• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Burgess to start in Hong Kong

Status
Not open for further replies.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
LUKE Burgess, Australia's discovery of the season, has ended almost three months of frustration with a Test recall for Saturday night's landmark Bledisloe Cup clash with the New Zealand.

Burgess has beaten veteran Sam Cordingley to the half-back role for the first Test of the Wallabies' demanding six-match spring tour after missing the bulk of this year's Tri Nations tournament with a knee injury.

Although his 22-man squad will not be announced publicly until Thursday, coach Robbie Deans told the late-blooming 25-year-old of his decision before the Wallabies' first training session in Hong Kong on Tuesday morning.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

JOIN our live event blog and have your say as we feature the final Bledisloe Cup clash between Australia and New Zealand from Hong Kong. Coverage of the historic clash will get under way from 7.30pm, Saturday November 1. The Test will also be showl liver and exclsuive on FOX SPORTS.

Competition: Fly to Hong Kong to see the Rugby Sevens

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Luke did really well with his entry to Test level and was unlucky to pick up an injury," Deans said.

"He's done well with the time he's had with us, he's just getting (his international career) underway so we just want to keep pushing on with that and he brings a real energy.

"It's tough on Sam Cordingley, but Sam's probably already had more than he probably thought he was going to get this year.

"And it won't be the last rugby that he gets either. He's a great bloke in the group."

In other developments today, lock Mark Chisholm learned he would start his first Test of the year, while Timana Tahu joined fellow dual international Lote Tuqiri on the unavailable list and Ryan Cross moved into contention to retain his place in the centres alongside skipper Stirling Mortlock.

Chisholm thought he might well be consigned to life as a bench-warming utility, having been alternating between blindside flanker and lock in recent seasons, before getting his big chance due to a foot injury to James Horwill and Dan Vickerman's career sabbatical.

"The last couple of years I was getting that feeling," said Chisholm, who played the most recent of his 35 Tests at last year's World Cup in France.

"I got put in at six a fair bit, but the last couple of years I've really concentrated on being a lock and it was great that Robbie recognised that."

Chisholm's selection comes just three months after being struck down with chickenpox.

"It was a big surprise because all my brothers and sisters had it when they were young so I just assumed that I got it along with them, as you do," he said.

"It hits you and knocks you around a bit, but I'm back now."

Deans said Chisholm thoroughly deserved to play in what will be the first-ever Bledisloe Cup match contested on neutral territory.

"He's played some really good rugby," Deans said.

"He was in our initial squad. Through misfortune, he didn't get to play.

"He's one of those blokes that's been around for a while but hasn't fulfilled what he's wanted out of the game yet, and he's probably a little frustrated by that.

"So this is his chance, he's obviously pretty excited about it and he's got an awareness of how important it is because he's got that sense of having these chances previously and not taking advantage of them.

"So if he brings that urgency, I'm picking you'll see a pretty good performance out of him."

The luckless Tahu will have to wait for his chance after back stiffness ruled him out of contention for a place in the match-day squad.

Deans also revealed Tuqiri was no hope of making his return from a knee injury until at least the third Test of the tour against England at Twickenham on November 15.

And although the expectation is that Berrick Barnes will make his comeback from a shoulder injury on Saturday, Deans ran Cross and Mortlock together for most of Tuesday's session to suggest that combination may be retained against the All Blacks.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not really surprising as I only expected Cordingley to play back up all tour. Would be surprised to see if Deans goes with a Cross/Mortlock combo again now that Barnes is back.

I think playing Barnes from the start & then finishing the game with two ball running centres is a better option.

I'm sure it will be hot & there will be a lot of kicking early on maybe that's why Henry has gone for Donald/carter & will finish with Nonu when the forwards get tired & holes open up.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Yeah I thought Barnes was our best back and plays the "Deans" way, disciplined with a high workrate.

Aus is a better side with him at 12.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah, I'd start with Barnes. But remember that Cross, other than a shocking missed tackle on Carter, was pretty bloody awesome v the ABs in Briso. Made ground every time.

But I like Disco's approach. Barnes to start with Cross on the bench.

I just can't work out the bench. I'm guessing the starting team is:

15 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Hynes
13 Morty
12 Barnes
11 Mitchell
10 Gits
9 Burgo
8 Brown
7 Smith
6 Mumm
5 Chis
4 Sharpe
3 Baxter
2 Moore
1 Robinson

But then the bench?

16 Freier or TPN? I'm thinking Freier
17 Dunning
18 ??? NO idea? We could go the extra prop, I guess in Alexander. Or use TPN as further back up. Pocock?
19 Waugh, I guess.
20 Cords or Sheehan, probably Cords
21 Cross
22 Turner/Ione, likely Turner I guess.

