• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
As for the colours... I'm a brumby loyal fan but the vikings name and colour is ok by me... I'm not sure how the other local clubs feel about... In the end the vikings pitched for the team with the brumbies so its theirs...

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I suppose there is some form of ironic humour in a landlocked city sports team naming themselves after a seafaring civilisation.

Oh my bad, I forgot about Jervis Bay ;)
You've never seen a battle between the North and South on Lake Burley Griffin.

Makes Game Of Thrones look like child's play.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Don't forget about the large Scandinavian population and rich cultural linkages to all things Scandinavian.

Canberra has sister city relationships with Beijing (China) and Nara (Japan).

Perhaps Uni of Canbarra Samurai or Uni of Canberra Jianjun would be more appropriate nomenclature.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Crimes reporting that Speight will be wrapped up in cotton wool until eligible for the Wobs....... So won't play in the NRC.

MarkJ

Bob Loudon (25)
The home game against the Rays that was scheduled for Saturday 4 October is now a TV game so is being moved to October 2.

It appears they've now announced all the broadcast games bar the last round.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I suppose there is some form of ironic humour in a landlocked city sports team naming themselves after a seafaring civilisation.

Oh my bad, I forgot about Jervis Bay ;)

True, but with the intimidating names like QLD country and city (that would have taken a lot to nut out!), Lamb chops, a team that is channelling one of Bette Midler's greatest hits (how high you can fly!), a fish, things you expect to only hear from the hippies in Nimbin or from a clairvoyant, and the cutesy twinkle starts - scary stuff!

So the next best war cry after the landlocked is "our fish will get you!"

I am looking forward to the spectacle of watching what will look like 30 cheese balls (31 is you add in the real ball) running around on a field. That will be a sight to see!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
If you are looking for a geographically relevant name, how about the Uni of Canberra Heaters? It is damn cold there for most of the footy season, and there is also a tie in to the main industrial output that the ACT contributes to the Commonwealth - hot air from the Parliamentary Triangle.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
If you are looking for a geographically relevant name, how about the Uni of Canberra Heaters? It is damn cold there for most of the footy season, and there is also a tie in to the main industrial output that the ACT contributes to the Commonwealth - hot air from the Parliamentary Triangle.

I like it....but due to government cut backs, confusion about the ETS, and concerns about carbon footprints and the reverse global warming issue in Canberra, its still locked up in the house of Rep's for debate..................;).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Canberra Fireworks could have been a good one (albeit no longer available as they once were).

Or the Canberra Skywhales!

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Or the Canberra ASADA's because you blokes keep taking the piss

I starting to wonder if a certain few "visitors" are wanting an invite as this thread is almost becoming there adapted home. If you just let us know your Jersey sizes gents........and we can assure you you will look magnificent in red!;)

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Crimes reporting that Speight will be wrapped up in cotton wool until eligible for the Wobs... So won't play in the NRC.

So if the Henry's in cotton bound for the Wallabies, Joe will most likely get a recall, and with Robbie hobbled, any word if they will call up any cover?
I hope they do call in at least one more of the local boys.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Fotu Auelua named as captain with Jarrad Butler and Robbie Coleman as vice captains.

Also in the leadership group are Jesse Mogg and Tim Cree

I like this mix - and be interesting to see both Fotu and Butler getting the chance to lead, with Robbie who has already had some experience leading the 7's and 10's.

Status
Not open for further replies.