• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bundaberg Rum announces it will not renew rugby sponsorship

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
I doubt it. They are still supporting grass roots (I think I read that bit right).

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
I've always enjoyed the Bundy Bear rugby ads. Wonder whether this will affect being able to get a bundy at the games?

The last few bundy ads have been horrible, especially the ones promoting the 'Red Label' to compete against Whiskey.

But I doubt they'll stop selling Rum at the games, the line at Suncorp is bigger for Rums than it is to get beers.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Who do we see as being replacements?

Leading into a world cup, Australian rugby shouldnt have too much difficulty getting another sponsor surely?

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
something "local" would be nice. seeing that rabo bank is tied with the rebels now is kinda weird.

T

TOCC

Who do we see as being replacements?

Leading into a world cup, Australian rugby shouldnt have too much difficulty getting another sponsor surely?

Take your pick, there is absolutely no way for us to know who the next sponsor will be, it won't be hard to find a replacement, purely depends on the ARU's asking price

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
great time to back away bundaberg-
bundaberg has been there through some of the worst times in recent wallaby history... 10 straight to the all blacks, several lasts in the tri nations, 50s put on us by the box, consistant losses to england, woeful spring tours... and now on the cusp of greatness- another golden age, a year before a world cup where intrest in the sport will go through the roof with the success on the way they bail?

C

chief

Take your pick, there is absolutely no way for us to know who the next sponsor will be, it won't be hard to find a replacement, purely depends on the ARU's asking price
The asking price for the next sponsorship will depend on the game in Hong Kong, and the games in Europe. It will depend largely on that. One can hope Australia can win them all.

T

TOCC

The asking price for the next sponsorship will depend on the game in Hong Kong, and the games in Europe. It will depend largely on that.

Well not really, whilst the long term success of the Wallabies definitely effects the sponsorship, in the short term it really doesn't play a part, $multi million companies aren't as fickle as your typical fan

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Success has got to count for something, If not bumping up the asking price, at least interesting more companies to make a play for that spot on the jersey.

The advertising managers for these companies would have pressure on them to spend their dollars with a team that that is, A- viewed in a positive light and, B - successful enough to garner significant media interest. A good end to the year would be worth a lot heading into a RWC year.

T

TOCC

I don't think team success is the primary factor, this isn't a naming sponsor deal.
It is the naming rights of the domestic competition, and tv ratings of sporting teams like the wallabeis have a direct correlation to there on-field success, it is a long term trend though, the justifacation for such sponsorship would be looking at a 24-36month cycle of ratings.n

ARU needs to look away from Alcohol sponsorship. Me thinks it will not be too far down the track that it heads in the same direction as tobaco sponsorship and is banned.
Thats a good point, this is a very touch subject for the federal government though, currently alcohol sponsorship accounts for a very large proportion of overall sponsorship support for sports from grass-roots to the professional level. If the Federal Government were to ban Alcohol sponsorship, then there would be a very large hole to fill which wouldnt go down very well with any of the sporting codes in Australia.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Thats a good point, this is a very touch subject for the federal government though, currently alcohol sponsorship accounts for a very large proportion of overall sponsorship support for sports from grass-roots to the professional level. If the Federal Government were to ban Alcohol sponsorship, then there would be a very large hole to fill which wouldnt go down very well with any of the sporting codes in Australia.

The money thus saved from having no sponsorship expenditure could translate to cheaper booze :D

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The money thus saved from having no sponsorship expenditure could translate to cheaper booze :D

.... And higher taxes on booze to cover the money that Jooolia and Co would have to front up with for the sporting codes to cover the loss of $ from the Grog lobby.

Wishful thinking, Methinks.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

It was no different when tobacco sponsorship was banned. Bensen and Hedges Cricket was huge and also the Winfield Cup. Alcohol abuse has never been more in the public spotlight as it is in these times and for that reason it will be quite palatable to large sections of the community for the government to ban alcohol. Although it would upset some sections of the community, I don't see it being as unpopular as you may think.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
It was no different when tobacco sponsorship was banned. Bensen and Hedges Cricket was huge and also the Winfield Cup. Alcohol abuse has never been more in the public spotlight as it is in these times and for that reason it will be quite palatable to large sections of the community for the government to ban alcohol. Although it would upset some sections of the community, I don't see it being as unpopular as you may think.

A look into the crystal ball... the government bans alcohol sponsorship for sports events, so the sports flock to car companies... eventually, car companies are banned... then they flock to banks and insurance companies... which are in turn banned... then fast food franchises... and finally, a return to amateurism.

Status
Not open for further replies.