWC.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Blue said:
Gagger said:

Jonker - Dutchman from the highveldt.

Kaplan - Jewish boy from Johburg Northern Suburbs.

It may not appear like it to you, but there's only about the equivalent of three solar systems in cultural difference there, so it's amusing to imagione someone mistaking the one for the other. ;)

Cultural sensitivity lessons from a South African aside, in the heat of the battle (watching footy on the sofa):

They both have dark hair
They are both short
They are both South African
They are both robbing any Aussie team they ref

Easily confused.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Biffo said:
cyclopath said:
Biffo said:
Blue said:

I have little doubt that you rang around and reached a consensus before your censure? :)
No, I condescended to censure non-consensually.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Biffo said:
Gagger said:
Cultural sensitivity lessons from a South African

:lmao: :lmao:
Well there are a huge differense and I am with Blou here, a Jew vs Boer is like akker vs boerewors.

That aside I never am a huge Bonker fan myself but to compare Kaplan to his reffing abilities surely is like comparing north vs south.

Still think Bonker wasnt that bad in this match. All the +e & -e cancelled each other out.

This weekend you have Marks with the Tahs & Walsh with the Brumbies, lets move on and see if there is any complaints. ::)

Status
Not open for further replies.