• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Canberra Vikings - Offical NRC Team Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There are plenty who would go well at this level and yes I understand the rules around the limit of super rugby players but Robbie Coleman is out for the season so they don't include him in that 14, if he was included than dargaville might of had to of gone back to sydney and a jake rakic or jr morgan (if he wasn't injured) could play 12. Vikings have 13 contracted players in the 22 tomorrow and once tuggeranong get their allocation it doesn't leave much room for anyone else!

shoulder.jpg

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Thought Kamikamica might be getting close to some game time for the Vikings after his impressive play for the Griffins last weekend.

T

TOCC

But the returning to the Kookaburras and Canberra's traditional rugby colours of blue, gold and white is on the cards for the NRC revamp.
The Brumbies, Vikings Group and University of Canberra joined forces to ensure the capital was included in the first NRC campaign last year.
That agreement is winding up with officials working behind the scenes to create a new identity.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/union-news/canberra-vikings-brumbies-jersey-20151201-glcg7u.html#ixzz3t8jfgF00

Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook
1395992276973.jpg

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
It looks like the haters have won. This is in the context of a Brumbies President election. Who is going to replace the Vikings group money. Can't see a sizable increase in crowd because of the name change.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't particularly care if we're the Vikings, the Kookaburras, the Yowies, the Canberra-Queanbeyan Whites or whatever.............

But in a competition saturated in blue and gold the red and black stands out, so I think in this case it's not a good idea to revert back to the ACT colours.

Caputo

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am lost and confused by this proposal. 2014 Canberra Vikings a three way partnership between UC, Brumbies and Vikings make a small profit.

2016 - brumbies coming off their biggest financial loss want Vikings excluded and be an ACT representative team with some collaboration from the University of Canberra and hoped that ANU jump on board.
As the old boss said hope is not a plan.

Until the other JID teams stump up the cash I would be happy with Vikings input.

I do not think the ACT colours should be used because of the clashes with the other Blue, yellow/gold and white teams. I would be happy if the jersey design to highlight more black like Gungahlin

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Wasn't the "Kookaburras" name sold to the Vikings back in the 90's anyway?

wBzeWfP.png

Not sure if the name and logo is still registered to them tho.

And the article says they want to continue playing at Viking Park.

But I agree there's too much blue and gold already. And the Vikings have stumped up their pokie cash where others did not throw in a bean.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Kookaburras is such an old school name, it isn't a progressive step forward for an ACT NRC rugby team. It should appeal to the next generation of supporters not those who can remember back 30+ years, the executive needs to focus on the future long-term branding... I can understand returning to the ACT colours thou...

Vikings are a great local rugby club, very successful in many areas of game and business but a regional team is required...

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The side I believe to truly get ACT/Qbn on board is to change the name or the colours - I do agree with the above statement regarding branding and is the Kookaburras the best "name" for the side - possibly the "Vikings Kookaburras" and go back to old school jeresys - but possibly red socks...lol....I am just typing outloud now...

Anyone think Penca will now make the step-up to the starting 23 now Rowan Perry has moved to Sydney?

Whitehead

Allen Oxlade (6)
The side I believe to truly get ACT/Qbn on board is to change the name or the colours - I do agree with the above statement regarding branding and is the Kookaburras the best "name" for the side - possibly the "Vikings Kookaburras" and go back to old school jeresys - but possibly red socks.lol..I am just typing outloud now.

Anyone think Penca will now make the step-up to the starting 23 now Rowan Perry has moved to Sydney?
I think most people would argue Penca should of been there while perry was in town, wasn't from the right club though! You can't tell me Penca wouldn't of had more impact coming off the bench in that grand final, perry might be a bit better over the ball but when Canberra needed points in the last 20 minutes I know who is better at bending the defensive line!

No.8

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I think most people would argue Penca should of been there while perry was in town, wasn't from the right club though! You can't tell me Penca wouldn't of had more impact coming off the bench in that grand final, perry might be a bit better over the ball but when Canberra needed points in the last 20 minutes I know who is better at bending the defensive line!

Have to agree mate - I think Penca should of been in the 23 - lets hope this year they give him a real crack - prob no more deserving player in act rugby at the moment - of course only looking from the outside but seems to be a real General at Qbn and his leadership I think would of made a big impact in the Vikings side.

I can see your a Qbn man - any news on how they are looking for this season - new players/players left - the islander No.8 and No.5 were insane last year - don't know how at least the no.8 missed out on Vikings selection - are they still around?

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
As someone not from Canberra I don't see why the NRC team couldn't stay named the Vikings and the Tuggarang club side is renamed. I'm sure if the Vikings group is looking for marketing and name exposure going forward the NPC is the place to be and they should be equally sponsoring all clubs.

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Not from Canberra either. Interesting thought, but I'm not sure that bird would fly.

The Vikings Group (and its financial fortress of licenced clubs) grew out of the Tuggeranong Vikings Rugby Club, not the other way around.

If the Brumbies want to split from the Vikings for the NRC, then that's fine. So long as they can pay the money to have a team ...

T

TOCC

It would be like the Reds partnering with the Sunnybank Dragons and naming the team the Brisbane Dragons with green and black jerseys and playing out at Sunnybank. Some of the other Premier Grade clubs and fans would take offence.

Or the Tahs backing the Sydney Stars team as the only NRC venture.

Vikings present an organisation with stadium and facilities for a team to be based at, and more importantly they provide the funding to underwrite the venture, critically important given the Brumbies finances the last 2 years.

Ozee316

Ward Prentice (10)
The conflict of interest with them sponsoring one of the Dominant club teams is the issue. Either the club should be called Vikings or the NRC team but not both.

Sent from my SM-A500L using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.