Its just that 'reserve lock' spot that I am totally unsure about.

F

formeropenside

Mumm is the reserve lock (as well as run on blindisde) - and remember, MMM may well be fit after all.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Noddys line up looks the goods, cept maybe Shmoo to cover 15 or O'Connor as a shocker? And yeah, think you probably need to have both Waugh and Pocock on the bench. Hoiles would have worked better.

Looks like MMMs out till Italy:

TIMANA Tahu joined Australia's mounting unavailable list today as Wallabies coach Robbie Deans scratched fellow dual international Lote Tuqiri for at least the first two Tests of the spring tour.

Tahu was experiencing back tightness - a discomfort stemming as much from a nine-hour flight from Sydney as his chronic hamstring injury - and was unable to take part in the Wallabies' first team run in Hong Kong ahead of Saturday's ground-breaking Bledisloe Cup clash with the All Blacks.

Tahu's latest injury concern is considered nothing more than a minor setback, but Deans was taking no risks and said, given his history of extended stints on the sidelines, it was important to carefully manage the backline ace's workload - especially on such a long and demanding tour.

As the rest of the 34-man squad, including Tuqiri, acclimatised to the steamy conditions in an opposed training session just 12 hours after arriving in Hong Hong late last night.

Tahu and lock Peter Kimlin (quad) were restricted to light running.

Having only proven his fitness for the tour on Sunday, Tuqiri looked to be making steady progress following post-Tri Nations knee surgery.

Deans, though, said the superstar winger remained some way off the pace and would not only not be considered for the All Blacks match but Saturday week's Italy Test in Padova as well.

"He won't be playing this week and he won't be playing next week to be honest, to be fair," Deans revealed.

"He might think otherwise ... but he needs to get some work under his belt."

Tuqiri only boarded the plane for the six-match tour on the condition he continued to show enough improvement to suggest he would be back on the park sooner rather than later, and Deans was adamant today the 66-Test veteran would only remain with the squad "so long as he can use his time constructively while he's with us".

"Every day is valuable," Deans said.

"If he, through the work he does, has a setback, and it gets to the point where there's no advantage with him being with us, then we'll send him home.

"But, in the meantime, if things are going well and there's no setback and he's better to be with our staff who can give him not only the volume of work but also the care, and everything going well, he should be available to play at some point."

Powerhouse No.8 Wycliff Palu (knee) and utility forward Hugh McMeniman (ankle) are the other two squad members not being considered for Saturday's tour opener, which will be the first-ever Bledisloe Cup match contested on neutral territory.

While Palu is considered doubtful for the Italy Test, McMeniman will almost certainly be available after training strongly today and working the lineout seemingly trouble-free.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
.AUSTRALIA star Lote Tuqiri has been cleared to go on the Spring Tour, but coach Robbie Deans warned the powerful winger would be sent home if he suffered a fitness setback.

Tuqiri and No.8 Wycliff Palu, both of whom are recovering from knee injuries, will leave Australia with the rest of the 34-man squad on Monday.

Deans said Tuqiri and lock Peter Kimlin (quad) wouldn't be considered for next Saturday's Bledisloe Cup match against New Zealand in Hong Kong and rated Palu unlikely, though he wouldn't rule out lock-backrower Hugh McMeniman (ankle).

Some conflicting stories on fox sports Gagger, they have on other story that MMM hasn't been ruled out & yesterday I saw him running with the team & taking lineouts.

Hopefully he is good to go as he'd be perfect for the bench spot.

F

formeropenside

Gagger, I have to disagree with you. Hoiles would be a useful reserve against Fiji, Japan, or Portugal. Against the AB's...not so much.

He should convert himself to a no12.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
disco said:
Not really surprising as I only expected Cordingley to play back up all tour. Would be surprised to see if Deans goes with a Cross/Mortlock combo again now that Barnes is back.

I think playing Barnes from the start & then finishing the game with two ball running centres is a better option.

I'm sure it will be hot & there will be a lot of kicking early on maybe that's why Henry has gone for Donald/carter & will finish with Nonu when the forwards get tired & holes open up.

Having lived not far from HK for a number of years I think that it won't be too hot at all. Probably like May weather in Sydney. The temps usually start to come down in mid-October. It should be good rugby playing weather - not too hot, not too cold and not raining (unless you are a forward like me who loves playing in a deluge as you know there will be plenty of scrums and not much ball movement).

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
formeropenside said:
Gagger, I have to disagree with you. Hoiles would be a useful reserve against Fiji, Japan, or Portugal. Against the AB's...not so much.

He should convert himself to a no12.

We're on the same wavelength, but I had him marginally ahead of 3 short opensides all on the pitch at once

Status
Not open for further replies.