• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Bushfires and Climate Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Aussie D said:
(the wind generators themselves are horizontal not vertical like windmills - they are being used alongside freeways where the trucks driving past create enough wind to power the batteries by day to last all night).

That's friggin brilliant - but not for the obvious reason.

See, a mate and I have long discussed the way in which roads shape our environment. We were at Uni in Wagga when we first met, and it hit me on the drive from Wagga to the coast how big the cuttings through the hills on the Hume were. That sort of thing MUST affect weather patterns in a small way, compounded by the amount of traffic that goes down that stretch of road, emitting carbon molecules the whole way.

As the years went by and wind farms started to get talked about, we considered how "clean green" they were. The issue of the damn things wearing out and being cheaper to replace than repair was well known, but there is a hidden environmental cost; the wind doesn't just blow through like it did before there was a wind farm there. There is no proof that wind farms are zero-impact to the environment like the general public are led to believe.

So this plan to generate wind from traffic sounds great to me. The traffic problem is already there, is carbon-based, and unlikely to go away any time soon. So why not leverage its environmental impact into something good, without really affecting untouched countryside with massive wind farms? (I don't have a problem with how they look or sound BTW).

Imagine when we convert transport from carbon fuels to something cleaner? Then the infrastructure is already in place and the impact is further reduced!

Like I said: Brilliant!

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
As an academic Scarfy, what is your view of someone who has three specialities as diverse as cancer research, oil exploration and climate science? He sounds a bit like a Miss Universe contestant.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Contempt.

But most of them aren't academics. Without going back to the page, I would say that only 1 or 2 were full-time academics with doctorates - the bare minimum standard.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I don't think my donkey or any of my other animals would take too kindly to daggering.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
This one just emailed to me.

I just got my 29 January 2010 copy of Science Magazine, which contains an interview with Rajendra K. Pachauri, the future ex-Chairman of the IPCC. In it, he gives the following astounding answer:

Q: Has all that has happened this winter dented the credibility of IPCC?
R.K.P.: I don’t think the credibility of the IPCC can be dented. If the IPCC wasn’t there, why would anyone be worried about climate change?

Hard to believe, isn't it?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Or this indeed?

_47061196_greatbritainjpg.jpg

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Better to be safe that sorry is a good sentiment.

It just concerns me that the IPCC has now lost a lot of credibility, and they seem to be pushing their own agendas, rather than what is right for this earth and our future. It has become a political beast, and we all know when that happens there ends up being millions of dollars wasted for no good reason. Imagine what we could have achieved in food sourcing for 3rd world countries with the money that was thrown out the door for Copenhagen alone?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/tony-abotts-climate-policy-like-soviet-planning-says-ross-garnaut/story-e6frg6xf-1225831758529

Some more irony here:

Mr Garnaut also said the amount of compensation the government planned to give polluters was odious.

"Anything that involves a very large allocation of public money to private industry for no good public purpose is an abomination," he said.

Do you mean things like $250M back to the tv networks?
Or others like a useless insulation program?

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
NTA said:
So... anyone in NSW want to carry on about unending drought now?

I suspect this is directed at me. If there is evidence of a changed weather pattern away from the drier period we have experienced over the last 15 years or so then let me know. If that evidence is just that some areas got a couple of good falls because of the after effects of cyclonic activity, I'm not convinced.

This is the first time for 10 years that plenty areas of country NSW have had a decent moisture profile. However, nothing has changed for other areas.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
BTW Cutter, I was walking around Central Park, NY, and the bloke in your avatar bumped into me jogging.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Not directed at anyone in particular. Just those who refuse to accept that this is the driest continent on earth (which is small bikkies because there are only 6 to choose from) and that Europe is having one of its coldest periods for a long time and that saying its the worst drought in living memory is like saying that my penis is the largest its been in living memory. That's only because people have fucking short memories.

Though the comment on my penis is reasonably accurate. Its certainly not getting bigger and never has been larger than its present size, much to my disappointment

Status
Not open for further replies.